cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full time/South Dakota insurance question.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Considering changing domicile to South Dakota. We both are on Medicare. Another posting about ins saying insurance is unavailable for full timers concerns me. Is it true? Will we be able to get a medicare supplemental insurance??? Seems odd that you couldn't!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend
25 REPLIES 25

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently "residents" of Box Elder SD via Americas Mailbox. Our Medicare coverage is via Humana Gold Choice PFFS and is good throughout the nation. We were with United Health Care (UHC) but they dropped us when they no longer had offerings in Rapid City. When I called UHC they berated me for wanting to travel around the country and have insurance coverage. With Humana I've had a Triple Bypass in AZ and in March had back surgery. For us, Humana has been outstanding.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Boonhauler....I didn't have the "inc" on it. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
BoonHauler wrote:
If you don't have one, I use My Home Address as the forwarder (host) for my SD residency. They're really nice folks and reasonably priced.

In my experience you can't go wrong using them.

Heads up....checked that website and it says that website is for sale...!!!

You must have the wrong address, here's a link My Home Address, Inc
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
If you don't have one, I use My Home Address as the forwarder (host) for my SD residency. They're really nice folks and reasonably priced.

Heads up....checked that website and it says that website is for sale...!!!

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We are SD residents and full-timers. Have medicare and AARP supplement and
have never had a problem with coverage regardless of where we were. Our MH
insurance is designed specifically for full-timers. Never a problem there,
either

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to use SD as our domicile too.

What we found was that if you will be traveling constantly, you can't use a medicare "advantage" plan. We went with Humana on our part "D" and have used it in AZ and UT without any problems.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Medicare doesn't care where you live or obtain medical care from as long as it is in the continental US or a commonwealth or territory of the US. Supplemental plans, however, are usually issued by state. You need to simply sign up for the supplemental plan of your choice in SD (we used AARP which is United Healthcare) when we lived in Maryland, then South Dakota, and now in New Mexico.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I became a South Dakota resident and soon after turned 65. I applied for Medicare and AARP/United Healthcare Plan F supplemental coverage. I had no problem. A few years later I became a NY resident and transferred my policies. The AARP plan jumped $2000 annually for my wife and I. Low insurance rates are another reason to enjoy you residency in South Dakota.

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a pre-retirement full-timer based out of SD and plans are hard to find for us, but it seems like retirement-aged folks have less of a problem in SD.

When the Affordable Care Act turned the health insurance scene on it's head, I learned what I needed to know from Kyle over at http://www.rverinsuranceexchange.com/, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just found it to be a useful site from personal experience.

Hope this helps.
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We are residents of SD with Medicare and an AARP supplement thru United Health
Care. Have never had any problems and all services (have been many) have been
fully covered regardless of where we were.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:
The problems some are speaking about are because they are not enrolled in Original Medicare but rather in a version that restricts usage within a named medical group of providers. Original Medicare would be better in most cases of full timers who travel and need countrywide coverages.

That's right, I forgot about the medicare replacement plans. We had Avera before medicare so I wanted to keep them when I turned 65. They basically would not give me a package to replace medicare since I was a fulltimer. I did get a quote but it was crazy high.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

avan
Explorer
Explorer
The problems some are speaking about are because they are not enrolled in Original Medicare but rather in a version that restricts usage within a named medical group of providers. Original Medicare would be better in most cases of full timers who travel and need countrywide coverages.
www.putt10.net

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
ADAD437 wrote:
Fulltimer50 wrote:
We have had no problem finding a Medicare supplement plan in SD. All of the problems written about have been for pre-medicare plans.

not true fulltimer, as dutch stated the problem is with some supplemental plans haveing in network not available in some areas.

While I am sure that if a person tried they could find a policy that would not be good nation wide. We have not had any problem finding a medicare supplement plan. If a person did a google search for SD medical supplement plans they could find most are good for any Dr. that accepts medicare.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel