cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What 5th wheels have strong frames for double towing?

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am looking to change my camping set up and go with a 5th wheel camper which will double tow my flat bed trailer. I am looking for which manufactures and companies have strong frames that could handle a trailer behind it. The trailer is approx 6k lbs loaded, so not too much weight. Tongue weight is pretty minimal.

I am just not too sure what decent manufactures to start doing research on.

I would say frame strength is priority #1.
#2 would be the quality of the trailer its self.

Thanks
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865
38 REPLIES 38

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitchhikers that had the Youngs frame are good. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
Maybe just get a large toy hauler and you're ready to go?

I have already gone that rout and didn't like it because of the size of the trailer. I had a 3 axle carson toy hauler which fit the buggy inside. I didn't like that rout because the trailer is only used about 20% of the time with the buggy and the rest of the time for other things like hiking or mtn biking which I was stuck dragging the large trailer around when I didn't need one that big.

I think a small travel trailer would be ideal and only double tow when needed.
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
bstark wrote:
An area of concern to me would be one I haven't seen mentioned on here and that's the pin box area of your fiver. Adding the leverage stress of pulling and stopping the combined weight of two trailers with 6k additional yanking on your pinbox is not something to ignore.

Consider carefully how that additional load from any angles it might be expected to impart to the rear of your fiver and what that translates to way up front on the pinbox, a notoriously problematic area if not thick stock and welded correctly.

Yes that is exactly right. I will keep doing research to figure that out. I asked Northwood if they had the structural drawings that I can look at but they said no. I doubt they don't have a structural drawing of the trailers, so i'm just guessing that they don't want to hand them out to people.
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe just get a large toy hauler and you're ready to go?
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

bstark
Explorer
Explorer
An area of concern to me would be one I haven't seen mentioned on here and that's the pin box area of your fiver. Adding the leverage stress of pulling and stopping the combined weight of two trailers with 6k additional yanking on your pinbox is not something to ignore.

Consider carefully how that additional load from any angles it might be expected to impart to the rear of your fiver and what that translates to way up front on the pinbox, a notoriously problematic area if not thick stock and welded correctly.
Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good. Even though I no longer have an Arctic Fox, I still think it is one of the best built rigs out there.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
I don't expect the manufacture to say the limit that the trailer is rated to tow because of liability reasons.

I talked to Northwood last week about their Arctic Fox and was pretty pleased after I talked to them. They said you can add a hitch to the rear of the trailer as an option but the reason they don't rate it is because you can't double tow in Oregon. It is constructed with a 12" I-beam frame and looks very stout.

There is still some research to do but so far the Arctic fox is at the top of my list.
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt if any 5th wheel manufacturer will warranty what you want.
I would be looking at race car haulers/toters on racingjunk.com.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
I consider myself a factory tour geek and have been to almost all the manufacturers-..(SEVERAL TIMES).( haul trailers to dealers). and I will say pretty much without a doubt (except for spacecraft )..no trailer manufacturer will warrant you towing 6000 lb behind their fifth wheel !!!!!!
(Not even sure SPACECRAFT will).

you will be on your own I can almost guarantee that......You are free to disagree.....but GET IT IN WRITING.

About two weeks ago I did a tour at--Augusta RV and they don't even put a hitch on their fifth wheel (mind you it is a triple Axel very custom-built 5th wheel....$150,000.):E
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
I will add from my farm experience with goose-neck trailers that these have heavy frames from the hitch over the tow vehicle and then down to the trailer. Most of this this is hidden in the 2004 Sunnybrook fifth wheel that I use, but the brochure picture showing off the aluminum framework, which also shows some of the steel frame, is not encouraging for pulling an additional heavy load. So the frame we can see is only part of the picture, and a stout receiver at the back end would not compensate for weakness at the front. This is another reason for talking to the manufacturer, since they should be in the best position to know what the overall construction might allow.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
paul_arc wrote:
laknox wrote:
paul_arc wrote:
Hello all, I am looking to change my camping set up and go with a 5th wheel camper which will double tow my flat bed trailer. I am looking for which manufactures and companies have strong frames that could handle a trailer behind it. The trailer is approx 6k lbs loaded, so not too much weight. Tongue weight is pretty minimal.

I am just not too sure what decent manufactures to start doing research on.

I would say frame strength is priority #1.
#2 would be the quality of the trailer its self.

Thanks

Depending on what you get, you'd likely need to reinforce the FW frame all the way to in front of the front axle, to support a 600-800 lb tongue weight. A very few mfrs =might= consider beefing up a frame to handle this kind of weight, but they're very few and far between. Hell, give Space Craft a call and see what a full-on custom would cost. 🙂

Lyle

Thanks for the spacecraft name, its good to know a company that can do something custom.

Suggest visiting the SKPs HDT froum. "Serious" trucks (tractors) and "serious" trailers (with serious pin weights), as well as lots of various talented folks, including a hitch mfgr.

Over the years, several HDT owners double towing - although the number has dwindled.

Several "combinations" by folks hauling jeeps on the decks, etc. -
which might be an alternative.

In many states an HDT can be licensed as a Motor Home (No CDL req'd), however CA has put the kabosh on that one - although HDTs already registered as a MH "elsewhere" (apparently) can still be re-registered as same in CA.

Escapees Heavy Duty Truck forum

Another *custom* trailer mfgr (which usually gets more "votes" than Spacecraft) is New Horizons. Big bucks for either one!

:C

Marysdad
Explorer
Explorer
We just placed an order for a 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L fifth wheel. A 2-inch rear receiver is an unlisted option that they will build into the frame during production. Northwood builds the frames themselves. It ran something like $250.

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
Teton does sound very nice and stout but they are too long than I wanted. Same thing goes with DRV.

I do like the Arctic Fox 27-5L.

Still looking for some more good companies to look at so keep the ideas coming please!

Thanks guys
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Paul, Yes Teton closed around 2008. But, they had a very strong frame, and were quality made units. There are a few out there to be had at a pretty reasonable price.

I'll use this as an example of the Teton frame (apparent) strength. We have Big Foot Leveling system. Or unit weighs in at around 20K ready to go. We only have 4 jacks! Not the six jacks that many units have. Two on the front corners and two, just behind the trailing axle tires. When leveling We do not have any frame flexing. No creeking,cracking or groaning.... So it seems pretty stiff!

We tow a single axle 12' trailer. I don't know the tongue weight, but it's pretty heavy when we are headed out hunting. A 55 gallon drum of water and a 50 gallon propane tank on the bed front, and a Polaris Ranger(with a little other gear) centered over axle as best possible! So far, we've seen no I'll effects. Best of luck in your endeavor! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl