cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble seems to follow us...

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
This time it is vehicle problems. I am sure I am not the first but I must say, I absolutely HATE the new DEF exhaust systems they have on newer trucks these days. 2nd truck, same problem...only this year we were stranded in the mountains 100 miles to nearest dealership.

We left central Texas on Friday and headed to Santa Rosa, NM State park for one night. No issues that leg of trip. Got up Saturday morning and headed towards Colorado. Destination was to be Blue Spruce RV Park at Valecito. We got about 30 miles from Chama, NM and vehicle message came on stating "cleaning exhaust filter. Keep driving until message clears". No biggie, this is what it is supposed to do. Unfortunately the process would not complete (apparently filter is clogged or something) so power was severely reduced. When this occurs, we were going up hill. Engine power reduced us to 5mph and there was no shoulder to pull off the road. We managed, thank God, to make it to the top and safely pull off the road. At this point we have no cell phone service but we do have Onstar if needed. Turned truck off for a little bit to see if could reset. It worked! We moved on about 11 more miles and it happened again right at the bottom of another incline so we pulled over. Tried to get to reset but no such luck. We called Onstar who routed us to Chevrolet Roadside Assistance. They tell us they can tow truck but not trailer. I am not leaving trailer on side of road. I call Progressive Roadside Assistance who say they can tow trailer but not truck. Chevrolet calls back and says they will tow both for $1000 but will be towed only to dealership. It is Saturday evening and dealership will not be open until Monday. This would force us to stay in hotel for a couple of days.

Before letting either Chevrolet or Progressive dispatch anyone, a nice man stopped and asked us if we needed help. He advised that he could go get his big rig and pull us up Tia Hill and it was down hill from there all the way to Chama. We had already been on the side of the road for 2 hrs at this point and were open to any suggestions. I didn't really like the idea of being pulled up the hill but said I would agree to it if Chama had an open site for us. I called Sky Mountain RV Resort (we are scheduled to stay here a couple of days next week). They were so nice and said they had a summer seasonal guest that they would ask to come get the trailer and hopefully the truck would make it without the extra weight. Awesome! We made it and are here until at least Monday. The owner here said he personally knows a diesel mechanic in town that works on his truck and has worked on several guest trucks over the years. He said very trustworthy and reasonable and he should be able to fix truck and get us back on the road Monday....we hope anyway. Otherwise, we will need to be towed 100+ miles to be fixed at dealership which will really put a damper on our trip.

From reading the Duramax forum, this is a common problem. The exhaust system cleans filter automatically but occasionally it needs to be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned. Sure wish it would gave happened on flater ground like at home vs on vacation in the mountains pullin a fiver.

Oh well, I refuse to let it ruin my trip! We have beautiful views here, it is a nice park and everyone has been extremely helpful and friendly. We couldn't have had this trouble in a better place. We even had one guest offer to let us use his vehicle to sight see or go to town. Of course we refused the offer but it was certainly a nice gesture. We are on flat ground here and can make it into town and back if need be.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually
59 REPLIES 59

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Just read through this thread, interesting stuff. I will add my DEF story and maybe help someone in the same situation.

Last winter I got a message saying "Exhaust System Error". I took it to the dealership and they said it was the EGR Valve. Driving home I got the same message so I took it back. This time they said it was just a computer glitch so they reset the computer. 1 Day after picking it up I got the same message, so I took it back. All in all the dealership had my truck for 11 days and it ended up being the DEF Pump. The tech said GM was a little tight lipped about it, but ended up telling them they a small number of bad pumps installed at the factory. He also said that's why they had a hard time diagnosing the problem because this was the first one they had seen go bad.

I think it must have not been right all along because I now use way more DEF than before they replaced the pump.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

08UltraRider
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
ddschuman wrote:
We got about 30 miles from Chama, NM and vehicle message came on stating "cleaning exhaust filter.

I am confused. My 2013 has never given me a message when regen is going on. Only way I know is increased RPM when stopped.

It takes approx 30 minutes of preferably highway driving to regen the DPF. If you are puttering around town and shut off the truck during the regen it tries to pick up where it left off the next time you drive but if it still doesn't get to complete eventually you will get the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter keep driving" message.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
ddschuman wrote:
We got about 30 miles from Chama, NM and vehicle message came on stating "cleaning exhaust filter.

I am confused. My 2013 has never given me a message when regen is going on. Only way I know is increased RPM when stopped.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
ddschuman wrote:
Ended up being some sort of computer malfunction. Not sure exactly what they did but they "reset" something that was causing the issue. We moved on and are now in Colorado. We have not had anymore issues so far. Mechanic just said sensors and filter were in good shape. Again, not sure what the exact issue was but the truck is running like a champ since he reset.

great news!.. thanks for the info update.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

Ventureman
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up being some sort of computer malfunction. Not sure exactly what they did but they "reset" something that was causing the issue.Ended up being some sort of computer malfunction. Not sure exactly what they did but they "reset" something that was causing the issue.

Is this something that a decent consumer level code scanner/reader could have done?

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
ddschuman wrote:
Ended up being some sort of computer malfunction. Not sure exactly what they did but they "reset" something that was causing the issue. We moved on and are now in Colorado. We have not had anymore issues so far. Mechanic just said sensors and filter were in good shape. Again, not sure what the exact issue was but the truck is running like a champ since he reset.

Any truck can strand you. My 02 no emmission diesel did. Look into coach net for the best Rv roadside assistance.

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
Might have been about plugged and got too hot during a really good regen. They cleared the codes and you were good to go. I'd toss an extra sensor in the dash just in case.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
My 03 GMC doesn't even have a CAT. My only emission problem is paying the yearly $65 emission test!

Not having a cat is a rare model these days. Was that stock or a "modification"?
Emission tests are every two years, I just had mine done.

Came that way, the last year. Think they were sent to CA with CATs. Over 10 years old has to have emission test yearly. Welcome to Calirado

I wasn't aware of the 10 year rule. Something to plan for. Thanks!

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Keep us inform what happen next.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
My 03 GMC doesn't even have a CAT. My only emission problem is paying the yearly $65 emission test!

Not having a cat is a rare model these days. Was that stock or a "modification"?

Came that way, the last year. Think they were sent to CA with CATs. Over 10 years old has to have emission test yearly. Welcome to Calirado

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Had two Cummins diesels. Never again!!!!! If it wasn't regen- then it was some dirty sensor.....

Hemi's do a nice job.....
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RAS43 wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:

My Canadian-built '02 has no cat. Actually, there =are= some days that I wish it had a CAT...as in Caterpillar. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
Tango, AE7UI wrote:
I am glad my '06 D/A does not have that exhaust "cleaning" system.
I will not buy another new because of this EPA******requirements.

When it works, you don't notice it even doing anything but when it doesn't, it sure can get you in a bind.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS