cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vented tailgate

Hardcandy
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here with a question. What are the pros and cons of a vented tailgate? I have a 8' box with a trifold cover and my stock tailgate on now, what should I do? This wasn't an issue when I had my TT
TV: 2004.5 Chevy Silverado CCLB 6.6L 3500 DRW, K&N, EFI Live 60hp economy/tow tune, 4" magnaflow exhaust, B&W gooseneck W/ B&W Companion
S&W M&P 40cal in the door pocket...
2012 28.5' Jayco Eagle RLS w/super slide
Ruger 45cal on the nightstand
31 REPLIES 31

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a "V" gate a number of years ago because I figured it wasn't if I was going to hurt my solid gate, but when. With the "V" you don't have to worry about forgetting to put the gate down and back up. As far as mileage, you are pulling a trailer or a FW, forget about getting better mileage. As far as safety from theft, I think a large number of them have keys to lock the gate so it only leaves a small place for those pesky thieves to get in if you have a covered bed, which I don't because I don't normally leave anything in the bed that I don't want to get stolen. But then, that's my personal preference and not everybody has the same preferences.
John A. Lichty

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Standing between the truck and the trailer, I lean in through the "V" and plug it in. I also load my 50amp cord (in a milk crate) through the cut down area and my wheel chocks (secured in another milk crate).

Got milk?

Sounds much easier than dropping the gate.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standing between the truck and the trailer, I lean in through the "V" and plug it in. I also load my 50amp cord (in a milk crate) through the cut down area and my wheel chocks (secured in another milk crate).

Got milk?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
How do you with V-gates and with behind the wheel well connectors make your umbilical cord connection without dropping the gate?

I understand you can 'come over' the top of the bed, but it's not as easily accessible as connecting thru a dropped gate.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
I really like mine. Handy brand 80 bucks on CL. Less vacuum in bed. Never open it, unload firewood or whatever very easy from v area. Also much easier to get into the bed with gate up, step right thru v and your in. Very functional for the desert/ off-road camping I do. Been about a year and have no intention of putting stock gate back on.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

brownmht
Explorer
Explorer
Hardcandy wrote:
Newbie here with a question. What are the pros and cons of a vented tailgate? I have a 8' box with a trifold cover and my stock tailgate on now, what should I do? This wasn't an issue when I had my TT

For me it's strictly ease of use. I used to run around a lot of times without the tailgate on at all simply because it's easier. I think the wife got concerned about what sort of image I was projecting and got us a louvered tailgate for Christmas. I cannot say there is a difference in fuel milage. However I can say hooking up is easier and a less sressful.

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tonneau cover on my truck bed and it would be defeating to have a vented tailgate because I lock certain things in the bed of my truck, with the stock tailgate, and then secure the tonneau cover over them.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine off of Craigslist for 50 bucks...almost brand new. Sold my stock one for 250.00. I was exchanging them all the time and finally asked myself why??
People might not like it but it was my choice and it works for me.
cpaulsen

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Hardcandy wrote:

Another perspective -

Positive:
You won't (ever) dent your stock, factory tailgate.
You won't have your (expensive to replace) stock T/gate stolen.
You don't have to drop the "V" gate to hitch up.
Stuff 'flying out' is not a problem - if you plan ahead.
You have a long bed and a tri-fold already, so you can cover the bed anytime when you're not towing. (hitch and? is out of sight, out of mind).
Since I'm not concerned with mileage, I have a solid backing for the lower part, (I have the one with round rods, rather than louvers), as well as a removable "V" section.
If you need to remove the tailgate for a long load, the V-gate is much lighter than the stocker. Drop a corner (oops!) no big deal.

Negative:
I haven't found any negatives yet.
Of course - it won't improve mileage, so that's a negative if you are expecting same.
Inexpensive (but stout) Northern Tool T/gate might look ugly to whatever is behind me/you.....
But - there's lots of very cool, "pretty" V gates avail for more money.

~

Lastly - you can buy an inexpensive V gate from Northern Tool for
about $180 (haven't checked lately - mine was about $150 a few years ago).
It's steel -vs- lots of (nicer) aluminum ones....but I've carried long & heavy lumber (longer than the S/bed) in the "V" with no problem.

~

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the pros already mentioned, I can hookup and backup my boat easier because I can see through the louvers.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one on my truck for one reason and one reason only.......

Full timed, hitched/unhitched 5vr weekly.
The 'U' shaped 5vr tailgate made it easy. Louvered----could care less, it's the way they come.

If I was just weekend camping, vacation travel.....would never have changed tailgate.

The best towing tailgate I saw was a custom job.
Guy took his stock tailgate and had a 'U' cut into and then finish trimmed with a locking insert that filled the cutout.
Very cool....clean set up.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about getting one but couldn't weigh the cost/benefits. I just take my tailgate off when towing. I leave it off most of the summer. Much cheaper than a vented tailgate.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
#1. It is another one of those personal choice items.

spud1957 wrote:
Hardcandy wrote:

I have one. I had it when I had an 8' box. Didn't buy it because I thought it was "cool" or expected to save money on fuel. I bought it because with the 8' box, I could not hook up with my tailgate down or it would hit the trailer. It makes it a lot easier.

S

X3 to above, 1st 5er sat too close to have the tailgate down when hooking, and unhooking.

GregK wrote:
With a trifold cover that normally gives you a secure storage space you would lose that when you go to a vented tailgate.

Many offer a drop in panel that allows using a locking cover, back to personal choice.

one more pro is far less likely to damage a V tailgate, as you don't need to put it down to pull away or back into.

My total investment for three tailgates for two trucks is maybe $100, all bought and sold on Craigslist last was a Custom Flow designed to match the body lines of my Ram.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
2 Reasons for me!
1. Ease of hooking/unhooking.
2. No more suction! Not only did I find my cooler lodged between the 5er and factory tailgate...but I also found my Blue Boy there as well!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB