cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Roof Vent Cover Mfg. ??

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
MaxxAir, VentMate, Camco, others ??? Which is best value/dollar? Which color? Do they always come with installation hardware?? Shopping for a vent cover for the standard roof vent, (not over a fancy fan). And Where to buy? Thanks folks.
20 REPLIES 20

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I installed Maxxair covers. The older model, not the newer Maxxair II with mitered corners.

Most important feature to me was safely driving down the highway with the vents open. No fear of the wind tearing the lids off. Second important, is I can leave all the vents open while in storage and never worry about weather.

I like the fan idea, but we boondock so much, it would not be worth it to us.

Definitely worth ~$20 and 15 minutes.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MIKECBROWN wrote:
In that demo, I would bet $$ that the fan-tastic vent cover doesn't have a screen. The Maxx-Air has window screen that is easily removable. A screen blocks a lot of airflow.

No screen. Think about it your fan already has one.

My Areo Flo vent had no screen. Spent some time on the roof cleaning junk out that got Through the vent louvres. Replacing it with one with a screen. Bath room fan just needs to run to keep circulating air to keep down the humidity and clear the air from a number two. Going to give it a try anyway. Only $17 and change, free freight from Amazon

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MIKECBROWN wrote:
In that demo, I would bet $$ that the fan-tastic vent cover doesn't have a screen. The Maxx-Air has window screen that is easily removable. A screen blocks a lot of airflow.

No screen. Think about it your fan already has one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
planter8 wrote:
scottykrug wrote:
Three years on one and two on the other with colorado snow loading. Another reason we went with white was the amount of light it let in. If you want it dark go with the smoke colored as mentioned above.

Smoke lets in plenty of light. If you want it dark you should get a black cover

x2
I didn't even know mine where smoke until the rv guy put that white one in!!:B Light in was the same but boy heat coming in was WAY different with the white one.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

planter8
Explorer
Explorer
scottykrug wrote:
Three years on one and two on the other with colorado snow loading. Another reason we went with white was the amount of light it let in. If you want it dark go with the smoke colored as mentioned above.

Smoke lets in plenty of light. If you want it dark you should get a black cover
Planter8
2014 Keystone Avalanche 361TG
Ford F150 3.5l Ecoboost

scottykrug
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD
2015 Puma Palomino 295BHSS
Copilot (DW) Navigator (DD) Flight Engineer (DS)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to buy a vent cover, do yourself a big favor and install a Maxxair Turbo Fan. Installs right over the existing vent same as a plain vent cover. Don't buy anything with a rain sensor.

The fan is 'outside' the RV so you don't even hear it. If you have 2 roof vents if you turn that puppy on it will recycle the air in your RV in seconds like a wind tunnel! Have only one vent close all the windows but one and same wind tunnel cooling!

With this fan I hardly have to use my ac anymore. And of course you can leave it open all the time.

Definitely get smoke colored roof vent covers. I had one of my 'smoke colored' factory vent covers get ripped off in a storm and mobile repair replaced it with a white one.

Later that year during summer I was walking thru the coach and all of a sudden I felt a sudden wall of heat......I was standing under the replaced 'white' vent cover. Boy had no idea how much heat comes thru those white ones! Replaced it that day with a smoke colored one. Big difference.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremiah,
The roof vent covers allow you to keep the vents open in any weather. The very first time we camped with them I left the vents open during a torrential rain storm (we weren't in the camper). When we returned there wasn't a drop of water inside. I was sold! The only downside is they do cut down on the amount of light that comes in from the vents.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 Fantastic fans and the vents hoods hey make as well To the comment about screens for them they do have them available and are not too spendy. I have them for mine. Also to the comment about what they are good for, I used to think just to keep rain out with the vent open, but a friend had a vent cover ripped off his motor home in high winds while in the Midwest. That sold me to add them to my 5er.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing is, you can have the vent open in the rain. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stupid, slightly off topic,

What do these things really do? Any reason to add one to my pop ups roof vent?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had a Camco on one vent and it broke in many pieces due to heavy snow. The other 3 were Maxxair and were fine. Now all are Maxxair!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
After stubbornly sticking with Areo Vent for years I finally give up. After even improving there plastic cover I keep finding shattered plastic on the roof. Gets brittle even after a years use.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I believe mine are Camco and I like them because the top portion is easily removable via a hinged cover to clean the mildew and dust from the inside.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.