cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the best 5th. wheel hitch?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for opinions on 5th Wheel hitches. What are the 2 best 5th. wheel hitches?
I tow a 34' Heartland Big Horn. I need at least a 18K but would like a 20K hitch?
51 REPLIES 51

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Demco Autoslide and I am happy with it.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NW Explorer wrote:
The Andersen is a great hitch. Mine attaches to a goose neck ball inserted into the factory hitch prep. The hitch is sturdy and quiet, no chucking, impossible to high hitch so you won't do thousands of $$$ damage to your truck and trailer, is super easy to hitch and unhitch - especially if your truck is equipped with a cargo camera. One person can easily install and remove the Andersen in a few minutes AND it's less expensive than most conventional hitches. I can't imagine going back to a conventional hitch!

Have you weighed your pin? The Ultimate has a 4,500# pin rating I would bet $$$ you are over that amount.

My 18-19K 36' Mobile Suites had a pin of 4,500# and Current MS 39TKSB3 is around 6K.

I am also betting you have bed deflection.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen is a great hitch. Mine attaches to a goose neck ball inserted into the factory hitch prep. The hitch is sturdy and quiet, no chucking, impossible to high hitch so you won't do thousands of $$$ damage to your truck and trailer, is super easy to hitch and unhitch - especially if your truck is equipped with a cargo camera. One person can easily install and remove the Andersen in a few minutes AND it's less expensive than most conventional hitches. I can't imagine going back to a conventional hitch!
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Saver air suspension. I liked that it had very robust locking jaws that when closed a square steel block slides between them to stop them from opening. The air ride makes for a nice ride on ruff roads especially in Michigan.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nevadastars wrote:
I am also in the Andersen Ultimate rail camp. Had a Husky slider when I first got the fiver and it was a PITA in comparison, and could not remove it from the truck without help. The Andersen is so simple it's ridiculous and I can connect and disconnect from inside the truck with the remote for the landing gear.

Easy to see from inside the truck to line it up. I had to get out several times with the old hitch if I was alone. The only reason to get out of the truck now is to push in the cable t-handle that is mounted on the fiver overhang and plug in the lights. I giggle every time I use it.

You don't get out to pull the cable?

Not when I load it because it was already out from the last time I disconnected it. :B
2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nevadastars wrote:
I am also in the Andersen Ultimate rail camp. Had a Husky slider when I first got the fiver and it was a PITA in comparison, and could not remove it from the truck without help. The Andersen is so simple it's ridiculous and I can connect and disconnect from inside the truck with the remote for the landing gear.

Easy to see from inside the truck to line it up. I had to get out several times with the old hitch if I was alone. The only reason to get out of the truck now is to push in the cable t-handle that is mounted on the fiver overhang and plug in the lights. I giggle every time I use it.

You don't get out to pull the cable?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Man wrote:
B & W

Nice to hear from you again.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Comes in a fitted box made especially for it and is not going to be damaged or scratched in shipment.

B.O.

I agree with everything you said...except the above statement...UPS can destroy anything.

My Patriot 18k was flawless in the box, the one I bought for my RAM that was shipped via UPS was falling out the box with loose parts inside. I had to do a lot of touch up with the FREE paint B&W sent me.

They are the best built hitches period!
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
B&W for a lot of reasons. Very easy to hitch and unhitch. Made in Kansas by Americans using nothing but American made raw materials. perfect welds and finish. Comes in a fitted box made especially for it and is not going to be damaged or scratched in shipment. Most of all a GREAT company. Look on their website and see how management sent employees out into the community to do painting/improvement projects when business was slow...and paid them for it instead of laying them off...who else does this?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
B & W

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"My truck is a Dodge 3500 long bed. "

2013 or newer, NOT.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Just like which is the best truck, it is all a matter of opinion. Any of the name brand hitches are good.

You should ask the moderator to move this to the 5th wheel forum.

Hoo-ray for the Mod/s!

Didn't need to read any other posts - Why?
'Cause most folks (usually) have had only *ONE* hitch, so theirs is best.

In 2005, I purchased a PullRite SuperGlide. (SB pickup)
Still have it, does everything it's supposed to do, so no reason to change.

Are there other choices? - Sure! - Are they better choices? - Dunno.

You didn't say whether *you* have a short bed or long bed, which matters.

Research *YOUR* needs, don't rely on xx number of opinions on an internet forum - - and above all....
DON'T rely on dealers/salespersons for the correct info..:(

:C

My truck is a Dodge 3500 long bed.

chasmatt45
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched to an Andersen hitch for my new rig. Best decision I've made in a long time. Easy to hitch even on uneven spaces, very smooth pull. Just finished a 1300 mile trip over hilly and winding roads. Very nice. At 40+ pounds it is easy on my back so I can get my pickup bed back
Charlie Matthews
Liberty Lake, WA

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
we are very happy with our 22k Reese.....however we are moving to a Hensley Hitch....pricey but oh so comfortable...
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)