cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining new SD drivers license & vehicle registration

awake2
Explorer
Explorer
We want to set up domicle in South Dakota and have a few questions.

Looking at MyDakotaAddress.com as a forwarding service. Most of our bills are online and there will be very little mail to be forwarded. However, we are more interested in the assistance in obtaining our new SD drivers license and SD vehicle registration

When we look at the SD drivers license requirments it seems like we need 2 documents proving my residential address.

Does MyDakotaAddress.com really assist in obtaining a new SD drivers license?

Is creating a Power of Attorney for MyDakotaAddress.com safe so they can be our authorized agent to register our vehicle safe?

We want to set up domicle now, however will not be in South Dakota till end of June.

Have you used another service that assists with obtaining a new SD drivers license & SD vehicle registration?
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need to provide any mail or home owners policy. I spent 1 night in a campground and provided the receipt as proof. That's all! You have to appear at the DMV with your existing drivers licence and they issue the new one and void your old one at the same time. I think it took around 30 minutes for the entire process.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

awake2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Did you buy a home in SD?

I am not buying a home at this time so I will not have a home owners insurance policy to show.

Old-Biscuit wrote:
We set up our mail forwarding address months prior to going full time....then sent out change of address notifications/forms to everyone we could think of.

Then after sale of S&B/close of escrow we began meandering from Southern CAl to SD to get DLs and register our truck/5h wheel

Got our DLs in Spearfish SD.....needed 2 forms of ID, rental receipt (Campground receipt), Social Security Card, our 'home owners ins. policy' showing our SD address and signed a sworn affidavit that we declared that SD was our 'domicile' state.
DLs took us roughly 15 minutes total for both of us. (Filled out application, took written test, then visual test, paid our fee and got NEW SD DLs 'handed to us'----all done at the fire department :B

Then when we got to Sioux Falls (where our mail forwarding/domicile address was) we went down to County BLdg. and registered to Vote and got truck/5vr registered and new SD license Plates
Took roughly 30 minutes cause we went during busy hours and there were 10 people in front of us.

Yes the mail forwarding company can handle vehicle registrations but it was so easy why bother.

awake2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
Good to know I do not need 2 pieces of mail with my address.

Is the Drivers License issued on the spot or it mailed?

stickdog wrote:
As a fulltimer setting up domicile is SD you can give a limited power of attorney to register your vehicles. We have done this twice with no problems. To pay for the registration and tags you can pay with money order, cashiers check, or credit card with a fee to cover costs at the local county treasures office. Checks with PMB are no longer accepted for vehicle registration and taxes due on them. The state wants the entire fee and not share it with a processor. You need to set your mail forwarding address first in order to do that.

When you go to get your new drivers licence you need along with all the normal documents minus the two pieces of mail with your address. You will need a reciept for a nights stay at a RV park or other lodging with both your legal names if you are a couple. You will need to sign an affidavit attesting at the DL office that South Dakota is the state you plan on returning to when your traveling days are done.

We had our mail forwarding for two years before we made the move. We did get our DL's a week before we transfered our vehicles. That was because of some countys only having one day a week when DLs are issued and we were on the west end of the state and our mail forwarding is in Madison. County treasure is always ready to take your money at least M-F.

awake2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You!

Reading it now.

SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Front page article in the Rapid City Journal today addressed all your questions. Best advice would to contact the mail forwarding service, county treasurers office.
Americas Mailbox in Rapid City, Pennington County seems to be the go to, due to lack of wheel tax, emissions, safety exam. I believe you will need to appear in person with 2 pieces of US Mail addressed to you as a first time resident. Renewals can be done from afar.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We set up our mail forwarding address months prior to going full time....then sent out change of address notifications/forms to everyone we could think of.

Then after sale of S&B/close of escrow we began meandering from Southern CAl to SD to get DLs and register our truck/5h wheel

Got our DLs in Spearfish SD.....needed 2 forms of ID, rental receipt (Campground receipt), Social Security Card, our 'home owners ins. policy' showing our SD address and signed a sworn affidavit that we declared that SD was our 'domicile' state.
DLs took us roughly 15 minutes total for both of us. (Filled out application, took written test, then visual test, paid our fee and got NEW SD DLs 'handed to us'----all done at the fire department :B

Then when we got to Sioux Falls (where our mail forwarding/domicile address was) we went down to County BLdg. and registered to Vote and got truck/5vr registered and new SD license Plates
Took roughly 30 minutes cause we went during busy hours and there were 10 people in front of us.

Yes the mail forwarding company can handle vehicle registrations but it was so easy why bother.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
As a fulltimer setting up domicile is SD you can give a limited power of attorney to register your vehicles. We have done this twice with no problems. To pay for the registration and tags you can pay with money order, cashiers check, or credit card with a fee to cover costs at the local county treasures office. Checks with PMB are no longer accepted for vehicle registration and taxes due on them. The state wants the entire fee and not share it with a processor. You need to set your mail forwarding address first in order to do that.

When you go to get your new drivers licence you need along with all the normal documents minus the two pieces of mail with your address. You will need a reciept for a nights stay at a RV park or other lodging with both your legal names if you are a couple. You will need to sign an affidavit attesting at the DL office that South Dakota is the state you plan on returning to when your traveling days are done.

We had our mail forwarding for two years before we made the move. We did get our DL's a week before we transfered our vehicles. That was because of some countys only having one day a week when DLs are issued and we were on the west end of the state and our mail forwarding is in Madison. County treasure is always ready to take your money at least M-F.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Front page article in the Rapid City Journal today addressed all your questions. Best advice would to contact the mail forwarding service, county treasurers office.
Americas Mailbox in Rapid City, Pennington County seems to be the go to, due to lack of wheel tax, emissions, safety exam. I believe you will need to appear in person with 2 pieces of US Mail addressed to you as a first time resident. Renewals can be done from afar.