cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Capitol gains tax?

roostonu
Explorer
Explorer
If my wife and I sell our house to buy an RV with the profits and become full timers, are the profits still subject to capitol gains or is the purchase of the RV considered a home?
19 REPLIES 19

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone's situation is different. Good questions for your tax professional to help you sort out for your personal situation.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

roostonu
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
I looked at instructions for schedule 1040d for year 2017 -- don't know it this will still apply during this year. For 2017, if you lived in home for two years during the five years preceeding the sale, then you can exclude $250,000 of capital gain, or $500,000 if a joint return.

Thank you. We bought our hose 7 years ago and have lived in it the whole time.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Anything with a bed and toilet is a home.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at instructions for schedule 1040d for year 2017 -- don't know it this will still apply during this year. For 2017, if you lived in home for two years during the five years preceeding the sale, then you can exclude $250,000 of capital gain, or $500,000 if a joint return.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume you only lived in the house a short time? Arenโ€™t Home gains are exempt from any taxation as long as you lived in it I believe 2 years?
Bill