cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CheapHeat Add on for Propane Furnace

beelbill
Explorer
Explorer
I recently wrote a lengthy rant about my attempts to prepare for full time winter camping in my Trailer. I installed an extend-a-stay valve so that I could add an external propane tank for heat. The problem I ran into was none of the local propane dealers would deliver to a tank attached to an RV. Fifty miles in any direction, I found propane dealers that would, but none here.

So, my question is, does anyone here have any experience with the CheapHeat add on from www.RVComfortsystems.com ? If I could convert my Suburban heater to Gas/Electric, then I could run it off of the electricity normally but have the propane for a back up if the power went out.
24 REPLIES 24

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't read every post so sorry if this is a duplicate.

What I'd do is try to find a kerosene dealer nearby. See if they'll deliver. Or if you could come up with a way to carry bulk quantities of kerosene yourself (assuming you have a truck).

Get a couple upright kerosene heaters. These are rated for indoor use. If you have a 55 gallon drum of kerosene and a pump setup, you could fill your own heaters every 2-3 days without too much trouble. Then perhaps buy a couple upright electric oil-filled heaters.

You'd want to do lots of insulating around, under, and throughout your RV of course.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
A Dyson and a platinum catalyst heater (external draw for combustion air) would be my choice to "upgrade" before the CheapHeat option. Nothing against the latter, but familiarity with the former has done well in areas where the daily high gets into the forties.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
kakampers wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
kakampers wrote:
We have several friends who have installed Cheap Heat and they swear by them. We will probably be installing one, hopefully prior to the coming winter....

We were at Rolling Retreats in January and it was COLD. They had a MobileSuites about the size we were looking at in the shop. I am sure it was freezing or below in the RV. Alicia turned on the Cheap Heat and the rig was cozy in a matter of a few minutes. That sold me!

We normally used a couple Dyson Heaters and a small heater in the basement to mostly keep the floor warm in our last RV. Don't look forward to the winter but will be happy to set stat to a temp and have it maintained!

Nothing heats better and more even than forced air....plus it will get the radiator out of my living room...;)...looking forward to the upgrade!

We got tired of buying a new portable heater every year they just did not last. Then we decided to buy two Dyson's. They are very good quality. Then we ordered a new RV with the CheapHeat. Maybe someone will get a good deal on the Dyson's!

We also have a fireplace that actually works well for cold mornings but if we hit cold weather this winter we will sure enjoy the upgrade.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
kakampers wrote:
We have several friends who have installed Cheap Heat and they swear by them. We will probably be installing one, hopefully prior to the coming winter....

We were at Rolling Retreats in January and it was COLD. They had a MobileSuites about the size we were looking at in the shop. I am sure it was freezing or below in the RV. Alicia turned on the Cheap Heat and the rig was cozy in a matter of a few minutes. That sold me!

We normally used a couple Dyson Heaters and a small heater in the basement to mostly keep the floor warm in our last RV. Don't look forward to the winter but will be happy to set stat to a temp and have it maintained!

Nothing heats better and more even than forced air....plus it will get the radiator out of my living room...;)...looking forward to the upgrade!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the website for cheap heat. It is not something I would like because of our rv style of use. Our 1500 watt ceramic heater can over heat us very easy for our cool months in Az. I might enjoy that product of our needs were different. $70 to $100 per month for Electricity for the coldest months so that is not a big deal for us. Lots of stuff to buy for rving needs.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmcdar wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
There are three available models.
The DH-50 puts out the most heat and draws 21.6 amps from each of
two legs of 120-volt AC power.
The middle unit (DH-37) draws 15.6 amps from each of two 120-volt AC legs
The smaller system (DH-18) draws 15.6 amps but from only one 120-volt AC leg, which makes it the only unit that can operate on 30-amp service.
The other two require 50-amp service.

The above info is from Trailer Life 2013 Article (Couldn't find info at CheapHeat Website :H)

DH-50.....
120V AC at 21.6 amp---that's 2592W per 50A leg (almost 1/2 of available amps/watts)

DH-37....
120V AC at 15.6 amp---that's 1872W per 50A leg

DH-18......
120V AC at 15.6 amp---that's 1872W on 30A leg (over 1/2 of available amps/watts)

$495 for heat unit........and company states installation of 5-8 hrs with costs between $1200-$1500 (Roughly $1700-$2000 total)

Granted....I have no doubt the DH-50 can heat up an RV pumping out almost 5200W of heat using 43.2A or even the DH-37 at 3744W of heat using 31.2A.
The DH-18 might have issues cause it is not much larger wattage than a 1500W space heater which does a OK job in a limited area. Pumping that low of a heat source thru ducting will not have much heat at end of run.

