cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input on this health insurance Company - US Health Advisors?

Sewsyq
Explorer
Explorer
The person who I am corresponding with for this company says, "The plan is backed by Freedom Life Insurance, been around for 55 years, A+ rating"

I am very suspicious as they claim it is a PPO with nation wide coverage.

To quote this person, "The Secure Access plan is $789/mo, which is not an Obamacare plan. It comes with $0 deductible, a nationwide PPO network, and $0 doctor visit copays, plus benefits for all the standard things like prescriptions, lab work, hospital stays, emergency room, etc. Note especially that this coverage uses a nationwide PPO network, something you are looking for due to your expected travel around the country."

DH & I need to make our health care decisions soon as we will be quitting our jobs and going FT as of 9-2-16.

I would appreciate your advice/ information. Thanks kindly, Sue
SewsyQ
11 REPLIES 11

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and CHM has never failed to pay for anyone's insurance and they have one of the highest ratings in the consumer reports for health insurance even though its not your typical insurance, its a share insurance we all pay in and CHM has hundreds of millions in their bank account, {fact} and you choose your real doctor or real hospital.

Google it and you will see, they have even been on the Fox news channels and they also gave it a high rating..

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Natural medicine is what I meant, as to my food I could be better in that dept, like I said its not insurance for everyone but if you are healthy and don't require meds to stay alive than this is a good cheap option instead of paying the fine to the government thanks to Obama..

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
TechWriter wrote:

• Healthcare "Ministries" -- several people swear by them and costs are low, but these are not health insurance plans as ministries sites will tell you.

• That is what me and my wife have and it cost us $90.00 a month for both of us, its not for everyone but if your healthy and don't need to take medicine and do things on the natural side this is the way to go..

Your body does better without medicine, your doctor also lies to you because they have their hands tied up by the big pharmacies, I bet doctors don't take tons of medicine..
    Health insurance recommended by someone who thinks MDs are quacks and natural food is the way to live longer. Strange how people today live nearly twice as long as they did a couple of hundred years ago when all food was "natural". Of course their premiums can be low if all they do is tell you to eat some roots and berries if you have cancer. Need a CAT scan, visit the animal shelter, they have cats for the taking.

Personally, I couldn't care less how a person handles their own medical care, except for the fact that should you actually need real medical care, from a real doctor, someone is going to have to pay for it because as a society we won't just kick you to the curb. So, when your "Faith based medical care" won't cover a half a million dollar hospital stay that facility still has to provide you care, payment or not. That makes the cost of care rise for all the medical providers, who pass those costs on to the insurance companies who pass them on to ME, the premium paying customer.

lbrjet
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Go on Cobra for this year and ACA for next year. You will estimate your income for next year as part of the application process when you sign up in the late fall. If you think 1200 is a lot then you haven't priced individual health plans since the ACA went in to effect. Prices have increased dramatically. Like at least double from where they were five years ago.
    2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
    2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
    Equalizer E4 1200/12000

timmac
    Explorer
    Explorer
    TechWriter wrote:

• Healthcare "Ministries" -- several people swear by them and costs are low, but these are not health insurance plans as ministries sites will tell you.

• That is what me and my wife have and it cost us $90.00 a month for both of us, its not for everyone but if your healthy and don't need to take medicine and do things on the natural side this is the way to go..

Your body does better without medicine, your doctor also lies to you because they have their hands tied up by the big pharmacies, I bet doctors don't take tons of medicine..

arhayes
    Explorer
    Explorer
    The premiums for this year will be based on this years' income.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

TechWriter
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Sewsyq wrote:
    Tech Writer, you are correct. we are both under 65. My understanding is that once there is a change in our benefit status with our work, we would be eligible under the ACA (option #4, but you called it out as #3). COBRA would be in excess of 1200.00 monthly - not an option.

I looked up Clay County ACA plans on www.healthsherpa.com for a couple who are 63 years old. The cheapest BCBS plan (BlueSelect Essential 1452 - EPO) was $1177.
    2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
    2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
    2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
    www.rvSeniorMoments.com
    DISH TV for RVs

Sewsyq
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Tech Writer, you are correct. we are both under 65. My understanding is that once there is a change in our benefit status with our work, we would be eligible under the ACA (option #4, but you called it out as #3). COBRA would be in excess of 1200.00 monthly - not an option.

We are not stuck on a PPO plan, but it would be nice if we didn't have to give up our current Dr.s. We will be domiciling in FL & using SBA for mail service. My understanding of the ACA is that you enroll under the county where you domicile (in our case CLAY COUNTY).

I do have a question about the ACA subsidy if anyone can answer. Is the subsidy based on your income for the year or only on the income you will have once you apply? Once we retire, our income will fall within the ACA subsidy guideline, but our annual income for 2016 will be way above it.
    SewsyQ

TechWriter
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Sewsyq wrote:
    DH & I need to make our health care decisions soon as we will be quitting our jobs and going FT as of 9-2-16.

I'm guessing you're under 65, so you need to buy individual health insurance, right?

If that's the case, you have several options . . .

1. COBRA -- if your company's plan offers nationwide coverage, you might want to use this for 18 months.
    2. Healthcare "Ministries" -- several people swear by them and costs are low, but these are not health insurance plans as ministries sites will tell you.
    3. Off-Exchange Health Plans -- note that any of these plans would not qualify for a subsidy.
    4. On-Exchange Health Plans -- ACA (or "Obamacare") plans on www.healthcare.gov that can qualify for a subsidy.

These are several states that I know of that offer BCBS (Blue Cross Blue Shield) PPO health plans. However, you would need to investigate each plan to make sure that a nationwide network is available with the plan.

Note that for option #3 above, the 2017 ACA open enrollment starts on November of this year.
    2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
    2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
    2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
    www.rvSeniorMoments.com
    DISH TV for RVs

westernrvparkow
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Sewsyq wrote:
    The person who I am corresponding with for this company says, "The plan is backed by Freedom Life Insurance, been around for 55 years, A+ rating"

I am very suspicious as they claim it is a PPO with nation wide coverage.

To quote this person, "The Secure Access plan is $789/mo, which is not an Obamacare plan. It comes with $0 deductible, a nationwide PPO network, and $0 doctor visit copays, plus benefits for all the standard things like prescriptions, lab work, hospital stays, emergency room, etc. Note especially that this coverage uses a nationwide PPO network, something you are looking for due to your expected travel around the country."

I would appreciate your advice/ information. Thanks kindly, Sue
    I know nothing about this company, but I am always wary about phrasing such as "plus benefits for all the standard things like prescriptions, lab work, hospital stays, emergency room etc." That can mean anything from they cover all those costs to they pay the first $5.00 and you pay the rest. The only thing worse than the insanely expensive insurance plans currently available that conform to the the ACA (Affordable Care Act, the most misnamed program in the history of government) would be paying nearly $800.00 per month and finding out the insurance coverage you think you have actually doesn't exist. You need to find out what state(s) US Health Advisors is licensed in and be sure the State Insurance Commission backstops it so if you have a covered claim you actually get the benefits you are entitled to.

Second_Chance
    Explorer II
    Explorer II
    Consumer Reports calls them "Junk health insurance." Lots of negative reviews from other sources, too.
    U.S. Army retired
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R
    MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
    Full-time since 8/2015