cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck stops.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
After deciding to buy a Fifth-wheel I started thinking what I would need to know about this thing. One of the first things I realized is I have not been at a truck stop with a trailer hitched up since 2003. So what do I do when I pull up to a diesel pump at a truck stop now?
112 REPLIES 112

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
bpounds wrote:
"...the clientele questionable..."

I agree...especially those RVing hippies. Bunch of retired, pencil pushers, driving rigs they have no business driving...acting like everyone is on vacation and shouldn't be in a hurry. Treating me,like I am some type of 3rd class citizen, who shouldn't be allowed to occupy a space near them. They should have to get a special license so they KNOW how to manuever around tight spaces---tired of them "practicing" in front of me.

Can we be a bit less stereotypical?

Are you really shocked that you drive in to a TRUCK STOP and find TRUCKERS at the fuel pumps???????

OP... Truckers are on a 14hr clock. Once the clock starts, it does NOT stop until they take a mandated break. In otherwords, we have no patients for people that hold us up. We already have to many drivers taking their 30 minute break on the island (running joke at the truck stops, based on truthful actions of some).

Fuel, pull forward so the next in line can fuel while you get a receipt or preform a quick fluid exchange. Then move out of the way. I can put on 200 gallon, get a receipt, make a quick bladder check, be back on the road in under 15 minutes-----if I am not held up.

MOST truck drivers understand why you are using the "big truck" island. We respect the space you need, as long as you respect the space we need.

Everyone gets along, if we leave our prejudices in the cab.

My Dad was a truck driver. He put 11 million miles in before he retired. When I use truck stops I get in and get out asap. I am not working and the truckers are. I will not be a problem to the truckers.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
cbshoestring wrote:
bpounds wrote:

Let's just say there is a reason why "lot lizards" have a reputation around truck stops.

Many New York madams are popular in the Hamptons :p. Your point?

I am not a big fan of the chain truck stops, with their fast food, convenient store mentality and crappy service. However, they do tend to keep the lizards away.

Prefer a mom & pop, with good food and service. Then, of course, the showers may be iffy...and someone may knock on the door if mom doesn't make sure the law keeps them off her lot.

Been a while since I have had "that" knock.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
BAD idea leaving your CC...
Yeah, I've heard that but I do it at restaurants too and have never had an issue. Could happen, but small risk.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
cbshoestring wrote:
bpounds wrote:

Let's just say there is a reason why "lot lizards" have a reputation around truck stops.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
That sounds reasonable but I don't think so. I can go inside, leave my card and fill my tank with over the $100 limit with no issues. If it was worry about fraudulent transactions reimbursement, then it shouldn't work then either. They simply wouldn't allow any charges more than their reimbursement limit.

BAD idea leaving your CC.

Send the wife in as she always needs to use the facilities. She tells them amount not to succeed they run the card a give it back with receipt. She does her thing, I do mine. Finish fueling I call her let it ring two times she knows it's time to pay. They run her card again. She gets receipt and we are off once again. VERY simple process.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
one_strange_texan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
one_strange_texan wrote:

I agree about how to pay at lets say Loves. When using your fly J card what discount are you getting since it sounds like it comes out of your bank account. I assume you can't use a Costco/Visa for example and get a nice discount also?

At the truck pumps for Flying J, you would have to go in to have the pump turned on versus doing it all at the pump. The RV lanes may be friendlier about allowing pay at the pump with various credit cards. I really do not remember.

Our Visa card does give credits/rebates/discounts, but fuel purchases are excluded, so it is not an issue that we do not use them.

Not if you have the card...you CAN pay at the pump FlyingJ and Pilot with their card and get @ 8 cent discount.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/

I get that or better using my Costco Visa.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

I agree...especially those RVing hippies. Bunch of retired, pencil pushers, driving rigs they have no business driving...acting like everyone is on vacation and shouldn't be in a hurry. Treating me,like I am some type of 3rd class citizen, who shouldn't be allowed to occupy a space near them. They should have to get a special license so they KNOW how to manuever around tight spaces---tired of them "practicing" in front of me.

Are you really shocked that you drive in to a TRUCK STOP and find TRUCKERS at the fuel pumps???????

OP... Truckers are on a 14hr clock. Once the clock starts, it does NOT stop until they take a mandated break. In otherwords, we have no patients for people that hold us up. We already have to many drivers taking their 30 minute break on the island (running joke at the truck stops, based on truthful actions of some).

Fuel, pull forward so the next in line can fuel while you get a receipt or preform a quick fluid exchange. Then move out of the way. I can put on 200 gallon, get a receipt, make a quick bladder check, be back on the road in under 15 minutes-----if I am not held up.

MOST truck drivers understand why you are using the "big truck" island. We respect the space you need, as long as you respect the space we need.

Everyone gets along, if we leave our prejudices in the cab.

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
So why are gas stations any different than any other e-commerce business. I've never had any problems with any automated processes except at gas stations. Are they so much different than other e-commerce businesses?

The answer to that is self evident: $75 to $100 is enough for the average commuter consumer fuel tank fill up, so there is a natural cap that can be put on the transaction to account for the actuarial calculation and still allow transactions to flow naturally.

Try to do the same for ecom transactions.

Hence the existence of a credit card subset at the trucker pumps, it changes the risk profile.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez...been pulling RVs, boat, trailers, etc. for years and never even thought about filling up. Just always pulled into wherever and proceeded to get gas. Paid at the pump or inside and left. One thing I did learn a long time ago was to never use the first station as you get into town or the last station as you're leaving. Probably doesn't apply to interstates.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
1. Put your credit card in the slot on the pump
2. Remove the nozzle (if you have a diesel make sute you put the green nozzle in the filler
3. Turn on the pump
4. Fill your tank
5. Replace the nozzle when the tank is full
6. Get a receipt (if you want otne)
7. Pull away from the pump and motor on..

:S

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We stay away from Flying J/ Petro.
We use Loves and TA if we use truck stops normally we are not near any as we travel more of the back roads.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
On our first trip with the fifth-wheel I will have a bigger truck than I ever have had and a whole lot bigger camper than I have ever had, Because of the double bigger I am planning on using truck stops and semi lanes. When I get some miles under my belt I will try smaller stations a little farther down the road from the exits. I do plan on getting one of the fuel apps and maybe a Pilot/FJ card.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
So why are gas stations any different than any other e-commerce business. I've never had any problems with any automated processes except at gas stations. Are they so much different than other e-commerce businesses?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
That sounds reasonable but I don't think so. I can go inside, leave my card and fill my tank with over the $100 limit with no issues. If it was worry about fraudulent transactions reimbursement, then it shouldn't work then either. They simply wouldn't allow any charges more than their reimbursement limit.

That's part of the fraud protection process, the merchant is supposed to check the card against the holder, which they cannot do when swiping at the pump. Not saying that the clerk actually does the check, but that's the whole idea why the pump will spin past $100 when you go inside vs swiping it: the card holder has been verified.

Same concept with ecommerce vs in store credit card transcactions: the fee by the credit card processor is higher on ecommerce than it is on in person transactions. There is the implicit assumption that the clerk is making sure the person in front of them is the one who owns the card, hence the lower fee (because there actually is less fraud with in person vs not in person transactions). The hoops you have to jump through to get reimbursed as a merchant are much lower when the transaction was done in person, too, vs when the card "is not present."

These fees and mandates regarding fraud reimbursement are not set by the gas station. My company handles both ecom and in person transactions, that's why I'm so familiar with credit card processor and issuer policy.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"