Electric costs........all of them are going to really jack up the electric meter.
OK if electric is included in CG site.......although CG owners will catch on quickly and then there will be 'issues'.
As it is some don't allow electric heaters already.

Cheap Heat is a great name!

I get my propane tanks filled for $15. (I'll round this up to $20. just to make it easy).

$2000 to acquire "Cheap Heat".

So I can buy 100 20 lb tanks of propane with the money I would spend on Cheap Heat.

How long would it take me to work my way through 100 tanks of propane? Because it is only after that amount of time using Cheap Heat, that it would take to actually become "CHEAP".

No way going to say it will "save" you money but there are somethings in life that are worth every penny and not be the least expensive way to go.

Just think about how many tents you could buy for the cost of the average RV.

It cost me $1,500 for the install of the CheapHeat and to me worth every hard earned penny!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I totally understand people's desire for convenience and comfort.

I was commenting on the "CHEAP" portion of the of the name.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The smaller system (DH-18) draws 15.6 amps but from only one 120-volt AC leg, which makes it the only unit that can operate on 30-amp service.

The above info is from Trailer Life 2013 Article (Couldn't find info at CheapHeat Website :H)

DH-50.....
120V AC at 21.6 amp---that's 2592W per 50A leg (almost 1/2 of available amps/watts)

DH-37....

DH-18......
120V AC at 15.6 amp---that's 1872W on 30A leg (over 1/2 of available amps/watts)

$495 for heat unit........and company states installation of 5-8 hrs with costs between $1200-$1500 (Roughly $1700-$2000 total)

Granted....I have no doubt the DH-50 can heat up an RV pumping out almost 5200W of heat using 43.2A or even the DH-37 at 3744W of heat using 31.2A.
The DH-18 might have issues cause it is not much larger wattage than a 1500W space heater which does a OK job in a limited area. Pumping that low of a heat source thru ducting will not have much heat at end of run.

Electric costs........all of them are going to really jack up the electric meter.
OK if electric is included in CG site.......although CG owners will catch on quickly and then there will be 'issues'.

I get my propane tanks filled for $15. (I'll round this up to $20. just to make it easy).

So I can buy 100 20 lb tanks of propane with the money I would spend on Cheap Heat.

How long would it take me to work my way through 100 tanks of propane? Because it is only after that amount of time using Cheap Heat, that it would take to actually become "CHEAP".

Yah, I guess. But its like anything else. We don't need 40 foot RV's, 30 would do. We don't need satellite dishes, over the air would do. We don't need the fancy Nav systems in vehicle, maps will do. The cheap heat is a nice option or add on. You can select half speed on the system and the furnace becomes a nice quiet even central heating system that also heats the basement. I can see the attraction. We found another way (under floor heating) but if we hadn't I would be a player for cheap heat. My point is, if it was just about the money we wouldn't do lots of things. Those with a budget that allows for it will buy nice things.

JMHO
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

DH-50.....

DH-37....

DH-18......

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
kakampers wrote:

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
beelbill, I must assume that you are around Sedalia judging by your signature. The propane dealers around Warsaw which is about 35 miles from Sedalia must refill tanks attached to RV's. There are 2 or 3 in the RV park where my 5th wheel is parked alone.
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
If I get electricity included with my site, I use electric heater/s.

One type electric heater I have used for years is an Electric Oil-Filled Radiant Portable Heater.

I used one in a 900 sqft cabin when I was gone to work. It was able to keep it at 40-60 degrees until I got home to stoke the fire.

I use my propane when shore electric is not available.

familyof3
Explorer
Explorer
I thought you had to buy from the dealer and have them install it. I may have to recheack on this. In the past I just used a 240 volt wall heat witch works great but doesn't really heat the basment.

As for the propane tank i just bought a 250 gallon tank and have who ever is the cheapest fill it up for me. But I move it around with me witch is a pain but so much cheaper to have in the winter than taking 30 lbs bottles and getting them refilled and 100 lbs are hard to keep moving around.