cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a 40 foot fifth wheel too long to access neat places?

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all. We're 30 days into researching full timing and decided on a fifth wheel/ 1 ton DRW truck based on lifestyle choices. We're in our early 50s and enjoy hiking, kayaking, backpacking, biking and are very active with plans to use the trailer as home base, but wonder out quite a bit.

Would a 40 foot trailer and 16,000 GVWR be too much in terms physically handling that size rig in parks/ roads and/or would it constrain camp location options?

I'm really getting at functional utility of travel as opposed to "livability". We don't necessarily prefer commercial parks that appear on google earth to resemble parking lots. Of course we'll use commercial style parks or even Walmart lots like everyone else at times, but have a preference for wooded parks like state or national parks, because that fits our recreation profile. We'd boondock not as a goal to save money; rather, we'd seek better views and access to hiking, river kayaking, mountain biking, etc..

Is a 40 footer unusual?

Thanks so much!
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack
52 REPLIES 52

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
outwestbound wrote:
Hi to all. We're 30 days into researching full timing and decided on a fifth wheel/ 1 ton DRW truck based on lifestyle choices. We're in our early 50s and enjoy hiking, kayaking, backpacking, biking and are very active with plans to use the trailer as home base, but wonder out quite a bit.

Would a 40 foot trailer and 16,000 GVWR be too much in terms physically handling that size rig in parks/ roads and/or would it constrain camp location options?

I'm really getting at functional utility of travel as opposed to "livability". We don't necessarily prefer commercial parks that appear on google earth to resemble parking lots. Of course we'll use commercial style parks or even Walmart lots like everyone else at times, but have a preference for wooded parks like state or national parks, because that fits our recreation profile. We'd boondock not as a goal to save money; rather, we'd seek better views and access to hiking, river kayaking, mountain biking, etc..

Is a 40 footer unusual?

Thanks so much!
yes
So big a world, so little time to see.

jjwms
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltimed for 10 years and a good share of it was in western USA campgrounds. Believe me when I say that when we had a 32' 5er we got into a lot more US Forest Service and state campgrounds than we could when we later moved up into a 36' 5er. As to truck, if you are going to tow a 40' 5er step up to at least a F550 Ford or 5500/6500 Dodge/GMC/Chevrolet truck. A medium duty tractor would be better yet. For our 36' HitchHiker Champagne at 16,500# we had a F550 and needed it.

Yes, we were outdoor people and liked the back country as well as boondocking. And no, we never stayed in a WalMart lot and called it boondocking.
Fulltime RVer May 1997-June 2007
2013 Winnebago Vista Model 27N

nottoosoon
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this is a consideration for you, but we have noticed with ourselves and other campers, the bigger and fancier your camping unit is, the more time you spend in it! We found ourselves making a point of getting outdoors and being active, because it was so easy to stay in. So, whatever you decide on, don't lose sight of why you decided to full-time to begin with!

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
nottoosoon wrote:
Many times you aren't allowed to reserve if it is within 10 days or so of your arrival. So, if you like to be "spur of the moment", you may find it harder in a big rig.

Thanks for your post. I hope you get back to camping soon!

This aspect of the rig's size heavily influencing spontaneity is something to think about for sure. I'm still undecided on length, but am leaning more towards a 35-36 rather than a 40-41.

nottoosoon
Explorer
Explorer
From the wording of your original post, I understood that having a "huge" living space was not your primary goal. We lived for 13 months in a 21' Class C, traveling for my husband's job and homeschooling a 13 yr. old. Now we have a 31' 5er and a big truck to pull it, purchased in anticipation of retiring a little early and workkamping, hosting, etc. Instead, we have our 15 yr. old granddaughter living with us and plans are on hold. I would love to have our Class C back! A few considerations I haven't seen mentioned:
If you are able to plan ahead, you will have better luck finding a site in a big rig, but pulling into a public lands camping area in a 40' really limits your choices, and may not be possible without a reservation. Many times you aren't allowed to reserve if it is within 10 days or so of your arrival. So, if you like to be "spur of the moment", you may find it harder in a big rig. Also, obviously it is more costly to pull a huge trailer, but also, many sites that you will fit in, will be full hook-up. Even if you don't need it you will be charged for the full price. Fees for ferries, tunnels, toll roads, all will be greater, some substantially so. We did a trip on the Alaska ferry system in our small rig, but it would cost us almost twice as much now. I really loved just pulling out somewhere and being able to camp, so I lean toward "smaller is better" but we each have our own idea of what meets our needs and what we are willing to trade off. We have been many places in our tent camping days, that we could not go now, and even were limited in our 21' vehicle.

