I am converting my trailer to disk brakes and wondering what is best
2019 Ford DRW C/C
2017 Vintage with living quarters 44'3 Axle
I caught a fish once -it was fun
8 REPLIES 8

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We will never put near the miles on our tat as we will our tow vehicle. I think that grease is fine.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
I had a conversation with MORryde about this very thing when the naval engineer across from us said that we had "oil caps" on our Kodiac rotors. MORryde was using these caps because the previous caps had a tendency to fall out. They went on to say that the seals and small internal volume of the hubs are not suitable for oil bath configuration. (When I posted this info on the brand-specific forums I'm on, this was confirmed by two automotive engineers. The consensus is that a good, high-temp grease is the best for our RVs.

Rob

Thats good to know, I have the disc brakes, was wondering about a change. I will stick with the grease I use . I have heard guys bragging up the oil bath setup, guess its not what its cracked up to be.

It is if the internal volume of the axle/hub is large enough and the seals are the correct ones. One of the engineers cited "gallons" of oil for 18-wheeler axles vs. a pint for our RV hubs. That's a lot more oil to absorb and dissipate heat and a lot more space for expansion.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel Bearing Grease, I'm good with pulling wheels once a year to look at bearings and repacking.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
My son had oil bath on a saltwater boat trailer. No thanks.
But...I would love to have Vault hubs on the 5th. I have them on my saltwater boat trailer. Bought new 2014. No maintenance yet. Dexter owns Vault, I don't get it.
https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/ufp/product-documentation/hub-hub-drum-hub-rotor/flyers/the-vault-hyd-lub-system-(lit-704-00ufp).pdf?sfvrsn=2
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I had a conversation with MORryde about this very thing when the naval engineer across from us said that we had "oil caps" on our Kodiac rotors. MORryde was using these caps because the previous caps had a tendency to fall out. They went on to say that the seals and small internal volume of the hubs are not suitable for oil bath configuration. (When I posted this info on the brand-specific forums I'm on, this was confirmed by two automotive engineers. The consensus is that a good, high-temp grease is the best for our RVs.

Rob

Thats good to know, I have the disc brakes, was wondering about a change. I will stick with the grease I use . I have heard guys bragging up the oil bath setup, guess its not what its cracked up to be.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My Kodiak kit came with oil covers so I tried it. I ran the initial oil for 5 years, no problems, and I changed seals and oil in 2019. After 5 years, I could still see the machine grooves in the rotors... I'm easy on brakes.
The new oil is staying a LOT cleaner, now that my old bearings and the new cups are run-in. I run the bearings at zero to maybe a gnats butt of clearance... I'd prefer zero but some of the locks won't let me set the nut that way. I ran to Phx. last Oct. 75-80 mph and the hubs were 94-98 degrees.
Each hub took 3 oz. until I poked a tiny vent hole in the middle of the rubber plugs and added another oz. with a syringe.
Oil always worked good on my trucks and trailers, when I was in that business. I used Stemco oil covers on the front truck axle and the trailer axles. I use 75w140 syn. Craig

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, seals made for greased hubs will not always hold oil.
For a vehicle that gets a lot of miles, grease will increase fuel consumption.
For years I maintained a storage trailer for a builder. It would set for months between moves. I packed the bearings on it so did not need to worry about leaks/contaminated brake shoes.
Can't see much advantage to oil bath bearings on RV trailer, except bragging rights.