cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Mileage

Hamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a used TV for my new 3600 Sanibel. Hitch weight is 2,335 length is 39'5" GVW 15,500. This will be my first fifth-wheel. The TV will be 2009-2012.

Thanks for your input
23 REPLIES 23

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just guessing here, but I assume the Pin weight is from the brochure, not good. With a GVW of 15.5K that typically will put the pin some where north of 3K. Now factor in a hitch, passengers, fuel, and anything else in the TV and you'll find yourself pushing the limits of a 305/3500 series SRW TV.
We can only offer suggestions, it's up to you to make the final decision.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely should be looking for a 1-ton TV. I would suggest you take a close look at what each of them can actually haul. They may in fact be rated as a 1-ton truck but suspension, gears, tires and wheels all come into play when picking the best truck. Also take a close look at the manufactures specs.

enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
I've always found it interesting that no matter the size trailer and TV, the numbers are almost always in the same range.

That is because no matter what the trailer or TV - it is still a flat 8 foot wide by 12 foot high surface trying to cut a hole in the air at 60 mph.

Aerodynamics, weight variations, TV gearing can be a few tenths adjustment either way - but the end result is the rig is still trying to push huge amounts of air out of the way.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 35 foot 5er that weighs 14,000 pounds. The truck is a 2013 4X4 F350 CC LB diesel dually with a 6-speed auto and positrac 3.73 rear end. I get 11.5 - 12.5 towing mpg at 55-60 mph and 20-21 empty at 60 mph.

I strongly suggest that you get an auxiliary fuel tank. I have a 40 gallon gravity feed RDS toolbox/tank. Northern Tools carries them.

Tim

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely one ton, and diesel will be best. This trailer is in the exactly the same class as mine. Go with a dualy. I had a chance to try a SRW which felt like the trailer was trying to push the back of the truck sideways on curvy roads. Dual's are much more stable. It will pull solid even in a 40 mph side wind. Been there.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just throwing this out there: I have always HATED diesels. The smell of diesel and its exhaust makes me sick - so I was inwardly cringing when Ed proposed that we buy a 5er and tow it with a diesel truck ๐Ÿ˜ž The first truck he came home with was a 2006 Ford F-250 and within moments of riding in it, my stomach was churning - bleagh.

And then..... Ford came out with a new diesel motor in 2011 that uses urea to clean the exhaust system, We now own a 2011 F-350, and I LOVE it. It's quiet; and doesn't stink!! Not even when I'm standing next to the tailpipes!!

My understanding is that all the truck makers have gone to this urea (also known as "DEF": Diesel Exhaust Fluid). If you've got someone in the family who also hates diesels - you might want whatever year your intended brand switched over to the DEF system??

Also - our F-350 SRW gets 21-22 mpg when just cruising down the highway with no trailer. We're really happy with it! Naturally, you need a bigger truck - but hopefully you'll get better mileage, too?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Hamp wrote:
I am in the market for a used TV for my new 3600 Sanibel. Hitch weight is 2,335 length is 39'5" GVW 15,500. This will be my first fifth-wheel. The TV will be 2009-2012.

Thanks for your input

Hamp, not sure what your subject has to do with your post, but I agree that what you're looking at is firmly in 1 ton diesel range, dually is better. As far as mileage goes, you're looking at around 9-12 mpg, mostly depending on how you drive. Some people report upwards of 15 mpg, but that's very rare. I've always found it interesting that no matter the size trailer and TV, the numbers are almost always in the same range.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
One ton diesel.

Manufacturer of your choice.

Long bed rides more comfortably than short bed.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your into 1 ton country with that pin weight. If your going to tow a lot with it you may as well go dually for the added stability.