cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Establish Residency in Wyoming?

roadtriptoforev
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations of establishing residency in Wyoming? I Live in CO right now but taxes are too high and we are about to be fulltimers
8 REPLIES 8

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
OP needs to do research on all of those items, just reading through and searching the forum will help clear up the confusion. The information is here and across the internet. Also, everyone's situation can be a little different. Just basing it on sales and income tax is going to lead to a lot of unpleasant surprises.

Wyoming is on my "too visit" list!
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about voting, jury duty, medical insurance, renewal tags for vehicle, mailing address? any things to compare. Looking at where fulltimers domicile, Wyoming isn't on the list.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Al Gore just got out of Jury Duty in TN because of a scheduling conflict. Of course, he had to stand in line to give them his reason.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
rkortes wrote:
This is a couple of years old, but seems to provide decent info:

What's The Best State for Fulltime RVers When It Comes To Taxes?

Here's another resource with steps on how to gain South Dakota Resedency (2012):

Setting Up South Dakota Residency for RVers (Pt. 1)

The first link does have some good info but it doesn't mention jury duty. TX (Livingston where Escappees has one of it's mail forwarding service addresses) will excuse you and SD will remove you from the rolls.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
This is a couple of years old, but seems to provide decent info:

What's The Best State for Fulltime RVers When It Comes To Taxes?

Here's another resource with steps on how to gain South Dakota Resedency (2012):

Setting Up South Dakota Residency for RVers (Pt. 1)
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
dreeder, sounds great if you live there but if you are a full time RVer and don't live there you need to look at license plate fees and other taxes for your vehicles.
what wyotravler says is correct, they should look at SD...all you have to do is spend one night in the state and then renew your drivers license every 5 years. no income tax and low sales tax on trade in on vehicles.
a couple of great mail services in the sate i.e. mydakotaaddress.com
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
roadtriptoforever wrote:
Any recommendations of establishing residency in Wyoming? I Live in CO right now but taxes are too high and we are about to be fulltimers

Wyoming is an excellent choice, I was stationed at F.E. Warren from 92-96 and still try to get back up to the Snowy Range/ Laramie area when I can to fish and play. Low population, no real rush hour (nothing like the 25 corridor in our area :M) wide open areas, mountains, wonderful wild country, cheaper taxes on the pocket book, did I mention low population I think to the tune of around 600,000 in the entire state:). The only negative I can think of is the wind, man it can blow.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You should think about South Dakota not Wyoming. True Wyoming has no income tax and discounts on property tax if it is ag property but will nail you on RV taxes. My MH tax is about 2.5% every year. If I decided to fulltime I would change my residence to South Dakota. JMHO