Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Need a Address!

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,

We currently rent the home we are at in Maryland. We have been doing so for 17 years. We will be moving out in April. We own a RV park model in a RV park in Florida that requires 90 day vacancy per year and doesn't allow it to be a primary residence. We plan to live in the RV during the 90 day vacancy period and the park model the other 9 months. Any suggestions on how to get a primary address?

Thanks,
John
2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...
19 REPLIES 19

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
He does NOT need a domicile address, we're not talking about a fulltime traveler, or snowbirder or an extended time traveler. This guy is going to live fulltime in the same fixed abode year round. His domicile & residence is clear, with no other action required. Due to some silly policy of his park admin, he apparently needs a phony mailing address to satisfy them. His drivers lic, his vehicle registration, his voter registration, his tax address and every other official address should be the location where he lives fulltime. moving into his RV for 3 months changes none of that. He can get a different mailing address if they insist, but that has nothing to do with his domicile, which in this case is already set by his fulltime living location.

GoPackGo wrote:
What he needs is a DOMICILE address. That may or may not be a 'mailing address' or a 'home address'.

It seems I've read on these forums that a UPS box number does not work very well as a domicile address. Apparently some banks and other organizations will not recognize a box number address as valid.
Jim

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
What he needs is a DOMICILE address. That may or may not be a 'mailing address' or a 'home address'.

It seems I've read on these forums that a UPS box number does not work very well as a domicile address. Apparently some banks and other organizations will not recognize a box number address as valid.

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
John I Haggerty wrote:
Folks,

We currently rent the home we are at in Maryland. We have been doing so for 17 years. We will be moving out in April. We own a RV park model in a RV park in Florida that requires 90 day vacancy per year and doesn't allow it to be a primary residence. We plan to live in the RV during the 90 day vacancy period and the park model the other 9 months. Any suggestions on how to get a primary address?

Thanks,
John

This sounds really really odd. You OWN the park model. You rent the site. I find it very strange - do they make you move the park model off site for three months a year? That would be the only way they could dictate this policy.

Perhaps the policy is for park model renters and not owners?

Anyway, it appears from your statement that they do not allow you to receive mail there. If so, you need a mailing address as opposed to a home address (which is the RV Park and Lot number). The UPS option is perfect for your needs. You will get a box, go there to pick up your mail, and while you are traveling they will forward it to you upon request.

Good Luck

On Edit:

We use a mailbox service in our hometown. We have all our mail sent there and pick it up at will or have it forwarded. They provide an address that is not considered a PO box. We can have mail or packages sent there that refuse to send to a po box. They will sign for packages requiring signature. Pretty good service. As we don't use UPS, I don't know if they provide all these services.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my opinion THE most important thing to consider when deciding to get a new address while on the road is this: Insurance rates. Insurance rates differ dramatically from state to state and can vary my hundreds or thousands of dollars per year. This is one of your largest FIXED costs when RV'ing.

I know others worry about taxes, and drivers licenses and all of that but the reality is that if you are retired state taxes are probably not going to be a big issue for you unless you have gobs of income.

Yearly vehicle registration is a consideration but is generally not that expensive.

The one time vehicle sales tax should not be an issue if you have paid the tax in another state. Most states will give you credit.

Sales tax is a non issue unless you intend to buy an RV in that state and license it there. Or unless you are going to be resident in that state for long periods of time.

Avoid any state, such as Virginia that has a personal property tax.

I would look for the state that has THE Lowest insurance rates with the lowest overall tax structure. That includes income, vehicle and sales.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
GoPackGo wrote:

Would you please state where you found "Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months" in some official Florida regulation ? I'm not saying you're wrong. But I'm not sure about that statement.

I'm guessing there are snowbirds who exceed staying 6 months in Florida.

Thanks,

Tim

Here's one Tim..there are others, of course but this was the first one that popped up....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
If you do as you intend, you will be a Florida resident, per Florida's rules:

You Have 30 Days

Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

Enroll your children in a Florida public school
Accept employment
Register to Vote
File for a homestead exemption
Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months

The last one pretty much sums it up.

Regardless of what the park wants and says...a rose by any other name is still a rose....

If you simply need a mail forwarding service for the three months you're gone, there are many available. Check with the local UPS store. We are full timers and receive our mail via General Delivery wherever we are around the first of every month. Everything else is done on-line....BOL.....Dennis

Would you please state where you found "Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months" in some official Florida regulation ? I'm not saying you're wrong. But I'm not sure about that statement.

I'm guessing there are snowbirds who exceed staying 6 months in Florida.

Thanks,

Tim

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I need to expand my reply a little.

To the OP. You will need a domicile address. This is your address of record and will be used for Driver's License, Banking, Voter's Card, IRS, vehicle registration. etc. Basically everything.

Florida has a form, which I got from St Brendan's Isle. This form, which you fill out signifies your intent to use Florida as your legal state of residence.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I fulltime and use St Brendan's Isle mail forwarding service. They're in Green Cove Springs (near Jax). That will give you your legitimate DOMICILE address. You could call and have a talk with them - they're good folks.

My question - Do you receive mail at the RV park during the 9 months you're there ? Or do they make you use General Delivery at the local post office ?

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Like rockhillmanor said. We had a FL UPS Store address for 10 years. It solved the permanent mailing address. For tags, DL and voting, we originally gave them the RV Park we were staying in. But they used the UPS Store as the mailing address.

Much better at forwarding than the USPS. The Gov't Run Postal Service can't even send a Priority mail on time. But the UPS Store uses UPS and can forward and track your mail during the 3mos you might want to be traveling.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
jrp wrote:
If you live in the park model 9 months of the year, that is your primary residence, whether the park admin likes it or not.......just sign up at one of Florida's many professional mail forwarding services.

This.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Real simple.

Just go to any UPS "STORE". NOT to be confused with UPS.
They have a store in just about every town use the store locator.

They will give you a 'REAL address' to use. Been using it for years. And they have a full service as far as forwarding etc. No membership fees. Just a monthly fee.

http://www.theupsstore.com/mailboxes/Pages/index.aspx

Mailbox Services
At The UPS Store®, you can get a mailbox with a real street address and secure 24-hour access* to mail and package deliveries. Additional services include mail forwarding**, fax receiving and the ability to call in and check for new mail. We can even text or email you when your mail and/or packages arrive.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do as you intend, you will be a Florida resident, per Florida's rules:

You Have 30 Days

Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

Enroll your children in a Florida public school
Accept employment
Register to Vote
File for a homestead exemption
Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months

The last one pretty much sums it up.

Regardless of what the park wants and says...a rose by any other name is still a rose....

If you simply need a mail forwarding service for the three months you're gone, there are many available. Check with the local UPS store. We are full timers and receive our mail via General Delivery wherever we are around the first of every month. Everything else is done on-line....BOL.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
PghBob wrote:
I believe the Escapees Club has an official residence/domicile arrangement set up in their park in Bushnell, Fl. with mail forwarding, etc. It is at least worth the time to check it out.

X-2 This could solve your issue.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it has more to do with eviction notices, park insurance, and status of the park in the state. True it doesn't change your personal redidence. What does it say on your drivers license and registration of vehicle? Many parks throughout the country have that rule. If you want to play the game I believe you would have to still maintain Florida residence or establish residence in another state. Just because they kick you out for 3 months doesn't change your Florida residence. What do other people in the park do for that 3 months?