cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washer & Dryer option worth it?

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at new 5th wheels so that we can do some extended traveling (2+ weeks) now that the kids are moved out. The ones we've looked at, all had the options to add a washer and dryer. Are they worth the extra $$? if they seem to be worth it, should we get a combined unit or separate? Wife likes the idea if they are dependable.
53 REPLIES 53

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
This is what we use , well the wife does. We fulltime and this machine serves our purpose; no laundromat, saves money and no loss of space. I built a pvc laundry rack for the outside ladder and if in a campground that has a problem w/ hanging cloths from the ladder I put in the shower the heavy duty command hooks which I modified to accept a thin laundry line. Size and weight are good also. About 2ft High by 2ft Wide by 14 inches Deep and weighs in at 28 lbs approx. WE have a king bed and wife does 1 sheet and 2 pillowcases or about 4 or 5 tee shirts (mens large) or 1 pair of her jeans size 8-10 and 2 or 3 medium tops as a guide to load size. Retired and not in any hurry!

I have a Couple of Questions. How do you rinse your Clothes in the Panda Washer? Does it have a drain Hose? Also where does the Water go in the Spin Dryer? Does it also have a drain Hose?

All depends were u put it; we 1st had it in the closet and I jury rigged it to the laundry hook-ups (it has a drain hose). We used it for a few weeks by putting it in the shower, and it's latest and final spot is by the entry door where we have it set up as an display table by leveling the top w/ a cookie sheet and small table cloth which sits a lamp,coasters and grandbabies pictures.

Since we have it near the kitchen, we fill the washing side right from the pull out spigot, u wash,drain, rinse, then spin dry, but if ur counting pennies,u can wash everything starting with ur cleanest stuff and save the water by washing, spin, put to the side, then empty tub and fill with clean water and rinse, spin dry and hang cloths. The drain hose is hooked right to the faucet and drains into the sink basin, the spin dry side also uses the drain hose. wash cycle takes about 3 mins same with rinse and spin dry and the amount of laundry detergent used phenomenal = 1 teaspoon per load! go to youtube to see it in action. AlaskaGranny has a good video.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
rmalik1 wrote:
This is what we use , well the wife does. We fulltime and this machine serves our purpose; no laundromat, saves money and no loss of space. I built a pvc laundry rack for the outside ladder and if in a campground that has a problem w/ hanging cloths from the ladder I put in the shower the heavy duty command hooks which I modified to accept a thin laundry line. Size and weight are good also. About 2ft High by 2ft Wide by 14 inches Deep and weighs in at 28 lbs approx. WE have a king bed and wife does 1 sheet and 2 pillowcases or about 4 or 5 tee shirts (mens large) or 1 pair of her jeans size 8-10 and 2 or 3 medium tops as a guide to load size. Retired and not in any hurry!

I have a Couple of Questions. How do you rinse your Clothes in the Panda Washer? Does it have a drain Hose? Also where does the Water go in the Spin Dryer? Does it also have a drain Hose?
God Bless!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
thomas201 wrote:
Does anyone make a propane dryer. With 110, that would seem to be the way to go. Although it would be a propane hog.
I think most NG dryers could easily convert to propane with a new jet.

Gas Dryer Conversion to Propane - YouTube

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Have a combo Splendide in mine. Thought about taking it out. Then, after requirement for FR clothing in oilfield (flame resistant) found that Wrangler Riggs HRC2 are tougher, lighter and far more comfortable than any brand blue jean out there. Will never buy blue jeans again. Too heavy, yet too hot, terrible in rain, and cold in winter. So, why?

Same for shirts where I don't need FR. T-shirts are underwear and always inappropriate past doing some work around house. Plenty of lighter weight non cotton shirts quite comfortable these days compared to 30 years ago. Same for underwear. Lasts far longer too.

For full timing, hard to beat having W/D aboard. Same for long vacations.

Keep the right (better) clothing. The other half of the equation.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
sushidog wrote:
What brand is that machine, malik1? That drier tub looks tiny. Is it plumbed or do you place it in the shower/bathtub to use it?

Thanks,

Chip

Its a Panda, I jury rigged it so it was plumbed in closet close to the laundry hook-ups, but wife wanted it by the entry door and we have a tablecloth over it and a picture and a small lamp more like a small end table.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our w/d stackables in 3 different rigs since 2007...I've never used a drain pan and have never had an issue.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

texas_train
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
We had Sears stackable washer and dryer and it was wonderful. Put in a load and go back outside. We also had a Splendide single unit at one time that we were very very disappointed with it. Small loads and everything came out wrinkled.

2nd this! but ok for the undergarments, socks and such daily small loads while we are out!
2012 Cedar Creek 36 RE Touring ED, all avail options
2011 GMC 2500 HD Denali DMax
2007 Sea Ray 290
Don and Rosie, Annie the wonder DogMost excellent Sea-Ray "Sapphire Queen"
clicky to our photobook album

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:
Thanks for all the great feedback, I think you've help us make a decision. One last Question, Drain Pans, anybody rolling the dice and not using one?

I debated on getting a drain pan when the dealer installed the washer dryer in our last unit. I didn't have it put in. I have a water alarm sitting on the floor by the washer, another one behind the toilet, and one more under the galley sink.

Of course if we aren't in the fiver when a leak starts we won't hear the alarm go off.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
My wife loves our Splendide vented W/D combo....We do most of our camping at our campsite in WVa...no Laundromats near by and even at some campground, it's a real pain and waste of time doing the laundry. In the 5er, wife starts load and goes about her business....Best thing we've done with the space allotted for a washer dryer combo. Going on our 3rd. year with it...zero issues and washes all the clothes and towels, etc that needs to be done....We didn't have one for years and all I ever heard from my wife was that she "wanted one"....now the wife is happy, so I'm happy....:)

Our timing was perfect....Bought our vented W/D combo at Camping world same time we purchased our HD satellite (free installation on both, going on 3 yrs now), and paid $799 for the W/D combo that normally sell's for around $1100.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
It looks like a Panda unit (XPB36) - I just found them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact-Portable-Washing-Capacity/dp/B00AW04ZMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

I don't think the "dryer" is a dryer. It seems to be a spinner tub that you put the clothes into after washing.

Correct it's a Panda, we think its great. But for us we are retired, hate laundromats, didn't want to give up space, didn't want to add the weight of of the larger units.And last but not least we didn't want to spend 1200-1500 dollars, we paid 199.00!!! U just have to hang ur laundry like the old days. We have always liked our sheets hung out even when we were in the sticks and bricks.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone make a propane dryer. With 110, that would seem to be the way to go. Although it would be a propane hog.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't bother in a under 35' trailer ,The sacrifice of space is too great.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We snowbirded in a nice Arizona park for five years and will return again next winter after taking a couple years off to go through our yacht club chairs.

Friday is wash day, and it takes just 2 hours to complete. The park uses a value card system to operate the machines. Equipment was all replaced with new machines that last year we were there and that occurs every few years.

We have magnets with our site number on them to keep track of which machines we are using. Our site is close enough that we walk to the laundry and back.

With the magnets one of us can start the washers and the other move things to the dryers without a lot of confusion. Park housekeeping keeps the area clean.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like a Panda unit (XPB36) - I just found them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact-Portable-Washing-Capacity/dp/B00AW04ZMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

I don't think the "dryer" is a dryer. It seems to be a spinner tub that you put the clothes into after washing.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)