cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

X-chocks and 6 point levelers

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
Do the x-chocks still get used to lock the tires when you have a 6 point leveler system ?
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"
15 REPLIES 15

obie311
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itakethe5th2011 wrote:
I used x-chocks on my last 2 5th wheels that did not have auto level. Loved them, but with my new 5th wheel with auto level, I noticed right away that as the legs go down and the trailer goes up the weight is taken off the tires and leaf springs. This causes the springs to relax and x-chocks get loose to where they almost fall out. I sold the x-chocks on Craigslist and went back to rubber wheel chocks on the side of 5th wheel that won't need as much height. I do that to keep it from possibly bending auto level legs if it were to roll while unhooking or hooking back up.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My x-chocks would fall out too. Now I throw a couple of MaxHaul rubber chocks under one wheel before I unhitch. Then Auto Level. If I'm parked for more than a couple of nights, I put the x-chocks back in for perceived safety and stability. It's probably arguable whether they are needed or not.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
heck I dont even see the point of a product like that with the 4 point system in my 39 foot 5th. I just use regulare weel chaks on unlevel sites.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
I use regular heavy rubber chocks from tractor supply as the main source of protection to keep the rig from moving when unhooking. I used to use x-chocks on my bumper pull, and used them when I first got my 5th. Quit using them when I found that the 5th was just too heavy that the x-chocks really werent strong enough to use as chocks. trailer lurched a bit, and the x-chocks just folded up like tin-foil. Once the rig is up on the 6-point levelers, its not going anywhere.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
36' total length unit and it has never wobbled with the 6 point leveling system. I put a short 4 x 4 on both sides of 2 tires.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got rid of my x-chocks because the space between my wheels was too close to use them. I carry a set of regular chocks that I use on particularly unlevel sites, then activate the 6-pt levelers. In most cases, the tires then rise above the chocks so they have no effect.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
8ntw8tn wrote:
I'm a bit of a neophyte at this. Our previous trailer had the usual landing gear and stabilizers so we always used chocks between the tires. Our "new to us" trailer has the 4 point Bigfoot system and is quite stabil without the chocks. I still carry the chocks but don't plan on using them unless we're unhooking on uneven ground. Hope this helps.

X chocks don't take the place of regular wheel chocks. You still need to chock your wheels. I always chock my wheels, AND use my x chocks, even on level ground.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once I bought this 6 point RV I sold my RotoChocks. Fact is one side of the RV's tires may be off the ground. Four simple wheel stops are best.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use mine before I unhitch. Then after leveling, I check again because once or twice they were loose as another person mentioned. When it is time to leave, I hook up, take them off then retract the levelers.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use X-Chocks with Auto Leveling, BUT you have to re-tighten after leveled then REMEMBER to remove them before retracting the Jacks, if you don't you'll have a HARD time getting them out. Don't ask how I know.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
I used x-chocks on my last 2 5th wheels that did not have auto level. Loved them, but with my new 5th wheel with auto level, I noticed right away that as the legs go down and the trailer goes up the weight is taken off the tires and leaf springs. This causes the springs to relax and x-chocks get loose to where they almost fall out. I sold the x-chocks on Craigslist and went back to rubber wheel chocks on the side of 5th wheel that won't need as much height. I do that to keep it from possibly bending auto level legs if it were to roll while unhooking or hooking back up.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Always chock the wheels.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit of a neophyte at this. Our previous trailer had the usual landing gear and stabilizers so we always used chocks between the tires. Our "new to us" trailer has the 4 point Bigfoot system and is quite stabil without the chocks. I still carry the chocks but don't plan on using them unless we're unhooking on uneven ground. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use them. Maybe habit, maybe not. But I have used them since day one with my 5er with 6pt leveler.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I level then x-chock
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport