cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

job to do from the road

bmet2000_sDW
Explorer
Explorer
Dh and I are trying to form a plan so we can full time on day in the not too distant future.
He will be able to work as we travel, probably staying a week or 2 one place before we would move on. Which leaves me with the problem-what job can I do from the road???
I know there has to be something out there, I just don't know how to go about finding something.
Since we will be moving so often, and probably wont know exactly where we will be in advance, that eliminates most possible workcamping jobs, camp host, etc.
I'm guessing something computer related would be the best option since that is something I could do from anywhere.
Do any of you fulltimers (or anyone else!) have any ideas on where I can start looking?
13 REPLIES 13

thetaylors
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are planning to hit the road full time by next spring and this was a concern for us as well. I am currently studying for my certification in medical billing and coding, which you can do from home/the road if you find the right job. (some ARE office jobs, but the "from home" jobs are definitely out there) I've been a sugical assistant for 20 years, so knowing the "lingo" has definitely helped me, but ANYONE can do this if they have the patience/time to take the course. The national average pay per year for this job is $47,000+. Internet IS a must though. Good luck!!!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't 'have' to work but just want something to do, with your child care experience consider volunteering a the local schools. They always need help. Or perhaps the hospital or senior home just visiting with the patients. Do you enjoy reading books to children? Perhaps the library would let you come in to read to the preschoolers.

Of course, if hubby takes your vehicle for work you'll have to be creative in getting to places. Perhaps a RV park close to town and riding your bike!

Also, perhaps the RV park that you stay in would have a need for some temporary help. If it's a busy one and in the summer when there would be kids - organize some craft projects. Before you move from place to place, do some possible projects and take good photos of them and send them in advance to the parks you'll stay so they can see your work. Getting paid for a couple weeks probably would be difficult so you might have to negotiate just doing these project on your time but charging a small fee for materials by each person doing them. . . and not only kiddie projects...maybe adult crafts, too. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
She probably won't 'have' to work, but feels that she must. Mainly to keep from being bored! She loves campfires and marshmallows, but probably won't feel like doing that all day!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sign up with a local temp service and do local jobs for short periods while you are there.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep in mind that many rv parks frown on business run out of their property.....most state parks prohibit it.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a suggestion to help you make sure you always have plenty of possible customers. If you can't figure out something on the internet, focus on what kind of services would RV-ers need? If you can find something that you can do that they need, you will be literally surrounded with possible customers.

As mentioned Dog Sitting or walking, barbering, RV repair, computer repair or lessons, design re-work just to name a few. Make up a sign, hang it on a planter hook in the front of the campsite and wait for the customers. If ya get bored, walk the loops passing out flyers.

Good Luck!
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Remember if you are doing anything that requires internet service, you will need to find a good dependable and fast service that you provide yourself. You cannot depend on campground/local internet, because so many even if they have internet, it is slow or not dependable.

That being said, look at your local college they may offer hospitality courses that can be transferred into something you can take with you. Reservations... or maybe you can offer fill-in work for campground.. taking reservations, checkins.. I often see on our state park host website, they will have short breaks between hosts that you might could fill.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
Two things come to mind.

1. Learn how to bathe and groom dogs.
2. Learn how to cut hair. (Barber for men).

These are services you can offer in the RV parks.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the same place 8 years ago. But soon found even sitting in one spot 4-6 mos, there wasn't anything I wanted to do compared to my former job skills (head buyer at a orthotic/prosthetic warehouse).

Luckily, I've found over the last 8 years, I can find plenty to keep me busy and don't miss working one bit. Plus, eliminates more W-2's to wait for and increased taxes. We already have to worry about paying taxes in multiple states from DH's job. But with one employer, we only have one W-2.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

bmet2000_sDW
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a home childcare provider now- would LOVE to take the children with me on the road and still be able to give them back at night!

I actually went to school to be a travel agent-over 25 years ago! so that is a possibility, I would just need to take some classes to update my skills as im sure EVERYTHING has changed since then!!

Etsy is also a good possiblity, I am very crafty, and could work while traveling. All great ideas! THANK YOU!!

We are planning ahead, this isn't something we will do for several more years, so ร've got some time to figure this out.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
What do you do now? Trying to start a totally different career on the road isn't easy. You would be much better off taking an existing skill and trying to make it portable.

It doesn't even have to be something you get paid for now, just something you're good at. Something Internet-related would be ideal. Then you would have a constant address (your website or store). If you tried to do something that requires your physical presence then it could be very challenging to find new customers at each new location. Beware if you try the flea market/fair idea. Not only may it not coincide with your travel plans but they may also require you to hold a local business license.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
We set up our travel agency to be completely online and can do it from anywhere.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
An online business would work from the road. Websites like etsy & ebay plus others allow you to advertise items for sell and handle all transactions online. You mail the items to the buyer from the next town you reach in your travels.

Sell at flea markets, swap meets or fairs.

There are several websites dedicated to assist you in locating workamping jobs. Do a search and you will find the different sites.