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and yes. I am at about 13'3" .
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
Just like so many have already pointed out, it is all a trade off. We moved up to a 37' fifth wheel because thats the one my wife fell in love with. We have not regretted it one bit. I do find that the height is more of a concern than the length more times than not.

Thanks. Are you at like 13 high including AC unit? You're referring to the overhanging tree limbs on the park's interior roads, etc. aren't you?

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Just like so many have already pointed out, it is all a trade off. We moved up to a 37' fifth wheel because thats the one my wife fell in love with. We have not regretted it one bit. I do find that the height is more of a concern than the length more times than not.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
In most State Parks we have been in you well have a hard time. Not sure if that is the case we all State Parks.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we went from a 34 FW to a 40 ft. FW toyhauler.

a few limitations on my old favorite sites we love to repeat camp at, but in general the rv was worth getting.

more trouble comes from finding 50 amp service in the state parks etc.
I have 2 parks booked for summer and are 30 amp. no using my master ac in the bedroom 🙂

with a toyhauler door added, I need space to unload. it is all about the prep work in finding spots. my trips are booked and I didn't find it too hard to fit my 40 exactly where I wanted.

not a full timer yet so it is easier for me to find places for our camping trips since I am not constantly on the road and in need of a site.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Well, once again, I have to disagree on 40' being too big. We've been in our 40' motorhome (& they don't bend like a 5th wheel) for 10 years. We traveled constantly as full-timers. Our first choice is always a public park - national park, national forest, state parks, Corp of Engineers, county and city parks, along with boondocking. We honestly do not have problems fitting into these kinds of parks. I could make a huge list of places we've stayed. Granted, you have to do your homework but for every given area there will be a park you can stay and we've stayed in some beauties - quite often the best site in the house. Also, we don't make reservations. We get in early in the week and there are plenty of spots.

A small list of national parks we've been in multiple times are Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Zion, Rocky Mountain. We've been in many state parks along the Oregon and Washington coasts and basically throughout the country. We've stayed inside Denali National Park, Alaska and stayed in public parks in Canada and the Yukon, along with Alaska. The list is extensive for forest service campgrounds in the west. When we go east of the Mississippi we stay in COE and state parks. We love the west and the outdoors so that's where you'd find us. It depends on where you want to stay and then check out parks or areas that you're interested in staying.

I also notice that those giving answers above don't even have a 40' so why are they saying "no you can't"?

One thing about Alaska is it is very RV friendly. You will find numerous Pull-offs, where you can stop and even spend the Night if you want.
God Bless!

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
When we pull into our house here in La Paz, it's a really tight fit and takes a lot of back and forth with me outside and the DH doing his best. The Mexican neighbors all bring out their lawn chairs and beverage and sit and watch. When we're done, they applaud. Instead of getting frustrated with how hard it is, we now just laugh and enjoy the experience.

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Lots of things come into play when stuffing a large rig in small sites. What can be done by some cannot be done by others. Experience plays a big part. Don't expect the driver who always requests a pull thru to get into a difficult backin.

Skill comes with experiencee. Determination & a cool head helps. The guy who gets rattled by an audience watching is going to provide the best entertainment. Having a good spotter is key. Sitting in the passenger holding the itty bitty dog while the DH does everything is damage waiting to happen. The tree always wins. Good directions, by simple hand signals or radio, are priceless.

Very valuable. Thanks. I grew up in Tampa with boats; now it's travel trailers - got to spend it all somewhere! Yes, we always enjoyed watching nervous folks around the boat ramps freaking out while everyone watched and sipped their beers.

I'm going to practice a great deal before going on the road!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of things come into play when stuffing a large rig in small sites. What can be done by some cannot be done by others. Experience plays a big part. Don't expect the driver who always requests a pull thru to get into a difficult backin.

Skill comes with experiencee. Determination & a cool head helps. The guy who gets rattled by an audience watching is going to provide the best entertainment. Having a good spotter is key. Sitting in the passenger holding the itty bitty dog while the DH does everything is damage waiting to happen. The tree always wins. Good directions, by simple hand signals or radio, are priceless.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995