cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Questions for a Potential New Tow Vehicle

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
When I had our current tow vehicle built I ordered Dual 150amp alternators. We are thinking about a new tow vehicle and I have the option for the same dual alternators of 1 250amp alternator. Which is better for 5th wheeling and why?

Also I have the option of having the truck built with a 20k or 24k Curt Hitch already installed at delivery. Anyone have any experience with the Curt 5th wheel hitches?

Merry Christmas
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
22 REPLIES 22

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
FACTS measured amps on my rig:

My running lights LED ..........1 amp rounded up
Brakes ........................12 amps rounded up and short duration, absorbed by batteries
Charging not measure variable 20 amps max
also, single battery...since I have a gas engine.

so total 33 amps....no way I need more than the standard 157 amp alternator
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A single H/O alternator should be fine. Have a stock alternator & 2 group 24 batterys in the truck.

My boat has a single H/O alternator which charged a total of 5 group 31 gel cell batterys arranged in 3 banks switchable to any combination I chose. It worked hard since all of our overnighting was done on the hook & we seldom had more than 1 1/2 hours of run time to recharge.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Not to get too political, but I have to say it. The reason these corporations are making their products out of country is because of the 40% income tax in the USA. Highest in the world! Something to consider come election day... So not buying American just isn't the same as it used to be. Sorry for the rant!
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about going south in a hurry.

I have never had anything but the standard alternator on my tow vehicles and I am on the third.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
So the next time someone is looking at a Ram truck, you will be sure to tell them it's made in Mexico right? Just so the poster can make an informed decision. He may have an aversion to buying items not made in the USA. 😉

Before we start down that road, that question was pretty much settled over on the TurboDiesel Register forum way back in the 2nd generation Ram days. The overwhelming consensus was that the Saltillo built trucks were much higher quality than anything coming out of the now-defunct St. Louis assembly plant. Probably something to do with worker motivation.....

Rusty

Thanks Rusty. You confirmed the point of my post. The country of origin does not necessarily dictate it's quality, whether it's Mexico, China or Canada.

To the OP, based on the responses from those that own a Curt hitch, you should be able to make an informed decision, regardless as to where it's made.

There are some that appreciate being informed. You Sir obviously have issue with anything I have to say and that is fine with me.

Both my 98 RAM's are made in USA and my son ones my first with over 380K and I have one sitting in my driveway with about 345K both AWESOME trucks.

If it were not for the CUMMINS I would most likely;y be driving a GM with D Max and Allison.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
So let's see if you will come back on here and report what I said is true or not??????????

No where in my post did I say you were not telling the truth and I only posted what Curt has on their website.

So the next time someone is looking at a Ram truck, you will be sure to tell them it's made in Mexico right? Just so the poster can make an informed decision. He may have an aversion to buying items not made in the USA. 😉

If you have read any of my posts I freely say my truck was ASSEMBLED in Mexico. I would prefer it was 100% US Made but it's NOT. I also make sure to say MOST of the trucks parts ARE Made in USA. I also make sure to say the PowerStroke is MADE IN MEXICO.

So did you call CURT today??????????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
spud1957 wrote:

Before we start down that road, that question was pretty much settled over on the TurboDiesel Register forum way back in the 2nd generation Ram days. The overwhelming consensus was that the Saltillo built trucks were much higher quality than anything coming out of the now-defunct St. Louis assembly plant. Probably something to do with worker motivation.....

Rusty

Thanks Rusty. You confirmed the point of my post. The country of origin does not necessarily dictate it's quality, whether it's Mexico, China or Canada.

To the OP, based on the responses from those that own a Curt hitch, you should be able to make an informed decision, regardless as to where it's made.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
So let's see if you will come back on here and report what I said is true or not??????????

No where in my post did I say you were not telling the truth and I only posted what Curt has on their website.

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
All Curt 5er hitches are Made in China now.

And you know that why? I'm sure there are plenty of items in your truck and RV that are made in China, along with other countries. I assume that you posted this because of your prejudice for China products? Just because it's not made in the good ole US of A doesn't make it an inferior product does it? Or does it?;)

This is taken from Curt's website.

"CURT employs over 400 associates, primarily at its manufacturing and headquarters in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. CURT operates 10 regional warehouses, each carrying over 2,500 items and has been twice named a Wisconsin ‘Manufacturer of the Year’."

Again as usual, if the poster isn't considering something you have, then you usually find a way to dismiss it. The OP asked for those with experience with the hitch to comment.

Since you spent the time to look at their web site and quote them maybe you should give them a call for your self as MeAgain did. He was seriously considering the Curt until he called them and Curt confirmed ALL their 5er hitches are now made in China.

Yes I "Prefer" US Made products as much as possible and when a US Manufacture changes to China I feel that should be pointed out so people can make an informed decision. The quote you listed from Curt does NOT say 5er hitches are made in Wisconsin.

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The second alternator steals a little horse power from the engine.

Would this have a measurable affect on a new diesel?

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
If you are towing a trailer, there is a maximum of only about 20 amps leaving the Truck towards the trailer for charging it's battery, and perhaps another 20 amps for lights and such.

The brakes can use 20 - 30 amps (two or three axle) at the very most, with oversized #10 gauge wire, but it is such a short term - only 10 - 20 seconds during a 10 minute drive.

A normal 100 - 130 amp alternator can run everything on the trailer. Unless you upgrade the wiring between the trailer to say #8 wire, then it might possibly carry as much as 30 amps.

It would be better to install a solar system on the trailer, and not worry about how many amps the engine puts out.

SunElec.com

$229 will buy a 140 watt solar panel with a aluminum frame. 6" long 2" angle aluminum will make mounts for the roof. UV rated direct burial romex is rated for the sun, rain, and snow!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The second alternator steals a little horse power from the engine. I have a single 220 which should be more than enough.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
All Curt 5er hitches are Made in China now.

And you know that why? I'm sure there are plenty of items in your truck and RV that are made in China, along with other countries. I assume that you posted this because of your prejudice for China products? Just because it's not made in the good ole US of A doesn't make it an inferior product does it? Or does it?;)

This is taken from Curt's website.

"CURT employs over 400 associates, primarily at its manufacturing and headquarters in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. CURT operates 10 regional warehouses, each carrying over 2,500 items and has been twice named a Wisconsin ‘Manufacturer of the Year’."

Again as usual, if the poster isn't considering something you have, then you usually find a way to dismiss it. The OP asked for those with experience with the hitch to comment.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB