Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electrical usage

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I am going to ask a very loaded question here but am looking for generalities. I have a 39' 5th wheel with 2 A/C Units. The place where we use it at has the electricity included in the price. We are looking to start full-timing within about a year and would probably stay about a month at each place. Most of them charge for the lot plus electricity. I have NO idea what to expect as far as electric bills.

Let me reiterate.....I know this will vary widely from person to person, 5th wheel to 5th wheel, electric rate to electric rate. I don't know whether most in similar situations average. Is it $50 bucks or $300 bucks. Just kinda wanting to know what some in similar rigs have seem as far as power goes. Not looking for exact numbers just what kind of bills do you normally see in the summertime.

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
12 REPLIES 12

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
I can see now that while I'll use less electricity than my S&B I'll be paying about triple the cost per kw. At my S&B I'm paying less than 5 cents per. In the end it may be a little cheaper but not much.

Steve

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
We see between 12-15 cents per kw on the monthly stays at most parks and around $80-100/mo. in a new 40 foot 5th wheel with elec. fireplace on most nights,and a few days of a/c during mid days. Lots of television and computer time and several lights on 16 hours a day. That might very well double in summer above 80 degrees I'll bet.

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers. Our highest was a November 2011 in the Rio Grande Valley--$167.04. Our lowest was December 2013 in Palm Springs, CA--$12.92, but mostly using solar then. They also charged $5 to read our meter on top of that.

bstow
Explorer
Explorer
Winter has been to $350 month.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We use between 250 and 400 kWh per month. We have paid as little as $0.10 per kWh and as much as $0.20. The 400 kWh includes 2 CPAP machines and one oxygen concentrator used about 8 hours per might. Those add about 100 kWh per month so without them we would use about 300 kWh.

So the cost has ranged from $25 per month to as much as $80 per month. The usage is without AC use. It would be a lot higher if we used an electric heater or AC.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies. This is exactly the information I was looking for. This kinda helps me plan for the future.

Steve

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We paid anywhere from $0 - $350 / month electric. The $350 was for a lot we owned in So Cal. It was rented out and turns out the tenant
had quite a farm going in his motorhome 😮 We did collect via the park manager and the local gendarmes. So if you plan on growing anything...be forewarned 🙂
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally you should plan on $2-$4 per day. A/C usage or usage of multiple electric space heaters will put you on the high side and staying in locations with moderate temperatures where this usage is limited or not required will bring your cost to the low side. You will balance that cost out by not having to spend money for propane heat or propane water heaters so the numbers can be a bit fluid depending upon your coach setup and your specific needs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
My electric bill has run $100/mth in Texas in the summer.
HR

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
one AC summer months mine was always at or above 100.

ALSO find out what else they charge too. My CG was charging taxes on top of the electric bill and then bed taxes on top of that! And another CG was reading the bill in the middle of the month when you were gone so there was no way of checking it. Then that same CG was divvying up all her business extra charges and charging it to the campers.

And sadly.....READ your meter before and after billing and find out WHEN they read your meter. I found many even very reputable resorts playing games with that. 😞

I don't mind paying my share of electricity but in the last 4 years of going to Florida I only found one CG that was on the up and up and only charged for the electricity used by each RV'er. I was very disappointed in general with Florida's antics with charging for CG electricity.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
You can go north of $100, but that's usually using a lot of A/C.

We full time, winters in Texas and summers in NE Ohio.

Average is usually in the $75-90 range and $0.15 per KwH, around 500-600 KwH.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We keep it cold so lots of a/c
Lots of electronic toys (computers, gaming consoles etc)
Large TV's
Eat at home a fair bit (oven)
Live in a warm climate most of the year (usually somewhere in florida or nearby)

Winter we are around $75 to $130
Summer $175 to $260

Biggest expense is A/C by far. People tell us we could hang meat in our unit.

.12 per KWH
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold