cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Sidewinder Pinbox

lindalp
Explorer
Explorer
Reese Sidewinder Pinbox owners.....I have a 27 ft. Fifth wheel. I am pulling it with a Tundra with a 6 1/2 foot bed. I am considering purchasing a Reese Sidewinder Pinbox. I would like to know how they track at highway speeds....any sway or is there excessive movement in windy conditions? Are you happy with your Sidewinder? Any pros or cons you have discovered.
TIA
15 REPLIES 15

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
drfife wrote:
gtsum wrote:
I use a sidewinder with B&W rvk3600 and it works great. Just wish they made a 19k air model

From B&W instructions:
"Do not use the Companion 5th wheel hitch with any device that changes the location of the king pin pivot point. The king pin on your trailer must rotate in the jaws of the Companion Coupler. Preventing the king pin from rotating within the jaws of the Companion Coupler with a wedge or any other device, such as a Reese Sidewinder or Reese Revolution, could result in property damage, serious injury or death."

That is for the companion hitch using the goose ball as attachment point not the puck hitch. The goose all companion could turn on the ball and u could have two pivotis. I confirmed with etrailer who confirmed with b&w that my combo was good. My dealer who I bought the rig from also confirmed with b&w, so I think I am good. All that being said when I get home from this 2500 mile trip I am ordering a dually with the aisin and will out the mor rude pinbox back on:)

The instructions for the RVK3600 states not to use a Sidewinder or Revolution.

Here's the instruction manual, see page 5:
http://www.turnoverball.com/sites/default/files/rvk3600_03_18_2014.pdf
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

outback_06
Explorer
Explorer
I have one for sale if interested. I had used with my short bed ford. It saved my cab. Towed well with it.

tkd01
Explorer
Explorer
I will add my opinion to the Sidewinder. I had no choice but to use this because I have the RAM Box on my truck. I was told that I couldn't do a 5th wheel because of the Ram Box. The Sidewinder works perfect along with a standard Reese hitch, and my 5th wheel doesn't even come close to hitting the truck cab or side of the bed. I have a Mega cab short bed. I think Reese came up with this because of the short bed trucks and no need for a slider. I love this system, although, as mentioned you have to get used to hitching and unhitching. You must come in straight to hitch. Don't apply the emergency brake when you are unhitching. Some practice and it will be fine. In my situation, this was the absolute best solution to getting a 5th wheel.

Note: I might want to add some advice. Check those 4 bolts on top of the swivel each time you check your wheel lug nuts, and make sure they are at 45 foot lbs. They do have a tendency to come loose. Maybe a drop of blue locktite will solve this.

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
drfife wrote:
gtsum wrote:
I use a sidewinder with B&W rvk3600 and it works great. Just wish they made a 19k air model

From B&W instructions:
"Do not use the Companion 5th wheel hitch with any device that changes the location of the king pin pivot point. The king pin on your trailer must rotate in the jaws of the Companion Coupler. Preventing the king pin from rotating within the jaws of the Companion Coupler with a wedge or any other device, such as a Reese Sidewinder or Reese Revolution, could result in property damage, serious injury or death."

That is for the companion hitch using the goose ball as attachment point not the puck hitch. The goose all companion could turn on the ball and u could have two pivotis. I confirmed with etrailer who confirmed with b&w that my combo was good. My dealer who I bought the rig from also confirmed with b&w, so I think I am good. All that being said when I get home from this 2500 mile trip I am ordering a dually with the aisin and will out the mor rude pinbox back on:)
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er came with a 19.5k SW/5th AB. Maybe they don't make that size anymore. I brought it home from Denver and it felt the same as a fixed pin box but the 5AB makes a huge improvement in the ride. I have a LB so I took the SW off and moved the 5AB back about a foot and adapted it to the 5er plates. A rocker hitch is pretty much mandatory with the SW. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:

From B&W instructions:
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using this setup for over 3 years now without one bit of problem. We have over 12,000 towing miles and love the setup.

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Reese Sidewinder installed on our 2010 KZ 1500.
Initially had a static Husky 5th wheel in the bed of our 2006 Dodge 1500 Mega Cab, 6 1/2 bed.
Like most we found hitching and unhitching to be a challenge.
Our trailer dealer, on his own, inspected our hitch combo after one winter storage and switched the 5th wheel to a Husky 16K W which features a three way articulated 5th wheel. (at his own cost)
100% improvement for hook-up as it is much more forgiving on your approach.

One trick we found was to make sure you release the tension on your hitch by temporarily placing the truck in neutral after you have wheel chocked the trailer. GPG
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

heaterswa
Explorer
Explorer
Have been using our setup since day one and no major issues. The wedge has moved slightly back twice now which will cause a bump to the truck when going into corners. It is easily seen in the rearview mirror as the kingpin to hitch connection appears loose and moves side to side when turning. Takes just a few minutes to loosen and readjust the wedge and tighten back down. The bump it gives does make an uncomfortable feeling and could possibly make an issue on wet pavement if your tires are not in good shape.

-Bryan
Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
The only odd thing is that my trailer sits a little more to one side or the other, depending on which way you turned last. Looking in the mirror I can see that the trailer may follow along a little more on the right or left side. Guess it would be easier to say that it doesn't always return to dead center.

Having just purchased a fifth wheel with a Reese Revolution pin box I don't have a lot of experience with it. However, the trailer should not be able to move side to side unless the wedge has loosened, was improperly installed, or the wrong wedge used. You should have that checked out for your safety. There could be a little play side to side at the pin box and if you can detect that in the mirrors - my hats off to your eyesight.

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

DaYooper
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Revolution paired up with a Husky Hitch and really like the setup and find far superior to towing a travel trailer before this setup. No sway, buffering or being pushed around.

The only odd thing is that my trailer sits a little more to one side or the other, depending on which way you turned last. Looking in the mirror I can see that the trailer may follow along a little more on the right or left side. Guess it would be easier to say that it doesn't always return to dead center.
Steve
SE Michigan
IAFF #2289
2014 Shasta Phoenix 32RE 5er
Husky 16K W Hitch
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD QC
4x4, Auto, 3.73

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
A bit temperamental at times hitching or un-hitching, seemed to be due to binding due to the angle not quite right.

Hard to explain but the "plates"(construction) of my hitch jutted out.
Had them evened out and got rid of most of the problem.

Tracks fine and I think it is easier to back up.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
For most of 3 years, I pulled the trailer in my signature with the 16k Sidewinder when I owned a 1/2-ton Silverado. Tracked fine, I highly recommend for short beds to save the cab of your truck. A bit temperamental at times hitching or un-hitching, seemed to be due to binding due to the angle not quite right. But that aside, doesn't carry the cost or weight penalty of the Pullright Superglide and unlike manual sliders, you never have to remember to engage it.

With a long-bed now, I have removed the wedge and pinned the arm to allow it to function like a conventional pinbox. And the hitch itself? A Reese Titan 16. Zero problems there.

Hope this helps!
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS