cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tow rig?

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, triple slide. The dry weight is 14,050 lbs., I figure 1000 lbs. of gear, my motorcycle is about 950 lbs., hers is 650 lbs. We try to two with minimal onboard water and empty grey and black tanks. I currently have a 1996 Ford F-350 DRW with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke and auto trans. It gets the trailer where it needs to go, but it really struggles on the hills and starting off, plus it is really old and I worry about the reliability. Fortunately our favorite camp grounds are not very far away, but we want o start venturing further. So my question is this, who runs a trailer this size and weight and travels long distances with it and what tow rig do you use and how well does it do. I am looking to buy a new truck, but not sure what to buy. Do I really need to look at medium duty trucks like an F-650 or a Kodiak? The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine. Not sure I really would go that route, but maybe the motor is preferable but in a DRW. Any experienced advice is welcomed.
2006 Forest River All American Sport
2007.5 Chevy Crew cab Duramax DRW
2011 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
2007 Harley Davidson Deluxe
42 REPLIES 42

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The GVWR for a 1996 dually is not nearly as high as the 2005 and later F-350 dually's. Even the 2005 SRW F-350 was 11,500 GVWR with about a 4,000 pound cargo rating. I would be recommending a 2011 and later 6.7L diesel dually.

Sure you can look for a good used Volvo, and remove the CENTER axle, then you will have a 450 HP towing beast, and no need to worry about it for another 100,000 miles. Heck the oil changes are recommended every 50,000 miles or 6 months. I know a trucker who got a new rig in October, and had a 15,000 mile oil change just after Christmas, even though the first oil change was not recommended until 50,000 miles. He thinks nothing of driving LA to Portland OR in 2 days.

Any Volvo in the 350,000 to 400,000 mile range would be a great candidate for your use. Selling the center axle can pay for part of the conversion costs too. The rear axle does not have the locking diff, and is not set up for a output shaft, that is why you sell the center axle. You should not be using the center axle as a drive axle.

Normally they come with a pair of 150 gallon diesel tanks, larger sleeper, and lots of space inside! The turning radius is pretty tight, with the tires turning very sharp when desired. It should handle better than a pickup when empty, due to the air ride, and get pretty decent mileage. Check commercial truck trader.com

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Binkley2, don't forget that Ford makes a 450 dually, I believe, on a 350 frame. Now, I don't know all the specs on it, but it may be an option as something in between the 350/3500 and the 4500/Kodiak, or larger, trucks.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LOL....looks like you got the weight cops bent out of shape with the 8.1 2500 truck pulling it fine which it probably did in the previous owners mind. Some folks thinks towing is all about power which the 8.1 has hands down for that much weight.
The 8.1 comes in many MDT size vehicles. However the 2500 truck with the 8.1/Allison/AAM 11.5" rear axle which the one ton DRW had, doesn't have enough springs/rear suspension for a safe tow.

Anyhow a mute point.

A medium duty truck isn't needed for a 16k-18k trailer. .

You have enough truck but that much weight with a 1996 7.3 simply doesn't have the power/towing performance in the hills as you found out.

The newer Fords/GM and Ram 350/3500 DRW trucks have tow ratings up to 30000 lbs with 350-400 hp and more importantly 650-850 ft lbs of torque.
All three trucks have 9350 to 9750 RAWR which has plenty of load carrying capacity for that size trailer and even heavier.

I'm not a brand cheerleader. Simply choose the brand that suits your needs/wants.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a trailer of similar weights with a 3500 Chev DA. All weights are within limits.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like the original owner is a card carrying member of the "Pulls Fine" club.
I wouldn't go for anything less than one of the newer 350/3500 Diesel Duallies. But in your case, bigger could be better. But as mentioned, you won't know until you have an acturate weight on that beast.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with C-bears. Load it up and take it across a scale. Odds are it weights more than you think it will. Regardless, I'm betting you'll be in newer 350/3500 DRW range.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dblr wrote:
Kenworth tractor last June along with a Smart car on the deck, use to tow with a 05 Ford F350, what a difference.
Excellent.

What I like about the larger trucks is the sheer weight. That big tow isn't going to be pushing you around.
dblr wrote:
on the other hand if you do not like being the center of attention..
Ever drive by a golf course and have men stop what they're doing and look?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Clicky for good a good posting going to an HDT.

A lot of good info and opinions here. Have talked to several HDT owners and their points are a more power, sharper turning, safer braking, and less cost. Camped nest to one that had a small car mounted up on the back of his HDT along with two motorcycles.

Bill

X2 on a HDT, we bought a Kenworth tractor last June along with a Smart car on the deck, use to tow with a 05 Ford F350, what a difference. But on the other hand if you do not like being the center of attention and like being asked a lot of question DO NOT go the HDT route. As for me I made a great choice.
Check out the Escapee forum boards under HDT for plenty of info on this subject.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a solid 14,000 pounds dry, and add over 1,600 pounds of motorcyles, you are over 15,600. A FW that big you will probably add closer to 2,000 pounds of food, clothing, tools, kitchen ware, towels, sheets,....on and on....

If you haul auxiliary fuel you may be over 18,000 pretty quick. I assume it is a triple axle. Since the guy you bought it from probably was not telling the truth about being able to pull it with his truck, check to see if there are G-rated tires on it (or higher). Believe it or not, it may have came out of the factory with tires not rated for all the weight you will end up having on it.

It is was me, before deciding on what truck to start my search for, I would hook up and take it across the scales with the motorcycles loaded. Even if you don't have all your stuff in it yet that will put you in the general ballpark on weights. It will be $10.00 well spent.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky for good a good posting going to an HDT.

A lot of good info and opinions here. Have talked to several HDT owners and their points are a more power, sharper turning, safer braking, and less cost. Camped nest to one that had a small car mounted up on the back of his HDT along with two motorcycles.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Binkley2 wrote:
I recently purchased a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, triple slide. The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine.

I'd definitely be looking in the 550 or MDT range...but that's just me and my wife often says I'm also full of baloney...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
New 350/3500 diesel dually in any 'flavor' will handle it without going over ratings.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Binkley2 wrote:
Do I really need to look at medium duty trucks like an F-650 or a Kodiak?
Yes, but the 650 will ride like a shopping cart. If you have too much money lying around the Freightliner Sportchassis is a good rig. If you have time and want something really capable, get a Class 8 OTR tractor that's been rebuilt for large RV hauling.

Binkley2 wrote:
The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine.
He's lying. There's a good chance he got rid of it because it was not handling fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman