cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are XLRs lighter

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been comparing a lot of the toy haulers and trying to find some that will be 3/4 ton towable. I know the pin weight is the real issue, and most of the 37"+ toy haulers all see to be too heavy with pin weights over 3K. But there are a number of the forest river XLR thunderbolts that are that length and have much lower pin weight. Just curious as to how they were able to get their weight so much lower than the competition if anyone knew.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King
12 REPLIES 12

Macs_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
This was one of the issues with Weekend Warrior when we bought ours. I made the dealer take it to CAT scale wiegh it just the way we bought we the options installed and a full fuel tank. No water, It was heavier than advertised but still within our range. I haven't wieghed it yet with all our stuff but in calcing everything we are probably just under the max weight. We do not tow with water until we get close to our destination.

I would suggest if anyone buys one you have weighed by a certified weigh station just to have it and just in case.
2007 Weekend Warrior SL2805
20505 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.0/410 Gasser
2008 Polaris RZR 800 With +6 Long Travel
2012 Kawasaki KX 250F
1990 Kawasaki JS 550 Jet Ski

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
2btowed wrote:
At the last RV show there was not a single TH that had more than 2700 for pay load.Most had 5.2kk axles but weighed 15-16k dry...and topped out at 18k.What happened? My 06 has same axles but weighs 11.5 dry and they say 15.6k total...They do not account for any pin weight..which is around 3k...Did they start using a different formula to figure weights? Just wondering..

Most buyers want 4 slides, outdoor kitchens, 5 TV's, ramp door patio, 7.5 k generator, and sleep 20.....but still must be able to be pulled with an Ecoboost? 🙂

IDK what the manufacturers are thinking. Heartland did the same thing with my rig......depends on the day you look at their website as to whether the GVW is 14 or 16K, 37' or 40'.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
At the last RV show there was not a single TH that had more than 2700 for pay load.Most had 5.2kk axles but weighed 15-16k dry...and topped out at 18k.What happened? My 06 has same axles but weighs 11.5 dry and they say 15.6k total...They do not account for any pin weight..which is around 3k...Did they start using a different formula to figure weights? Just wondering..
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, if you want to stay under your truck mfg ratings, you need a 3500 and preferably a dually......even then it may be tough. I'm regularly over GCVWR by 7K WITH a 3500 dually.

If the claimed numbers on the 300x12 are correct, it wouldn't even be on my radar as a toyhauler. There simply isn't enough CCC to do anything with a 12' garage.

For just using the garage as a spare bedroom, staying in a full hookup park, and hauling maybe 1-2 "sport" ATV's it could be OK. Anything more and it will be overloaded.

In my mind, a 12' garage unit should have at least 4-5K+ in CCC to be safely usable for boondocking.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Real world: My FA3005 Ragen 30' fifthwheel has a 14200 GVWR running on 2x6K axles. With 4 dirt bikes, gear, food, full 150 gallon water, 4x6 batteries, 14 gallon LPG, 40 gallons gas in fuel station, 5.5 Onan. No slides runs right at 11,700 -11,900 on the axles and between 2700 and 3200 on the pin depending on potable, grey and black distribution at the time.

Got to be really careful reading the specifications, standard and options. Dry weights in specifications/brochures are units without options installed. All options take away from the Carrying Capacity (cargo capacity) listed in the Specifications.Likewise filling the potable water tank and installing batteries -you need at least 1, affect "net" cargo capacity.

On a 300x12 XLR Thunderbolt:
Hitch Weight................1,858 lbs.
Axle dry weight(calculated).8,596
Ship Weight................10,454 lbs.
GVWR.......................13,858 lbs.
Cargo Capacity..............3,404 lbs.
All this comes out of Cargo Capacity:
Fresh Water...100 gal.=.......843
Batteries 60 lbs. each.........60
LPG
Fuel in fuel station
Toys
Personal stuff, kitchen equipment, beer and anything you throw in the trailer.....
Options (all reduce cargo carrying capacity)
5.5 Onan CARB EVAP Generator
Mobile Fuel Station w/ Fuel Tank (30 gallon)plus weight of fuel!
Frame Mounted Toy Lock
Party Dinette IPO Booth/Sofa
Free Standing Table and Chairs
Theater Seating IPO Sofa
Second Air Conditioner – Bedroom
Dyson Digital Slim Cordless Vacuum
Bedroom TV with Exterior Bracket
8 Function Wireless Remote with Touch Screen Control
Wireless Back-Up Security Camera
Kegerator
Removable Cargo Carpet Kit
VIP Party Deck (Available with or without manual awnings)
Electric Bed with pass-through Dinette
Cargo Shower upgrade (40X12 and 415AMP)
Outside TV Hook Up
Overhead Storage IPO Loft
Hydraulic Auto Level Up System
Second Power Awning
Comfort Sleep - Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Extreme Weather Package
Dual Pane Windows
12V Heated Holding Tanks
Radiant Roof/Floor/Slide-Out Floor Insulation (R-38 at 80 Degrees Farenheit)
The *****in’ Outdoor Kitchen
Weber Grill
Refrigerator
Stainless Steel Sink w/ Hot and Cold Water Hookups
5 Gallon Gray Tank
Two-Tier Bar Top
Rockstar Entertainment Center
32" LCD TV
Kicker 300W Amp
Two (2) 10" Subwoofers and Four (4) Speakers
AM/FM/CD/MP3/DVD Stereo
External 110V Outlet
HDMI
Gaming Connections
TV/Cable/Satellite Hookup
X-Tended Living/Recreation Package
Three season patio door IPO Hid-N-Screen
26" Fireplace w/ Mantle
LCD TV Hookup
Plush Surged Carpet

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
A 37-foot two-axle toy hauler - even with 7k lb. axles - concerned me, so I looked elsewhere for a three axle toy hauler. It just didn't seem like there was adequate reserve capacity, though I never did actually weigh an XLR.

My old bare-bones 23 footer, all loaded up with admittedly a lot of weight, had 10k lbs on the axles. An extra 14 feet, plus more amenities, has got to weigh a lot more. That was my line of thinking, anyway.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
one way to get low pin weight is to move the axles forward .
the problem is the further forward the axles are the more squirrely the handling is .
get out a tape rule and see if the distance from tongue to the front axle is less than other brands .
i moved my axle further back on my boat trailer about a foot .
that setup handles fantastic .
i tow my boat very long distances at night .
both directions . maximum water time .
i tow at high rates of speed with no traffic .
heavy tongue weight mitigates sway .

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
the generator being weighed or not makes sense. all slide positions and appliances are basically all in the same locations. maybe someone with one of these will weigh in what it really weighs
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Do they have factory gennys? Options will make a diff and also where frig and heavier appliances as well as where your slides are located in the length of the trailer will make a diff. Some might be all alum construction.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
That wgt may not be correct. Mosy of them understate the dry wgt.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
trying to keep from having to bump up to a dually so thats why their products have me interested, but im like you and dont want it to be because of shotty quality. they price them like the others so hopefully that means theyll stand the test of time.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
rayford118 wrote:
Ive been comparing a lot of the toy haulers and trying to find some that will be 3/4 ton towable. I know the pin weight is the real issue, and most of the 37"+ toy haulers all see to be too heavy with pin weights over 3K. But there are a number of the forest river XLR thunderbolts that are that length and have much lower pin weight. Just curious as to how they were able to get their weight so much lower than the competition if anyone knew.

I've been wondering the same. The 300X12 has a dry pin weight of under 1900lb. Kind of concerns me about the build to be honest unless we can get a better answer. Glad you asked