Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Tire Recommendations?

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I'm surprised to see how fast a 10,000lb 5th wheel has caused my truck tires to wear.

What brand of tires have folks been happy with?

Thanks,
Bill
21 REPLIES 21

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had bridgestone and only got 18k out of them, Replaced them with Nitto and the off road tread wore prematurely while towing. Switched to Yokohama and they were junk at 20K. Switched to Michelin and they are wearing like iron. Well worth the money.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
My "original equipment" Michelins on my 2012 F250 have 63K on them, and I was checking tire prices today. I will replace them within 2k miles with Toyo AT's. I can only hope that they give the same mileage that the Michelins gave.
magic43

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
On my last truck I used two sets of the old Firestone Steeltex, which the set that came on the truck were quite good. The second set were just junk, and I replaced them with 2 sets of the Michelin LTX M/S. The next set was the LTX M/S2. Shortly before selling the truck I put on the Defender LTX M/S. I hadn't driven the newest set long enough to develop an opinion, but the first two sets of Michelins were outstanding tires, and despite towing a fifth-wheel that weighs in around 11000 pounds, the Michelins towed great and wore like iron. When the set of Michelins on my new truck wear out I am planning to go back to the LTX M/S again. Despite the short life of the Firestones, the Michelins lasted around 40-60K and I never had a tires failure with them. Like those Michelins!
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper, I even have them on the 5th wheel.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
Toyos or Coopers. Pretty much anything but Michelins unless you just want the name.
Better tires out there for quite a bit less cash the the Michelins.

Ditto. I'm also happy with the BFG KO2 on my truck.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never understood why some folks experience rapid wearing from towing and others don't. Regardless, I'm going with Michelins, again, even though I had a blowout just last night (think it was from road debris). I've never had good results the few times I've strayed from Michelin with cars or trucks.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Toyo or Yokohama

Firestones are on it from factory and they're really worn. Firestone states they've had issue with factory installed tires not lasting. But replacements are said to be much better.

I've had firestones on a Honda Element and they had phenomenal traction on ice. The tires were really soft to drive on, but they had super traction and lasted forever. They definately were worth the money

I wont get Goodyears and I had Bridgestones i didnt think lasted well for what they cost.

Thanks all for advice.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Toyo
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Toyo or Yokohama

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Firestone Transforce HT tires for years now. Good tires at a good price, but I just thought they would last longer. I am happy with them, though.

I have Firestone Winterforce tires for winter... 2 wheel drive truck, I put snows on the rear during winter.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SH wrote:
I really liked the Bridgestone Duravis that came stock with our Silverado. However, this last time I went with a Hancook that was less expensive. They seem to ride a bit stiff compared to the Duravis but other than that, no issues.

X2 on the Duravis, 2nd choice Firestone Transforce. Last choice anything Michelin, Goodyear, or BF Goodrich.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Have used Cooper AT/3 for years.
cpaulsen

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Toyos or Coopers. Pretty much anything but Michelins unless you just want the name.
Better tires out there for quite a bit less cash the the Michelins.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Have sworn by Michelin for decades but I believe their quality has gone downhill more recently. Have gone thru two sets of Michelin LTX M/S2's. Each set lasted 3 years, about 10,000 miles. Both sets were badly dry rotted but were not part of the recall for such problem on similar tires. I do have XPS Ribs on my 5'er. One year old, will have to see how they hold up.

I now have Yokohama YK-HTX's. They are new so will have to see how they do over time.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)