Weight Police is in trouble now

rsbabson
Explorer
Explorer
80 REPLIES 80

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, Had my 2-wheel drive Dodge Dually up in N. Dakota during the Fall and Winter. Snow was o.k. (I drive slow and accelerate slowly from a stop.)

The real fun was on the dirt roads (County Roads) when slightly wet. Stuff would gum up the tires just like the caliche back home. Slick as snot.

I would just stay out of it.

Had good laughs watching the 4X4 F- 350 and F-450 Dually's trying to drive normal on the snow and the mud. I found if I crawled on the mud and drove with care on the snow I made the 87 mile one way commute to work without a problem.

Showed DW the Dolly/Hitch and she commented that I needed to investigate that a little more if we get a custom 5th wheel that I have considered. We do not want to buy a bigger truck if possible. (Dually is completely paid for)

Stefan
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
laknox wrote:
missourijan wrote:
OMG, there's no way he can stop that thing. Wonder where this was taken, please tell me so we stay away!

Why? There are 3 axles under the trailer, all with, supposedly, working brakes, the Safety Hitch has its own brakes and 2 axles on the TV. I count 6 axles, all with brakes. The big thing that people forget is that the trailer is supposed to STOP ITSELF and you should NOT even feel it pushing you.

Lyle

Lyle haven't you seen the death and destruction all up and down the hi ways by "unsafe trucks and trailers"? Roads are just littered with them. In my years on the road I have seen....................one such accident. Of course it may have been because he was driving in a snow storm with 60 mph cross winds. But none the less a big safe dually would have saved the day. Oops, ever seen a dually the snow? Never mind.

Chopper, please show the source of your info that this is unsafe?? Otherwise nothing but hot air, especially if DOT approved in every state....
Stefan
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD, 3.73, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.0L (loving it!)
2003 Layton lite 232 BH

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
missourijan wrote:
OMG, there's no way he can stop that thing. Wonder where this was taken, please tell me so we stay away!

Why? There are 3 axles under the trailer, all with, supposedly, working brakes, the Safety Hitch has its own brakes and 2 axles on the TV. I count 6 axles, all with brakes. The big thing that people forget is that the trailer is supposed to STOP ITSELF and you should NOT even feel it pushing you.

Lyle

Lyle haven't you seen the death and destruction all up and down the hi ways by "unsafe trucks and trailers"? Roads are just littered with them. In my years on the road I have seen....................one such accident. Of course it may have been because he was driving in a snow storm with 60 mph cross winds. But none the less a big safe dually would have saved the day. Oops, ever seen a dually the snow? Never mind.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Saw something similar several years ago in Camp Verde. Guy had a big Alfa Gold FW on the hitch. His truck had a rack on it with a Razr above the bed and 2 tanks, 50 gal diesel and 50 gal water, under the deck. Was a SRW F350, IIRC. Will have to dig out my pics and double-check.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
missourijan wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

LukeS
Explorer
Explorer
This is very similar to a Dolly setup on a Doubles or Triples setup. If I am correct the braking on a Semi is rear to front air brake setup. Which helps slow the combination down through proportioning valves. Try stopping in traffic or accident or being cutoff. The weight balance should be ok the TV has to have Diesel not sure if gas 8.1 would
handle it. Anywho I would pull my con gear behind tractor or first trailer and leave it free rolling. Especially in wet or snow/ice weather to avoid locking it up and coming around.
Personally my HD Sub has the truck chassis with 6.0 and I would upgrade to something little more stout like a dually with a Diesel. If the Dolly has hydraulics no worries. The 5er still works with brake controller. I would really only recommend highly experienced drivers not average Joe. Safety is key on this combination. I am the guy who stops at grades lets everything cool down and do a check of everything so I make it down to the bottom. I used to run a Semi with and without a Jake down big grades so again doing it safely is key. Just my opinion and add to enjoyable reading.

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea..and I could see some people doing this in Alberta...but in BC - max length of any RV trailer is 40' so seems that would limit an 5th Wheel to about 32' Not knocking this - looks pretty sturdy and I am all for the extra braking ability..but length becomes an issue when camping..ya start to limit where ya can go.

Me..? I'd likely get a Dually then...

Cheers,

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Okay, everyone agrees how cool this thing is and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Exactly how long is this thread going to last, or any other thread if everyone agreed on everything?

At least most of the posts have been opinions, observations, and maybe even useful thoughts. As opposed to the posts that are just from snipers, and have no use anywhere, except to make the posters feel good about themselves.

People start threads because they want to see feedback and opinion, at least if they're honest about it anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Sure takes the weight off the bed of the truck and who can complain about having extra storage.
I can see where it could be a problem solver for some.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much information. So little knowledge.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
Wow, the number of armchair engineers and the amount of speculation never ceases to amaze me.....let alone the statements that are just flat out wrong....
Bingo. Been visiting this site for 10 years and it never changes. Does make for some comic relief.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
And of course there are the "experts" who think they are the ultimate arbiter, who may indeed know less than the "armchair engineers". But are convinced otherwise. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, the number of armchair engineers and the amount of speculation never ceases to amaze me.....let alone the statements that are just flat out wrong....
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

marspec
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a solid hook-up to the tow vehicle that puts the leverage point well behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle. If, during a panic stop, the total rig is not stopping in a straight line that would put quite a torque on the tow vehicle and probably result in a jackknife, or worse.
2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reese made a version of this tow dolly in the late 90's. We saw one in Eastern Washington and talked to the guy. He had a F350 with custom aluminum flat bed with two quads side saddle on the truck and a large 5th wheel. He was lacking a spare tire for the dolly, but said he was going to get one. He said it handled great. Snoking
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021