cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full time in smaller RV

PeggyandTony
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I hope to start full timing in the next few years. We are not new to RVing. We have been camping since we were children. Once married we have tented, upgraded to a pop up , then a 24 foot TT and finally a 35ft 5er. We enjoy staying in state and national parks rather than private campgrounds. We have found that with this type of camping that size matters. We are considering downsizing to a shorter TT or 5er. In the 25-30 foot range. We were wondering if anyone is currently or has previously full timed in this size RV. We would appreciate any advise and things we should consider.

Peggy and Tony
36 REPLIES 36

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We only spend 4 or 5 months out at a time, so its almost full timing. We do it in a 18 foot box, or as Funfinder calls it a 22 footer. We have a cover on our pick up truck so that is our storage area.The trailer has a full bathroom which we like, a short queen which is OK and I am 6 foo 2. Only thing we would like to change is get rid of the couch and put in two recliners, can do it because of the slide and wheel well. Oh well its paid for works great and we like it a lot.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FunnyCamper wrote:
we are currently downgrading. we are just like you....we do state/federal campgrounds over commercial and we need that smaller size for ease of getting a site and thru the narrow roads loaded with trees in every possible worst position ๐Ÿ™‚

we have 40 ft 5th toyhauler. going to a 29 ft. travel trailer toyhauler. (34 total with tongue). losing like 5 ft. and some height to make it easier on us.

key is like everyone said, get the floorplan that suits what you want. size isn't as much a matter as long as your happy with the feel/comfort and more in it. We got everything we needed in our 29 ft TT toyhauler that we have in our 40 ft 5th toyhauler. just more compact.

best of luck to you in finding what you want!!
Similar story, I have a 32' 5er TH and bought a 17' TT TH to go to tight campgrounds. I did not sell the larger 5er but use the small TT as a supplement.

I met a older couple from Canada that full timed in a 17' Casita tt. They cooked outside. They would leave early in the morning exploring the area and return of a evening. For them it was perfect.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we are currently downgrading. we are just like you....we do state/federal campgrounds over commercial and we need that smaller size for ease of getting a site and thru the narrow roads loaded with trees in every possible worst position ๐Ÿ™‚

we have 40 ft 5th toyhauler. going to a 29 ft. travel trailer toyhauler. (34 total with tongue). losing like 5 ft. and some height to make it easier on us.

key is like everyone said, get the floorplan that suits what you want. size isn't as much a matter as long as your happy with the feel/comfort and more in it. We got everything we needed in our 29 ft TT toyhauler that we have in our 40 ft 5th toyhauler. just more compact.

best of luck to you in finding what you want!!

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. If you think you might come up to PA to check out a dealer this summer, you might want to consider coming to the largest RV show in the country in Hershey PA usually in mid-September. You can view lots of possibilities in a relatively short amount of time.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed in the 32' AF fiver and loved it. It had plenty of room for us. The 27' AF is very similar with everything just a little bit smaller. I don't know what the poster meant about lack of windows because the 27' fiver has huge windows and a large living area. We all have our own needs and you will have to decide. Many won't fulltime in anything less that 40' and counting. Many of us are content with far less.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is up to you how much space you think you need. I know people full timing in 18-foot van conversions and the 17-foot model of the Casita. For both cases, their full time lifestyle is mobile.

I've met a man full-timing and work camping in a pop-up, 12-foot box. His lifestyle was not so mobile, rather seasonal moves between work locations.

Personally I would be more comfortable at 24-28 feet, for separation of living or working areas from sleeping areas. But that's old habit, I have friends of my generation (WW2 children) getting into the small house movement or moving into tiny urban apartments.

However, most of the full timers, and even the snowbirders, I know are living with 300 to 400 sq ft of space, e.g. 38-45 feet of motorcoach or 38+ in a fiver. Some of the snowbirders make their moves with an additional vehicle hauling a 24-30 foot utility trailer full of toys, or a substantial boat.

The space has to be adequate to your chosen lifestyle, or your lifestyle adjusted to the space.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
As you've probably already figured out, everyone's space requirements are different. Most full-timers decide they need more space, but some decide they'd rather have the flexibility of less.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been full-timing for 3.5 years (solo) in a 17' travel trailer, and I would never want something larger for the kind of camping I do. Like you, I like state and national park campgrounds that tend to have smaller sites. I prefer a natural atmosphere to the amenities of an RV park, and I chose my RV accordingly. I do a lot of boondocking and like tiny, out of the way places way out in the desert or high in the mountains that big rigs can't get to.

In the end, no one knows what's best for you but you, but all of these varied answers should give you food for thought to come up with the right answer. Best of luck!
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
We too looked at Arctic Fox and found a lot to like, especially if it would be used year round. The one thing I didn't like and couldn't get past was how small and few the windows were. I know this helps with energy costs but the ones we looked at felt dark and cramped. This may have changed as it was about 10 years ago when we last looked at them but having outside light is important if you're going to spend a lot of time in them.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody can answer on what will work for you. We recently met a couple living in their truck camper for 7+ years. I could never do it. You need to decide what you can deal with and be happy.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The Arctic Fox 2$5 is a very good unit. It has lots of storage and large tanks for its size. We are from the NW and are very familiar with this brand. Our issue with it is that you can't have a king bed. Also, the optional chair is just in the way and no firellace option, but if those aren't important to you, it' a good choice for under 30' and well built.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's all a state of mind. You can decide what size you need to be content. Especially if you never expect any RV to be like a house.
Jayco-noslide

PeggyandTony
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. We understand that choosing a smaller RV will require some sacrifices. Because we would prefer to camp at NP or SP some of the campgrounds have only a limited amount of sites that can handle a RV over 30 feet. We would like to increase our chances of getting a site with a smaller rig.

We are currently interested in the Arctic Fox 27-5L. This 5-er comes in at just under 30 feet and seems to have the storage we are looking for. Problem is that we have only been able to look at it online. The closest dealer is in Pennsylvania. We may try to see it this summer.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions on rigs we should look at. We are open to going back to a TT if it is the right floor plan.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've met people who FT for over 7 years in a 18 ft Casita. Another mother and her adult disabled son FT for over 9 years in a Class B.

You can do it in whichever size rig you want. Just be sure that the rig meets your requirements, and you are willing to make the tradeoffs needed for a smaller rig.

For us two essential requirements were a bed slideout which would hold our Sleep-Number bed, and two recliners. Rainy days happen.

We also stay for a few months at a time while volunteering, so that was a consideration.

I don't have trouble finding camping spots, but I do occasionally have trouble with access to good camping spots.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to downsize, i suggest taking a long look at drawer space, closet space, and pass through or understorage space. Some older rigs had more to offer than some newer rigs in these important areas. If we ever do another unit, we would likely size down to a TT because of age, stairs etc. we think that woyld be 27 or 28' with both a dinette & couch or recliners.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
PeggyandTony wrote:
We enjoy staying in state and national parks rather than private campgrounds. We have found that with this type of camping that size matters. Peggy and Tony

We've just completed our 15th year FT. We started out in a 35' 5'er and when it came time to purchase again, we downsized to 30' for just the reasons you stated. We have been very happy with our decision.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8