cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Twisted Frame Failures Travel Trailers

TTLover
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I purchased a new 2012 Fun Finder Extra 27' Toy Hauler out of Logan UT (RockyMT RV, Cruiser RV) on Jan. 2013. It had some problems that night which they said they fixed and anythiing else they said was covered under warranty in Las Vegas. By the time I got home we had lots of issues with twisting and frame failures. It has been to three dealerships/repair shops. The first one made some repairs but the problems just returned. The second two refused to touch the trailer confirming frame and twisting issues with on giving an est. of $22,000 to fix. Problems have included ceiling cabinets pulling away from the ceiling, Center wall buckling and separating from the floor, doors and windows not opening and closing correctly, the floor and ceiling trim seperates from the floor and ceiling, the floor buckles and creakes when walked on it and sewer pipes leak to name just a few. The dealers out here say the trailer is not safe and that it needs to be returned to the manufacture and replaced. It has been back to the factory with the problems not fix or that it has continued to twist so much on the drive returning home that the issues have returned or broken again. So for over a year it has been at three dealers and at the factory with me not being able to use it. Has anyone eles had these problems. This is a Lippert Frame. I know there has been a lot of 5th wheel issues but not much reported on TT. Lippert has come out and added 4 additional support beams but it has not fixed the problem. Tks
9 REPLIES 9

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer is out of warranty some folks have gone to their insurance company with good results.
Talk with your insurance company agent/adjuster if the trailer is out of warranty for their input.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

guamuchil31
Explorer
Explorer
hi if ur having frame problems ck this guys out socalrvdoctor in lake elsinore they specialize in frames at least they can point u in the right direction.have them show u some examples of the ones they;ve done u will be convinced they can fix ur trailer.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
IF YOU HAVEN"Y OVERLOADED IT, you should continue to press the manufacturer for a full replacement. It is rare but it does happen on occasion that a manufacturer will either do a replacement or full rebuild.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I know of two bumper pull trailers that have frame issues. The one is settling on the sides which has created a hump down the middle of the floor and cabinet issues and such. The other is creating hump front to back from having all the toy weight in the back of the trailer. Both are 6 years old though and have had some rough off road miles, so this was after years of work, I can't imagine having these issues with a brand new trailer.

I am in Las Vegas too, if the trailer is somewhere I could check it out let me know, I would like to see where the frame is giving way so I can compare with others. Send me a PM if you don't mind, wish you the best of luck in a quick resolution.

Just my opinion, once the metal has twisted or bent, it has lost its strenth. I would want a new frame, not just a temporary fix or one that adds a ton of weight. Keep in mind that the $22,000 quotes are likely to add a lot of extra metal to make the fix which adds weight fast, this all cuts down on what you are allowed to bring along in the future.

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
I spent all day this past Sunday welding up cracks, installing new cross members and welding in bracing. I haven't had the problems you're having but I was having frame issues. From all the research I've done it's actually quite common
TV: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab HEMI
TT: 2006 KZ Jag 29JB

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Did you weigh your unit once you loaded all your toys in the back? Sounds like you may have over loaded the unit. This more then anything will cause a lot of frame flexing with toy haulers being as a majority of the weight is on the tail of the trl.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If it will help, I won't buy one. Thanks for the heads up...
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dedmiston
That sounds horrible. How much longer do you have on your warranty? Are you out of warranty already?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Moved from Forum Technical Support