cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washer & Dryer option worth it?

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at new 5th wheels so that we can do some extended traveling (2+ weeks) now that the kids are moved out. The ones we've looked at, all had the options to add a washer and dryer. Are they worth the extra $$? if they seem to be worth it, should we get a combined unit or separate? Wife likes the idea if they are dependable.
53 REPLIES 53

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought to ask about 120 vs 240 volts. I just assumed! Thanks for that.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I think the value is mainly one of convenience. Sometimes the park laundry might not be available when you want to wash, then you have to watch the time and get back over there to move from washer to dryer, then again to get out of the dryer and hope there is a decent/clean place to fold. With the onboard units, it is much easier to work the chore into other things you want/need to do.

If a full-timer or heavy traveler, I think it would be worth it, maybe not so much for weekend warriors. Didn't know they now have 240V dryers. I'd definitely go that way if I had the choice.
Roaming Full Timer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We have W/D combo. We use it and like it. A separate W/D would be better.
Yes, it's worth the price. 🙂

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We had Sears stackable washer and dryer and it was wonderful. Put in a load and go back outside. We also had a Splendide single unit at one time that we were very very disappointed with it. Small loads and everything came out wrinkled.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a $1500 option in most RV's, and not worth it to me. Sometimes I don't even like doing a "LOT" of laundry at home, but rather take it all to a laundrymat and put it into the 3-5 large machines that tumble the clothes, getting them cleaner, with less damage than a typical upright washer.

And best part is the huge gas dryers dry everything in about 20 minutes. Anything still a little wet goes into one dryer, and that finishes everything, while I am folding and hanging my clothes. So all is done in about 3 hours from the time I leave home until I am hanging everything up at home again. . .

Sure it is OK to wash a few things, but I would rather pack 2 weeks worth of clothes, and then wash them all at once. Usually once I am home. . . You probably have to have full hookups to run the washer - even if your tanks are large enough, as the washer in most systems will not empty into the grey tank. One sticker that I saw in a closet with washer hookups (but not the washer option) says 'grey hose must be connected to run washing machine'.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
We fulltimed for 3.5 years with out a W/D and thought we did not need one.

Then we ordered a new MobileSuites and decided to get the W/D option with the dryer 240V.

WOW my wife can't say enough times how happy she is that we have the W/D. I am happy also. I also have to say I have not seen my clothes look so good for a long time.

They are Whirlpool Apartment size side by side. Both front load.

Be sure to get the 240V dryer unless you want to wait forever for the clothes to dry!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
My wife insisted we have them in our new fiver, and yes I hate to say it, she was right. We had Whirlpool units installed. They do a great job of cleaning but drying can be a long process as the dryer is only 120volts. Well spent $1000 and yes I know that's a lot of quarters.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Wife loves hers,we were not sure but buying used you get what you get .Guys will guffaw while the DW quietly fumes in the background (easy for him to say!).
DW said no more waiting for machine to finish in a campground or worse a town laundromat -ever see them among the mcmanshions?
Push the start button and enjoy a walk or activity of your choice. Ours is a combo unit no issues other then small loads.
I no longer have to carry a big heavy basket home at the end of a trip and carry trailer lining and towels back and forth.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours works well for underwear, tee shirts, cutoffs and other light items. Levies, flannel sheets and heavy towels still go to the Laundromat.

As for being worth it - I don't know. It came with the 2nd hand DP we bought. I have no idea what they cost as an option on a new unit.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.