cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
We live just north of Houston, TX and have a 5th wheel with residential refrigerator with ice maker and a dishwasher. We don't get really cold weather on a regular basis so I don't use the pink antifreeze to winterize the unit. I drain the water out of water heater and fresh water tank and then blow the lines out with compressor. We are going to have temps in low 20s for several nights. My question is how to protect the ice maker and line to dish washer? Can't get to the line that feeds the icemaker. My previous 5th wheel didn't have the dishwasher and we never used the icemaker that we had. The rig is in storage but we use it occasionally in the winter months.
4 REPLIES 4

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you choose to blow-out System...you may consider, after draining the water heater, re-open the heater by passes and blow thru to heater tank. There is a possibility (depending upon plumbing lay-out) that water could be trapped in low points. It takes only a few moments and assures that โ€œno water is left behindโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Leave your fresh tank drain valve open(itโ€™s probably exposed), water collected against valve and freezing, could burst the line at the valve.

Without knowing your brand and design of you 5er, determining itโ€™s โ€œwintering capabilitiesโ€ is near impossible. With electricity and propane, Iโ€™m good to a -30 F (and not lose any sleep) with water in the unit. Some units, because of tank/line locations and the units ability to provide heat to areas of water lines/tanks, are not safe for extended periods much below freezing. If you have forced-air heat to the basement area, running the heater in the unit (if you have electricity) should keep everything warm, โ€œIFโ€ the heat can get to โ€œALLโ€ of the water utilities!

On the dishwasher, with your blow-out air (LOW PRESSURE) on the system...run the dishwasher through a cleaning cycle (same with washing machine, if equipped). This should void the system (piping but not the pump) of water. As an extra precaution on the dishwasher and the washing machine... pour some RV antifreeze into unit ( to get antifreeze into the pump) and then run the pump. With the ice maker, the same. With system pressurized with air.... it should blow thru as though it were trying to make ice cubes.

I know that this may sound like overkill, but Iโ€™m from Baton Rouge area....and in the 35 years I lived there, I saw single digit temperatures twice. Though not predicted to get that cold, all it takes is once... if your not thourghly โ€œwinterizedโ€!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your only going to drop below freezing for a few hours your likely not going to have issues. It takes a long time below freezing to damage pipes inside the rig and you can always turn on your RV furnace as additional protection.
Kevin

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
If you do damage to the ice maker from freezing you will be in for a huge repair bill. I would get a gallon or two of antifreeze and properly winterize the unit...and run your fridge/icemaker until it's dropping "pink" cubes into the tray. Depending on model there is a way to disconnect the 1/4" line and run antifreeze directly to the ice maker so review your manuals. Not sure about the dishwasher but im sure its also critical not to freeze so protect it with antifreeze as it seems in storage running the furnace for several days may not be an option. Too many folks come on here after a freeze and wonder "what kinda damage do you think I did". I would do whatever I could to not be that person.

Yep...im paranoid about breaking stuff.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
For several nights I would use the furnace or electric heaters to keep at least the rooms with water in pipes warm. if there is water at the tank drains a heat lamp will keep it from freezing and breaking the plastic piping there.

It's -33 C here tonight. No water in our RV.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed