cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would you do??

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Lets say you made a mistake a year ago and purchased a bumper pull toyhauler that fit your bill and you actually liked. Now fast forward a year later, its been back to the factory for their half ***** attempt to fix and appease you and get you past warranty. It pulls like ****, axles to far forward. Come to find out it only has 1/2 ply in the floor...which squeeks and flexes while walking. Every time you look under at the engineering marvel you own you just shake your head and sigh. the good thing is it does have a real 8''I beam chassis...and thats about all its got going for it

Now say you were a competent carpenter, welder and engineer yourself and not relying on paying someone for said work
Would you

1- Add a 3rd axle. (only option as moving both back would be 2 times the work as well as the body work and skirting). possibly add another 1/2 sheet of ply glued and screwed atop factory flooring.( would not go under cabinets just open floor} or try and brace better from under side. Then make other repairs as they come along...and who knows how big or small they may be.

or

2- Dump the junker and loose the money?

Its a good layout, I just don't trust the longevity. The biggest aggravation has been the pulling problem to find it only has 8%TW while loaded and without adding un needed weight it can not be fixed unless another axle or original axle placement is moved.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler
19 REPLIES 19

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Too bad the lemon law doesn't apply to RV's .I'd trade it in and take the loss. Why even hassle it.

Tell me about it. I spoke to my lawyer. He said he would do whatever and felt I have a good fight...but he reminded me I would be going up against a Manufacture with Engineers and many lawyers with pretty deep pockets.

All the things I have read about Travel Trailers, Toyhaulers, frames failing, leaks from the factory you name it...someone somehow needs to get the RV industry up to the highway standards we all have to live by.

It's not right for a man to spend $35k to take his family on adventure and see a frame break, or cheap tire destroy the side wall or 5yrs the wall rots out from a mfg defect. And to think there are guys spending $100k with same problems.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sounds like you are just unhappy with the entire camper. If that's the case, no matter how it's fixed or repaired, or no how much money you invest in it, time and work, you'll never be truly happy with it. Trade it and take the loss.

Your very much correct. Once something doubts you or burns you it's always a step away from bringing back the nightmare.

My big issue with the loss is what I want is about $20k more than what I have. Add my loss and that kinda sucks the cool and fun out a what we do right. I may have to buy some time being I just bought a Ram dually.

I have some feelers with Sundowner and also Millenium Trailers...I have even talked to a Workand Play dealer. I am waiting to hear back on how bad a beating I will take.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
If traveling in California look into the towing laws before considering a horse trailer modification.

Not offense California is not really up on my list.

But for example Sundowner...a well know horse trailer mfg. builds toyhaulers as well as a few others. Purpose built not modified. With 8yr warranties to boot.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Just to throw out some more ideas: Are there any holding tanks aft of the axles that could be moved forward? This would allow shifting more weight to the tongue without actually getting heavier.

Before deciding on a truck camper and enclosed trailer, I also strongly considered car haulers with living quarters over RV style toy haulers. I liked the robustness of their builds and smaller draft behind the tow vehicle. I don't blame for looking these and wanting one.

100 gal fresh above axles all else is forward.

Problem is axles more centered and you get the pendulum act going on as my 4 wheelers sit behind axle. It's 32 ft with 11ft overhanging the rear axle. I called Desert Fox for advice and they laughed that the axles were that far forward.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are just unhappy with the entire camper. If that's the case, no matter how it's fixed or repaired, or no how much money you invest in it, time and work, you'll never be truly happy with it. Trade it and take the loss.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad the lemon law doesn't apply to RV's .I'd trade it in and take the loss. Why even hassle it.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
Just to throw out some more ideas: Are there any holding tanks aft of the axles that could be moved forward? This would allow shifting more weight to the tongue without actually getting heavier.

Before deciding on a truck camper and enclosed trailer, I also strongly considered car haulers with living quarters over RV style toy haulers. I liked the robustness of their builds and smaller draft behind the tow vehicle. I don't blame for looking these and wanting one.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
How much would adding a 3rd axle run you and what's your estimated loss if you trade it in? Taking the emotion out of it and just let the numbers talk and see.

I doubt you'll be happy even if you add the 3rd axle and doubt you'll recover that expense when you go to sell it.

I am estimating around $1200 for the axle and beefing up all original components with a subframe.

The right person would see the benefit of the 3rd axle...but the guy with a golf cart will not.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Y-Guy
How much would adding a 3rd axle run you and what's your estimated loss if you trade it in? Taking the emotion out of it and just let the numbers talk and see.

I doubt you'll be happy even if you add the 3rd axle and doubt you'll recover that expense when you go to sell it.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I know how I feel and what I do when I loose faith and confidence in something...I get rid of it.
Sounds like you are bothered/concerned about more than the floor with this rig. I agree with others - move on.
But, it's not my money.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
+1 taking the loss and moving on.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Wild Card wrote:
samsontdog wrote:
Depends on how much money that you would lose. If it is a bunch and you can do the work I would repair and fix it the way that you want it. I have a friend who added another axle to a 5th w that had a salvage title and needed lots of work. Friend is retired Engineer . He repaired and put another axle under it. That was over 5 years ago and three trips to Alaska and 16 States this summer. He said it was the best thing that he ever did. The 5th w looks like a new one
and tows like a dream {34 ft} He paid $3,500 for it

I would stand to loose in the $3-5K range. typical loss of new off the lot.

I could add the axle for around a $1200 or less.

Based on those numbers trade it.
Losing 3500 is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Will your mods increase the resale value of your unit? Or all they alterations required to make unit viable?
Cut your losses now and move on.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide