cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your opinion on a quality fifth wheel (stipulations listed)

lahines25
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here! I know this question is asked a lot, but I am looking for opinions on what you think is a high quality 5th wheel on the market with the following stipulations:

1) 27-32 ft long (so can go pretty much anywhere, including campsites).
2) High quality: quality construction, durable rails for slide outs, no leaking issues, safe, etc.
3) Moderately priced: do not want low end, but do not want custom made with a high price tag.
4) Can be towed by a mid-size truck (like a F250).

Other things to consider for my situation:
* Full time living: looking for durability and quality since this will be our home for a minimum of 2 years, potentially much longer.
* 2 people.
* Do not need luxury. More focused on practicality and efficiency.
* Do not own a lot of material things, but would like some storage space for recreational items like golf clubs, etc.

I appreciate any feedback you may have pertaining to this matter!
25 REPLIES 25

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
pizzaguy wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
We were happy with our Big Horn manufactured by Heartland.

We are also. Purchased #3 last week.

#4. We bought ours in 2010 and love it still. In fact, I just went into it to check on something and it still smells new.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with metal frame. They are more stable than the wood. If you don't mind the work. You can make your Rv "4 seasons" with aftermarket installations. I recommend older high-end units. You can find good deals this time of year on auctions, and Craigslist. Either way for the size of Rv you are looking for. You are going to need a 3500. Safer. Remember, it's not the starting that's the problem. It's the stopping. I have seen RVs pushing trucks down even small hills. With white-faced, death gripped hands drivers behind the wheel.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood Fox Mountain.

In a couple or 3 years we are looking at replacing our Eagle Cap truck camper with a Fox Mountain 235RLS. Under 28' long, right around 7500# dry weight.

We drive a '12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aridon wrote:
Grad Design and Arctic Fox are both good brands to look at.

Should Grand Design(a company that can not find a rear cap for their higher end Solitude's) and Arctic Fox be compared side by side? One is a flashy want to be Cardinal, Cedar Creek, Jayco, Montana like unit and the other is a rock solid mini tank unit.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

140river
Explorer
Explorer
We like buying "older" 5th wheels that at one time were top of the line. We save a lot of money and get high quality options. Love my King of the Road.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Grad Design and Arctic Fox are both good brands to look at.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Johndanielscpa
Explorer
Explorer
I will add that I tow my AF 27-5L with a 350 dually. I agree, the AFs are heavy; the 27-5L has a GVWR of 13,480, although I usually tow it around the 12,000 mark, but if you're full time, you will be towards the heavy end. I know several who tow this with 250s, but, minimally, a 350 SRW would be better suited.

Dorsal
Explorer
Explorer
I have only owned NuWa and Excel. Both excellent and heavy. Another vote for a 1 ton minimum. You will not be sorry.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Arctic Fox ... and joining the chorus of those suggesting a 350/3500 to pull it. They're heavy suckers.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought of looking at high end used 5th wheels. Many of the higher end manufacturers are out of business due to the economy. Excel, NuWa, Travel Supeme, Lifestyle, Carriage come to mind. I know Kansas RV (former NuWa) factory refurbishes used HitchHikers and you may find a high quality used 5th wheel at a reasonable price. All these brands are heavy though. Quality usually means heavy. By the way, NuWa used their own frame manufactured for them by Young;s Welding.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A nice well looked after one owner Carriage.

lahines25
Explorer
Explorer
MN Ben wrote:
Lahines25, would you require a washer dryer hookup?

No hook ups needed.

Thank you for all the replies so far!

Criteria is flexible as we learn and figure things out. The length requirement was so we can take it anywhere since some campgrounds have size limits, so please provide input if we are incorrect about that. We are open to pulling with a F350 if that is required.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Note that with a 250 type truck a gasser will have considerably more payload than a diesel.