cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used rv possibly making us sick

Sarahco9
Explorer
Explorer

Bought a used 2003 Sunnybrook 5th wheel in March 2023. Started having unknown weird symptoms  pretty quick. Not just me... spouse and dog too. Dog passed away in Feb 2024. I've had all kinds of sickness for 1.5 years now. No known cause. Some symptoms overlap with spouse like headaches, fatigue, extreme burping and gas, hernias, etc. Now I'm having episodes of blindness, slow heart rate, confusion, temporary paralysis, joint and muscle pain, lots of stomach problems, urinary problems, numbness and tingling, trouble walking, etc. Doctors can't figure it out. Off and on symptoms.

I've also noticed unusual sweet smell when you run the water like maybe coming up from tanks. I can't identify the smell. 

We weren't sick before March 2023. But we moved to Oklahoma and moved into used RV all in March 2023. So many factors, but I just have a gut feeling something environmental is making us sick. 

Could something in RV be making us sick? If so, any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Also, I would get a propane gas detector (they make portable wands) and check that if you have on-board propane. But my best advice is to move out of that rig.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

I would move out of that RV. Could be a lot of mold as has been suggested. Could be a rig that was flooded at one time and they covered up the mold with paneling or carpet, etc. Also, like has been said, do not drink the water. You can sanitize the tank using bleach. Lots of info on the internet on how to do that. I just did mine this week. I sanitize it periodically. I use a product sold for RV water sanitizing, but bleach works too if you follow the instructions. Black mold is deadly. With all your symptoms having started when you moved into the unit, you must get out of there now. It's not safe to live there.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

Check for mold or mildew.  Check closets, storage areas.  It might be good idea, although if the RV was used a lot that you might clean out your water lines with a bleach mixture, like you would do in your fresh water tank.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

you have asked a question in a section that is only for questions/issues/coments on the operation of the actual forum.  try posting this question in the "around the campfire" section of the board where more people will see it and be able to comment.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Something is not right I would stop drinking the suspect water immediately. Maybe find a 5 gallon water jug and get it refilled at the machine outside the 7-11 or the grocery store and use that water only for drinking and see if your condition improves.

Maybe the local law enforcement is willing or able to test and see if it was possibly used as a meth lab before you bought it.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup