cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using Truck Stops

Rogue_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to rving and would like to know if I can use truck stops to refuel my diesel pickup with 5th wheel?
61 REPLIES 61

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
lpxguy wrote:
every time I've used a truck stop's diesel island the pump does not accept regular debit/credit cards...I guess it needs to be a commercial act.

That's correct unless you get one of the pump authorization cards from the truck stop that you're going to. We have one of the Pilot/Flying J RV cards and can activate the pump without going inside - it also gives us a discount (cash price minus some cents). But, we traveled for 2 years without it. I'd pull up to the pump and my wife would go inside. She'd call me when the pump was activated and I'd fuel up. When I was done, I'd pull ahead so the next trucker could get into the pump. She and the kiddo would grab a snack, make a pee and finish up the paying when I was done. I'd hit the head in the camper and we'd be on our way- well before the trucker behind me was done fueling.

About the only catch to truck stops- some of the smaller ones have the pump's computer on the wrong side. There was one that I had to take that nozzle and place it in their garbage can to activate the pump THEN go to the other side and filled my fuel tank. Hung that one up, went back to the computer side, hung it up and went inside to finish up payment. Took me longer than it should - to figure out what I was supposed to do. ๐Ÿ˜„

And, as usual - I agree with Lantley - truck stops are about convenience. If I'm making a 2,000 mile round trip- I'll use something in the ballpark of 200 gallons of fuel. A $0.10 difference in fuel prices works out to be $20 (or less than cost of a meal at McDs for my family of 4 - I'll just pack a couple of cans of tuna fish and call it awash).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I like the truck stops they pump much faster as I have an 80 gal auxiliary tank.:)
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
What are some of the diesel fuel adapters people use?

This has been a good thread, by the way. I will be signing up for the flying J/Pilot rewards card etc. It does seem flying J/pilot is usually the same price or more expensive than the local stations...sometimes by a lot. But convenience is worth something, especially when one is towing a 40 foot trailer.
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
When I use a Truck Stop and it costs 5 cents more per gal I don't care. Usually I purchase about 20 gal. That means it costs me maybe $1.00 more for the fill up. The convenience is worth a dollar.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"When traveling the interstates. Getting fuel is all about access and convenience. Price is secondary. What good is it if the lower fuel price is 5 miles into town at a station that may or may not have easy access?

I'll stick with the truck stops where I can easily exit the interstate and pull up to the pump without a lot of drama. I'm not really concerned if I'm not getting the cheapest price in town."

x2. My rig had roughly 125 gallons between truck tank and auxiliary tank. Lessee...for a full fillup (rarely happened), if there was a $0.10 difference, that would be an increase of $12.50. The hassle of driving through town, worrying about access, etc simply wasn't worth that sort of money.....particularly as stated above when on the interstates: angst of driving through town + loss of traveling time WAS NOT justified by (likely illusory) fuel price savings.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:
butchfuzion wrote:
I don't get where some folks think fuel is higher at truck stops that regular stations. I am a fanatical user of Gas Buddy and I never pull off for fuel until I have checked out the fuel prices. Yeah, sometimes there is a little mystery station somewhere all the way through a city that is a little cheaper but not enough to wonder what kind of situations you might encounter on the way and plus burning several gallons of fuel getting there.

The other thing that you can hit at a station is that sometimes (often) they only have a couple of pumps for diesel and it is hard to see where they are until you are already in a bind. These stations often don't have room to pull out and take a break if you have a big outfit. Oh, and there will usually be some minivan parked at that pump with all the kids inside using the bathroom and trying to remember what their favorite flavor of ice cream is. No thanks! I will take my chances with the truckers every time.

I've rarely seen truck stops that are =lower= than "in town" prices. Perfect example is a Love's about 8 miles from my house. They're right off I-10 on rez land, so you =know= there are less taxes there, yet I can find diesel all over PHX a =lot= cheaper, the lowest being $3.39 way out in Goodyear vs. $3.66 at Love's. $3.49 within 5.5 miles of me. Love's =used= to be much more competitive, but, even with all the discount cards, etc., you can still find diesel much cheaper within a couple miles. YYMV... I, too, use Gas Buddy whenever possible.

Lyle

When traveling the interstates. Getting fuel is all about access and convenience. Price is secondary. What good is it if the lower fuel price is 5 miles into town at a station that may or may not have easy access?

I'll stick with the truck stops where I can easily exit the interstate and pull up to the pump without a lot of drama. I'm not really concerned if I'm not getting the cheapest price in town.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
every time I've used a truck stop's diesel island the pump does not accept regular debit/credit cards...I guess it needs to be a commercial act.
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Pilot/fj/loves. Having easy entry and exit and clearence plus overnight parking and a store makes them my favorite. Had lots of problems at car islands with rude drivers but never a problem at the truck pumps. Had an attendant at a fj in wash tell me only diesel Moho could use the truck pumps, kid was full of it.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
butchfuzion wrote:
I don't get where some folks think fuel is higher at truck stops that regular stations. I am a fanatical user of Gas Buddy and I never pull off for fuel until I have checked out the fuel prices. Yeah, sometimes there is a little mystery station somewhere all the way through a city that is a little cheaper but not enough to wonder what kind of situations you might encounter on the way and plus burning several gallons of fuel getting there.

The other thing that you can hit at a station is that sometimes (often) they only have a couple of pumps for diesel and it is hard to see where they are until you are already in a bind. These stations often don't have room to pull out and take a break if you have a big outfit. Oh, and there will usually be some minivan parked at that pump with all the kids inside using the bathroom and trying to remember what their favorite flavor of ice cream is. No thanks! I will take my chances with the truckers every time.

I've rarely seen truck stops that are =lower= than "in town" prices. Perfect example is a Love's about 8 miles from my house. They're right off I-10 on rez land, so you =know= there are less taxes there, yet I can find diesel all over PHX a =lot= cheaper, the lowest being $3.39 way out in Goodyear vs. $3.66 at Love's. $3.49 within 5.5 miles of me. Love's =used= to be much more competitive, but, even with all the discount cards, etc., you can still find diesel much cheaper within a couple miles. YYMV... I, too, use Gas Buddy whenever possible.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Rogue Eagle wrote:
I am new to rving and would like to know if I can use truck stops to refuel my diesel pickup with 5th wheel?

One issue that I didn't see mentioned is that the truck pumps often times use a much higher-flow pump so foaming can be an issue. I know that, even at a regular pump, I can sometimes have venting issues when the handle is opened wide. This will cause the handle to shut off. When that happens, I have to use a "lower" notch to reduce the flow. Just one other thing to keep in mind. I always carry leather work gloves in my truck and use them when fueling. As others have said, remember that the truckers are working, so be courteous to them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JohnD222
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth,
You do not need a line of credit. Join their rv rewards club for free. You then swipe that card at the pump first, then your visa, and you are authorized to pump without going into the office to pay- and you get the cash price less 3 cents per gallon, not the higher credit card price

Allworth wrote:
If FJ would give me a decent line of credit I would use them. $1,000 doesn't go far at 9.5mpg. They want authority to auto-pull it out of my checking account. No way in He**!! I'll just use my Good Sam Visa with the $17,500 credit line. (And pay it with an e-payment every month after I review the charges.)

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
"I don't get where some folks think fuel is higher at truck stops that regular stations."
x2.
When I know the area and I'm willing to search off the highway I sometimes find better prices;
but on the road the Pilot/FJ price has always been competitive - and with their smartphone app you can check price/location from 100 miles out.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
butchfuzion wrote:
I don't get where some folks think fuel is higher at truck stops that regular stations.

I've seen it many times. Flying J's, Pilot, etc. are often 5 cents or more a gallon higher on fuel (diesel or gasoline) than a 7-11, Circle K, Racetrac, etc. Gotta pay for the marketing, NASCAR sponsorship deal somehow...............:B

Current (as of 0/13) table of motor fuel taxes by state HERE.

Boy are some us gettin' screwed to the wall with taxes on diesel...:M
Driving on some of the moonscape interstates, makes you wonder what they're doing with the money......:h

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer

Softballdad
Explorer
Explorer
I use Pilot/Flying J when we travel, and have never had a problem with truckers while fueling. Just pull up handle your business and move on.
JOB 1 '08 F-350 4X4 LARIAT CC 6.4 DRW 4.10
B&W COMPANION 5TH WHEEL HITCH
EDGE INSIGHT GAUGE CLUSTER
FORD MOBILE EASE HANDS FREE SYSTEM
08 HEARTLAND BIGHORN 3670RL