cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Time wifi

Lowcountrydupre
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I started full timing back in May and we could not be happier. We have camped at campgrounds with hit and miss wifi and state parks with none. We are now looking into getting something more than what our shared smartphone plan offers. We would be using a laptop, iPad and wifi printer along with our iPhones. I am looking at the HotSpot Plan from Millenicom. This is it here http://millenicom.com/plans/. Thanks for any comments from you veteran full timers.
20 REPLIES 20

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find that most believe that Verizon has the best coverage in general across the good ole US of A. My Iphone 5, bought from the Straight Talk folks (Walmart), runs on the Verizon network. I would not have bought it if it ran on anyone else's.

That is also the reason I chose the Millenicom 20G plan - because it also runs on the Verizon system. Their 'unlimited' plan, which someone said has been discontinued, ran on the Sprint network, but I never even considered going down that path.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like almost everyone is happier with Verizon over ATT? Is anyone actually using ATT while travelling?

cts

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Millenicom setup is internet service only. If you can access the TV show you want to watch on the internet then you will be able to watch that show on your computer. You will likely eat up all of the available 20GB in short order (long before your month is over).
A sat. TV service is still the best option if you like to watch a few programs everyday. While the TV antennas can be a pain, there are automatic antennas available that alleviate that problem. Lastly, the portable TV antennas are unlikely to grow legs since they have nearly no value.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. We need to check into Millenicom. We headed west last spring with TMobile hotspot and Direct TV, but neither was satisfactory. The TV arial was a pain to drag out and adjust and risked growing legs if we left it too far from the MH. TMobile hotspot had no coverage where we were in the west. Not just spotty, NONE. Even the phone was iffy. We had to get an addtional Verizon hotspot to do anything private - banking, stock acct, etc. We are spending way too much to be connected.

How is that Millenicom working out for TV? Does it get the cable channels? PBS? The History Channels? Cable news? We did watch less while we were out, but we were only out for a month last summer. Our habits will probably go back to normal with a bit more TV time if we are fulltiming.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using Verizon for some time, recently switched to the share everything plan after our wireless router died. We run 2 Droid smart phones, 2 laptops, a Kindle Fire, and wireless printer all on the 10G plan with a Verizon Jet Pak. We do have to watch usage towards the end of the monthly cycle, but we just added a Jefe Tech WiFi Repeater with external antenna which allows us to connect to the Parks WiFi, was very marginal inside the rig before, but now we can see almost all the towers in the park. Maybe not quite as fast as the Verizon Jet Pak but works for general browsing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I will soon go winter time to Georgia... an I disconnected from Time Warner Cable for internet...
to Verizon jetpack.. 2 weeks now..
the jetpack is faster then TWC... and the money is the same per month..
TMC had unlimited data.. but I mostly use 5GB a month.
that is what I setup with Verizon.. will see about mobility in Georgia. but Verizon shows good coverage there.
and TMC was No help there.
plus the jetpack was $50. and a $50. rebate...

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Why not? Then , chances are , you will have more coverage.....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Carla52
Explorer
Explorer
I have US Cellular and I got 5GB because we were camping at the beach and my husband needed to do some work while we were down there which usually means a lot of time on the web. Once everything was bought and paid for, I was told that if we leave their area and we were in roaming, we would only have 250MB and guess what, the beach was roaming. Does your plans do this, too?

I have been thinking of Verizon but until my husband retires, US Cellular is the only one to get coverage in the hills and forests here in Washington state. I almost want to keep him on US Cellular and I will switch to Verizon. 🙂

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure there is a real unlimited data plan that will allow you to do much streaming. Streaming will eat up data in a hurry.

I expect to get something like the Tailgater along with a Dish plan for my TV requirements.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
rynosback wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was also looking at streaming TV though this also. But I do not think that 20 GB will be enough along with internet. How are you watching and keeping up with your favorite shoes?

We usually keep our shoes in the closet so they don't get misplaced. :W
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

rynosback
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I was also looking at streaming TV though this also. But I do not think that 20 GB will be enough along with internet. How are you watching and keeping up with your favorite shoes?

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Millenicom plan is excellent if you think you will actually take advantage of the full 20GB/month but could be a waste of money if you do not. If you already a Verizon customer (AT&T has a similar plan) you can take advantage of their Share Everything plan. You pay for each smartphone getting unlimited minutes and text and then you decide how much data you need. You can add a MiFi device to the account and you simply connect your computers and surf. I only average about 6GB/month and we full time with 2 phones, 2 computers and a Kindle Fire.

The share data through ATT isn't a deal. They suckered us in when we upgraded my iPhone and added an iPad mini-$20 and Mifi-$20. We dropped the Verizon 10G device and figured 10Gs would cover us. Then found the ATT bucket got emptied too fast when using the Mifi, iPad and 2-iPhones data (which used to be unlimited).

When the data went over the first month, we turned off the ATT Mifi and shoved it in a drawer and got the Millenicom 20G through Verizon at a lower cost ($69.99) than the previous Verizon USB ($87.07) and Cradlepoint.

Then we dropped the ATT data plan to 6G to save. So with a total of 26G, we have a cushion. iPhone and iPad updates use most of our data.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the 20 g plan thru Millenicom and couldn't be happier with the reception and the service.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There have been reports that the "unlimited" ( also BYOD) Sprint plan (limited to 50GB/month) is no longer available from Millenicom.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?