cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving tank heater pads on.

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Truck broke down in Richmond Virginia. Can't move for at least a day. It is forecast to be below freezing for the next 40 hours. We are in our new Cedar Creek. (Forest River) It is equipped with tank heating pads. I have never used them before. Can I turn them on and leave them on? Book says to have water in tanks. Not sure why. My fear is on the order of cooking an electric element like the regular hot water heater.
Thanks for any advice
AL
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill
8 REPLIES 8

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
...Hot water freezes faster than cold water...

Huh?

lol I think he's referring to the Mpemba Effect which is a theory I never considered applying to my holding tanks...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:

Huh?

More properly, boiled water freezes faster than non-boiled water. You drive air molecules out of the water, which means the water molecules are "closer" together meaning faster heat transfer. This is why "regular" ice is opaque and soft but "crystal" ice is clear and hard.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Farmboy666 wrote:

Huh?
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Tank heaters are around 40-60 watts, just enough to keep the liquid in the tanks from freezing and most AC powered ones are thermostatically controlled. If you leave them on and the tanks are empty you will more than likely cause no damage to the tanks but probably will burn out the tank heaters.

If you don't need them on, don't turn them on and as said they will not help the water lines/sewer lines in the least.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Tank heaters aren't going to do anything for the plumbing. Hot water freezes faster than cold water so that's no help but at least you put water in them.

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
One switch for all heaters. Empty or full. At a KOA. Good electric. Enough propane for the night. We are cozy. Just concerned about the belly plumbing. Ran hot water into grey and galley tanks. Gonna leave heater switch on. See how it goes. Thanks.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The pads on our tanks are only activated if the temperature gets below freezing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Fear is softening the plastic tank and causing either seam failure or a joint to external pipe or hose to fail. The pads do not get very hot. They're only 40-100 watts spread over a square foot or two. Unlike your water heater which could be 1500-4500 watts over a few inches.

If your tanks are empty why do you want to heat them?

Will you be staying in the coach while the truck is getting repaired, will you have hook-up?

I'd leave the furnace or electric heat on if the plumbing is not winterized.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed