cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tripod stabilizer?

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to try using a tripod stabilizer while we're spending the winter in the Texas Hill Country. After a reasonable amount of time researching them I've decided on the Ultra-Fab stabilizer and have tentatively narrowed it even further to the aluminum model. According to the specs I've read the aluminum model will support 1200# while the steel model supports up to 1500#. My question, for those in the know, is whether or not that additional 300# is really necessary or desirable, since most of the weight is still being supported by the landing gear. Our 5er has a listed dry weight of 11,200, but I'm estimating it's a good 13k with all of the 'stuff' we bring south with us. I'm OK with buying the steel model if necessary; it's even $20 less expensive but weighs about 20# more. I just don't want to horse that extra weight around if I don't have to, even if it is only twice a year. Opinions?
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
41 REPLIES 41

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
For more than a couple of nights, I put it on.

If it makes her happy it is worth the trouble.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bipod (2 legged tripod - ?) that I tried and replaced it with the BAL strong arm type. The BALs work - I will give you (or anyone) my bipod, no charge. Might be a long trip to Denver to get it - LOL!

Tim

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
I've never tried a tripod as so many have said they offer minimal benefit. I instead installed JT Strong Arms. Huge improvement! I can still feel when people walk in the trailer but far less than without the JT's.

Ditto
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Mines for sale if I can find it.

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
I just put my tripod on the 5th wheel, it's 37ft i really can't tell any different, with or without it, but i own it now, so i will keep, using it.
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
You can have my tripod, I will be selling it at the campground yard sale this year if you don't take it. Now seriously: I have the Cameo also and the JT's. They are simple to install and you have a choice of self tapping or tap bolts, both are provided in the package. One of the best additions I have ever added. Go to You Tube and watch the installation video. PM me if any further questions.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
steadyfast system, x-chocks, been using bottle jacks between tires (will be installing scissor jack/levelers)there to stop the bounce. gave tripod away
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
8ntw8tn wrote:
..e aluminum model will support 1200# while the steel model supports up to 1500#. My question, for those in the know, is whether or not that additional 300# is really necessary or desirable, since most of the weight is still being supported by the landing gear.
I have a BAL steel tripod. It does some good, along with Roto chocks and rear stabilizers.

I don't get the weight ratings on yours.. they're not supposed to support all that much weight. And yes, the landing gear is what supports the weight.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mapachoo
Explorer
Explorer
Steady Fast has self tapping screws. We have this system and like it a lot.Their web site says you will need an additional bracket for the Carriage Cameo.Give them a call the number is on the site as well.Look them up at steadyfast.com. If you decide to go with a tripod for a while We would suggest get the steel we had a aluminum one and the threads became galled and it was unusable the second season we had it,Our trailer was much lighter than yours

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
8ntw8tn wrote:
I have a set of between-the-tires screw chocks (made them myself from sets of pipe clamps and 4x4's), and they work well. And after speaking with several other guys in the park who have the tripods, most of whom highly recommended them, I've been inclined to try one. I did speak to one guy who said he couldn't tell much difference but that his wife insisted on its use. The JT Strongarms are a good suggestion, just not sure I want to part with that much $$ right now. But I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Some eye bolts through the frame and some ratchet ties are a pretty cheap option to JT's. 🙂 Since you seem to be handy, make your own set of stabilizers from some light pipe.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've used one for a lot of years. I was disappointed in the results, but when we bought a Cameo with Big Foot levelers, I began to see more benefits. I also use Rotochocks. Combination of the Rotochocks, Big Foot, and tripod, we get rid of most of the movement. We stay in one place for 3 months, and I'm very happy with a steady unit. The tripod does work.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMO the amount of good that a tripod will do depends on the height and weight. They do okay with smaller, lighter 5th wheels, but don't seem to do much with taller, heavier ones.

My advice is to put the money toward something like JT Strongarms instead of the tripod.

The JT Strongarms come with self-tapping bolts so you don't really have to drill holes first. I have the I-beam frame and used the self-tapping screws in a couple places where I couldn't get to the bolts to put nuts on. They seemed to work well so that would be an option for you.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Don’t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, don’t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesn’t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and don’t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldn’t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.
Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.
There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
HR

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think our tri-pod has ever really helped stabilize either our older fiver or our newer one with 6-point level up.

We still use it if we are going to be in stationary for awhile. We decorate it with multicolored LED's to make it look like a Christmas tree around the holidays. Generally we park our bikes under the front cap and chain them to the tri-pod.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I got minimal stability from my aluminum tripod, and if I was in a campsite where the nose was low for leveling, I couldn't get it under the pin anyway. SteadyFast stabilizers did such a great job just on the front landing gear, that I haven't installed the rear bar after two years.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar