cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s been done before or not but I was thinking about keeping a running list of real truck weights by year and type, and trailer weights by brand, size and what the total combined weight is of each guys rig. I was hoping the info would be a help for guys wondering about what the real weights are for a certain type of truck and to keep track of the more popular brand 5th wheel trailers. Another thing that will come out of it will be to see just how many guys really know what they are towing and if they know what their weight capacities are.
Iโ€™m sure it will take some time to compile a list and it will grow as guys add there info but Iโ€™m hoping it will help the newer guys in the long run to be directed back over to this thread in the future.
Iโ€™ll keep the TV lists to mainly the big 3 and from ยพ ton and up and Iโ€™ll try to keep the 5ers in a group by real GVW, length, and then manufacture. Any ideas are welcome as long as it makes things easier. And only real information can be given, so no guessing allowed. Only guys that have scaled there rigs or are totally certain of the weights.
Letโ€™s see if I can keep the format real simple to type down and that will make it simpler for guys to refer back to and to keep track of.
Here we goโ€ฆโ€ฆ

TV - 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 4x4, real scaled weight with full fuel, hitch, DH-DW and misc. gear = 7,500lbs. TV GVWR is 10,200lbs
5ver โ€“ KZ New Vision TH 38ft 14,500lbs loaded GVW. GVWR is 18,000lbs
Normal running TV & TH GCW weight= 22,500lbs, TV GCWR is 23,000lbs
Real Wet Pin Weight=2,950lbs
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
859 REPLIES 859

Glen_Schumann
Explorer
Explorer
4kyyote wrote:
PatricioFamily wrote:
This is interesting. There is so much mis-information out there. For 6 months we were pulling a TT that we were told was 7800 lbs dry. Come to find out it was really 10,200 lbs. We have been wanting to find a truck weight station and test for ourselves what are weight really is just to be sure. But dont know if we are permitted to do this. We just thought it would be a good way to know for sure. What do you think? Anyone every tried this before?

I don't know about your state, but up here in Maine, if the scales are open and busy, sometimes we find a "portable" State Police Scaler, usually in the spring, but most anytime. If not busy, you can ask if you see one, if they'd weigh you. This way you can weight each axle as well as whole rig. Or check w/your local S.P. barracks. Your taxes pay them don't forget.

You can go to a Cat scale at any truck stop. The cost is about $10. You weigh twice, once hooked and once with just the truck. The ticket gives you weights for each axle of your TV and for the trailer axles combined.
2013 Redwood 34 SK (36'11", e slides, dual pane windows, self leveling, full paint)
2010 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Duramax/Allison 4X4 LB
B&W Companion Hitch on Rollover Gooseneck Ball
Handmade Pens, Glenโ€™s Workshop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlensWorkshop

4kyyote
Explorer
Explorer
PatricioFamily wrote:
This is interesting. There is so much mis-information out there. For 6 months we were pulling a TT that we were told was 7800 lbs dry. Come to find out it was really 10,200 lbs. We have been wanting to find a truck weight station and test for ourselves what are weight really is just to be sure. But dont know if we are permitted to do this. We just thought it would be a good way to know for sure. What do you think? Anyone every tried this before?

I don't know about your state, but up here in Maine, if the scales are open and busy, sometimes we find a "portable" State Police Scaler, usually in the spring, but most anytime. If not busy, you can ask if you see one, if they'd weigh you. This way you can weight each axle as well as whole rig. Or check w/your local S.P. barracks. Your taxes pay them don't forget.

Av8orlouTX
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I was extra heavy this particular time I was carrying some firewood in the fiver and extra stuff in my tool box and truck bed. I am not usually this heavy but I was this day because I had a lot going on. I wasn't camping I was just taking the fiver in for warranty work.
2015 GMC Denali HD Z-71 4x4 Duramax
2004.5 Chevy 2500 CC SWB Duramax (lly)
2013 Cedar Creek 34rlsa
2003 Four Winns Funship 214

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
Av8orlouTX wrote:
Steer axle 4100
Rear axle 6800
Trailer 10,400
Combined weight 21,300lbs
Heavier than I thought it would be but it works for me.
2004.5 Chevy D/A 2500 HD and 2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA

Lou,

Your rear axle weight seems very high.

Do you know your unhitched rear axle weight? I would have guessed under 3000lbs.

At 6800lbs... and 3000lbs empty... your looking at a pin weight of ~3800lbs.

The dry pin weight of the 34RLSA is 2085lbs. I'm curious about the factory options you added and what other heavy items you may have loaded in the trailer. What's the dry weight of the trailer from the yellow sticker on the door?

Or possibly you are carrying other heavy cargo in the bed of the TV.

To ensure you're not exceeding the weight ratings, use free the calculator at Fifth Wheel St.
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
sidney wrote:
Av8orlouTX wrote:
Steer axle 4100
Rear axle 6800
Trailer 10,400

Lou,

Do you know your unhitched rear axle weight? I would have guessed under 3000lbs.

The dry pin weight of the 34RLSA is 2085lbs. I'm curious about the factory options you added and what other heavy items you may have loaded in the trailer. What's the dry weight of the trailer from the yellow sticker on the door?

Not only high, but possibly exceeding the GAWR, and worse yet depending on tire size the tire weight rating.
My 265/75-16 would only have 30# to spare at that load.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Av8orlouTX wrote:
Steer axle 4100
Rear axle 6800
Trailer 10,400

Lou,

Av8orlouTX
Explorer
Explorer
Steer axle 4100
Rear axle 6800
Trailer 10,400
2015 GMC Denali HD Z-71 4x4 Duramax
2004.5 Chevy 2500 CC SWB Duramax (lly)
2013 Cedar Creek 34rlsa
2003 Four Winns Funship 214

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Scaled out today

...........Truck..Truck/trailer..Ratings
Steer......4,560#.....4,840#.....4,850# GAWR
Drive......3,480#.....5,420#.....8,250# GAWR
Trailer..................9,220#....12,000# (2x6,000# axles, 13,820# GVWR)
Total......8,040#.....19,480#...20,000# GCVW 11,500 GVWR

All of us in the truck and fueled to go. All but food in the trailer. Pretty much Ford's stated limits of a 2004 F350. Pin 1,940# trailer 11,440# Good thing I pack light.....
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

rugersdad
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Chevy D/A 4WD CC DRW pulling 2011 Cardinal 3450 RL pulling a trailer with a 2013 Can Am Commander LTD Truck 11,960 truck with both on scale 27,580.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from trucking, weight limits are legal limits. That mindset carries over into scaling out my personal equipment. In states with split speed limits did you ever read the weight limits that go with those restricted speeds? Seen many an RV pulled over for thinking the sign did not apply to them. Ohio is 55 mph for vehicles over 4 ton empty weight. How many pickups / RV's are over 8,000#? My F350 is. So while the legal limit is 20,000# per axle or what you axle and tires are rated, experience says trying to explain the rules to the officer on the side of the road, is seldom productive or ends in my favor.

While I may have miss spoke and they might not be "legal limits" in my RV, in an age of sue happy people for my own piece of mind and safety I will operate as if. When the lawyers get tired of trucks and realize RV's are a lucrative market they will start here. That motor home with the tire issue that set 5,000 acres of Arizona on fire back in 2011 sure had a few legal issues. There are always legal ramifications for what we do.

Be safe...
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

jdude
Explorer
Explorer
2007.5 megacab & 2008 challenger 35ckq. Steering axle 4560# drive axle 6100# trailer axles 10,600# Total weight21,260#

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
DW-gray wrote:
mdamerell wrote:
I find this thread interesting and frustrating at the same time. Having driven class 8 trucks in all 48 contiguous states over the last 17 years, I have never had so many issues trying to ensure I am with in all my legal limits. I can find some of the information here and some there and even within the paper work that came with my truck, once I put it on the scale, I find a different story. Searching the web I find even more contradictory information.

Dealers have no idea what vehicles can legally pull what. I was told all I needed way a 3/4 ton, but as I do the math and weight things, I appear to be near the limits of what my book and I feel comfortable with, having a 1 ton dually to pull my meager 5'r (13,820# GVWR by the manufacturer's paperwork). Will have to weigh in the spring when reloaded for the season.

It's no wonder so many say "puck it" and just go!

Well, did you look at the information found at Fifth Wheel St?

What do you mean by "legally tow"? I don't think many of us are illegal unless you are towing drunk without a seatbelt on and making tacos while you drive. 13,800 could be a lot for a 2500 if the pin is up around 2500lbs or more. If so, Ride Rites would do the trick. There is no "legal" and when is comes to non-commercial towing and there is very little difference between a diesel 2500 and a 3500. Both will pull 13,800 without a problem. The 2500 might just need a little help holding up her arse since the springs are a little lighter than the 3500.....

Just the facts, sir.

ww07
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
I find this thread interesting and frustrating at the same time. Having driven class 8 trucks in all 48 contiguous states over the last 17 years, I have never had so many issues trying to ensure I am with in all my legal limits. I can find some of the information here and some there and even within the paper work that came with my truck, once I put it on the scale, I find a different story. Searching the web I find even more contradictory information.

Dealers have no idea what vehicles can legally pull what. I was told all I needed way a 3/4 ton, but as I do the math and weight things, I appear to be near the limits of what my book and I feel comfortable with, having a 1 ton dually to pull my meager 5'r (13,820# GVWR by the manufacturer's paperwork). Will have to weigh in the spring when reloaded for the season.

It's no wonder so many say "puck it" and just go!

Well, did you look at the information found at Fifth Wheel St?
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

dgwilson40
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the weights of my 07 Monty 3400RL and my 03 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.
TV Weight w/ Trailer Attached 10300
TV Weight 7940
Trailer Kingpin Weight 2360
Trailer Gross Weight 13100
TV & Trailer Combined Weight 21040
Vertical Load (Kingoin) 18%

This puts me about 1300# overweight. I have had no towing issues with this setup. I'm running an Edge monitor that shows the engine and transmission are running well wit in specs. Just need to have an exhaust brake and I will be in great shape

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
RGCG18 It may also be a good idear to subtract any off your weight over standard aloved for + any pasengers.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.