cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use for Battery Disconnect?

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Waiting here in Northern Indiana for the weather to improve before taking delivery on a new 5er.
During my extensive shopping for a new unit, I noticed that all trailers had a battery disconnect switch. My 20 year old present unit has no such provision and I don't understand the need. Except for the times that my old trailer went into indoor winter storage, the battery never was disconnected. Is there parasitic power loss in the 12 volt system?
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed
24 REPLIES 24

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason, the last 3 rigs I had still had power to the landing gear and slides with the battery switch off. Those two items appeared to be fed directly off their own from the battery, bypassing the switch.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong, but when we got our new Outback last September, I played around with the battery disconnect switch. With it "off" I could not find anything that had power going to it (shore power was unplugged also). Even the CO2 detector was dead. I then plugged into shore power and the CO2 came back on, as did everything else, and the battery was not charging.

I'm pretty confident, when my switch is "off" and I'm unplugged from shore power, my battery is 100% disconnected. According to my dealer, he says everything is "off", and I can't find any evidence to prove otherwise. I suppose different manufactures do different things there.

I do want to test this further by testing the battery charge when the cables are removed from the posts, vs the shut off over a specified length of time. That's a "Spring" project, once this horrid cold and snow goes away!

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks CB
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
glazier wrote:
If you have the switch turned off, and plugged in to shore power, are your batteries being charged?

If all wires to your battery/ies are connected to your disconnect switch, your battery/ies will not charge.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the switch turned off, and plugged in to shore power, are your batteries being charged?
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added one roatary in design mounted on the bulk head above the batteries! Very much dislike the blade type.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
I use this - works great for me

Amazon and Camping World carry them

http://www.elearnaid.com/badiswwivesw.html
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first additions I made to my trailer. Two weeks between bringing it home and my first trip, battery was dead. Now, along with turning the propane bottles off, I flip the switch to disconnect the battery. Easy enough, one less worry.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.

With all the electronics now, and also hard wired LP detectors, there is always parasitic loss.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!