cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will I still be ok without a slider going Ford to Dodge SB

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure I am going to be trading my 2011 Ford F250 Crewcab short box for a 2013 Dodge 2500 Megacab short box. My Ford box is 6ft 7inches and the Dodge Box is 6ft 4inches. I have a B&W Companion hitch currently set one position forward of being all the way back. Our fifth wheel is a 2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH with a rounded front cap. Currently I can back up to 80degrees atleast and I'm wondering if with the box being 3 inches shorter if I'm going to need to do something different or if I'll still be fine. Does anyone pull with a similar setup.
2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH
12 REPLIES 12

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
kc, don't sweat it. I too, initially had concerns, but things have worked out fine. Never had a problem backing, if things seem too close, take a pull up and back up again, you would probably need to do it anyway. If you've got any questions on your set up, pm me.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to thoose that helped. A long box isnt an option even if it was offered it wont fit in the garage and when its -40 F and blowing 30 mph I want it inside. According to B&W only some 2500 need and adapter. If the ripples in the bed floor cover the whole bed you dont if you have a recessed square in the middle of the box you do. I've already looked at the companion slider and if I dont have enough clearence I'll go that route. I should be ok with what the first poster said the overall dimensions havent changed on the box length and wheel base since atleast 08 I'm pretty sure. So far I've put 100 miles on it not towing and very happy. There is lots of room for the 3 kids and all their stuff.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
they don't make mega cabs with long beds. It is the long bed frame with a short bed - the cab is stretched to make up the difference.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
I would set the companion to the very back position this should get the hitch head back another 1 1\2", but not knowing the cab to axle distance on the two trucks it is hard to say if this would give you similar clearance you had with your Ford.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
So what do you think? You have the measurements and shorter is never better, get a long bed.
HR

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Check the B & W home page there is a notice about the turnover ball adapter. Might be what you are asking about. If you are intrested I think they make a slider also for that size companion hitch. Check their site and or give them a call they are great to work with.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this link http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/06/bw-releases-part-for-ram-2500-3500-trucks/ also doing some reading it looks like the 2500 megacab is fine without the adapter plates more so its the 3500 that uses a different turnover hitch. I'm gonna give B&W a call in the morning and double check in case.

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly sure what you mean on its different. The dealership is currently installing the B&W turnoverball in the pickup and I was assuming I can just put my companion hitch in like I normally do. Is there a problem with the companion lower portion not sitting over frame rails or something. I don't currently have a slider either to clarify but the companion hitch allows you to adjust the kingpin capture point forward and back.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Of the big three Dodge's have the shortest distance from the back of the cab to the rear axle (where your hitch sits) with GM being the longest and Ford in the middle. Depends on what your clearance is now whether you can get by without a slide on the Dodge.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I could be misunderstanding your post but if your towing with the slider hitch set nearly all the way back that would be very dangerous. I have a pullrite superglide autoslider and they are very reasonably priced used. That would most likely be the safest most convenient option.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Just a hint here, but you might contact B&W and find out about the 2013 Ram hitches they have. Pretty sure your Companion will not work on the new Ram frames.
I believe B&W is in the process of engineering one. Also do some research on the Ram towing/ hitch package as it's a whole new concept.

On edit here is a link you need to read

Cummins Forum

Good luck
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
My 08 MC, pulls and backs the 285bh xlt, perfectly. Never a problem in four years. It's a great match. Air bags did improve the ride, and you can fit 16" BFG LTs with room to spare. Have fun.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD