cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible to install W/D? Full timers. First RV.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
This is mine and my wife's first RV purchase. We haven't got one yet, but we have an eye on one right now. It's a 2011 Copper Canyon 314FWRLS 5th Wheel in case anyone needs to know. It doesn't have a washer dryer already nor does it have hookups installed. It has 3 slides. There isn't really a closet big enough for the w/d unit. We don't care if it's in the living room as long as we have one. However, we were told that it has to be fairly close to the toilet in order to install one. Is that a must? Or can it be in the bedroom or living room? We aren't set n stone about this purchase because of that reason. From reading all the reviews, it's a very good thing to have one. I'm in the military and we are saving a ton of money living out of an RV for the time that I'm in and it's just my wife and I; no kids. We are looking at 5 wheel only because of the great price for a much larger RV. Weight of the w/d doesn't matter. After 3-5 years of living RV style, I'm sure the laundromat isn't going to be pleasant. I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have. Even telling me that the RV of choice is crappy if you think so. Also, we were looking at years 2010-2012. We wanted a fairly new one, but not brand new as they depreciate as much as cars do. Would it hurt any to get a 2007-2009 for a bigger/better unit at around the same price as the 2011 we are looking at? Or stick with a newer one? Can't really get much bigger than 3 slides and still be at our price though, but I mean with 2-3 slides and a w/d unit. I do know how much the w/d units cost, so buying one is completely fine. Thanks in advance to everyone!
49 REPLIES 49

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You stated you'd consider installing it in the living room....if done so, you'd have a hard time selling the 5th wheel later. The majority of folks wouldn't want it in their living room.

Also, we have a 2004 motorhome and it doesn't look or drive like an old one. Consider looking at older RVs. There are many great buys out there of quality manufacturers and you're bound to find one already set up just the way you want.

Why are you so set on the layout of the one you're considering that is so special? Surely there are similar ones with the washer/dryer already in it. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Are there extra hookups for a full washer/dryer at RV parks? Or does it connect with your RV, but outside? Do they leave it in their trailer and just use it from their trailer while it's connected somewhere? Not sure how this all works exactly. I guess for that to work we would just need to purchase a trailer big enough for a full w/d and just make 2 trips. We are military as well and some parks only allow us to stay for 3 months then we have to leave for 1 day to 2 weeks at some places. Bouncing back and forth making reservations a lot lol.
Doesn't matter anyways. One of the RV parks here don't allow trailers nor do they allow outside w/d. They said that's why they have ours.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
MH = Mobile Homes? Because mobile homes cost a whole lot more don't they? I mean you can get a pretty crappy one for cheap, but that's not an option. To have one you would need land, which we don't. If we found one we would have to pay to move it to the land. We would also have to pay for rent on the land as well as water/electricity etc. When we move to FL we don't want to have to move a mobile home there with us either. With a RV we are paying a flat $500 a month for all of our rent/utilities, investing money in the RV instead of throwing it away on rent like we are now and it's going to be much easier and cheaper to tow it to FL than a mobile home would.
It also seems easier to add a w/d unit to an RV we like rather than having to get one we are only satisfied with because it has a w/d already.

Besides, I think we would be happier with a RV we love w/o a w/d than a older 2004 model that has a w/d.

Doesn't matter if it's a pain to install them, I'm not going to be the one doing it. haha.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Just this last year, we've had neighbors in 2 different locations that had full sized W/D's instead of the RV Apt size we use.

One in NC had it on their concrete patio, just off the steps of the 5er. They kept it covered with a tarp when not in use. They had been in the RV Park/MH Park for at least 3 mos before we arrived. He was working in the area and they were long term. DH helped them load up the W/D when they found a cheaper RV Park closer to his job. First he moved the 5er, then he came back for the W/D.

Second one in GA had it in a cargo trailer parked next to his TT. They were military and had been there for 6 mos.

At the same RV/MH Park, DH helped install a all-in-one combo in the 5er right behind us. She had just arrived for 6 mos training on the base, found a used combo in Atlanta and he helped put it in the closet since her husband wasn't with her.

We've also seen other full timer's with cargo trailers loaded with full sized refrigerators, work tools and generators. Usually there's another person driving a 2nd truck that tows the trailer while larger TV tows the 5er. Everyone has special needs.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Which is exactly what we're doing. We aren't buying the truck anymore. It's only going to cost $125 every 3+ months to have it moved from campground to campground. Then we will just pay for it to move to FL after 3.5 years.

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question about age of unit. You can find an older well maintained unit. Our first RV was 20 years old. Our current RV is 10 years old. In great shape. You need to examine them carefully, looking for leaks and delamination and tire age and condition, as well as condition of the interior and the roof.

You could expand your search to 3-10 years old. If you are going to move the unit twice in five years, you could hire a company to move it for you instead of buying the truck.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Why haven't you looked at MHs?

Don't try to add a w/d latter - to much in electrical that needs to be run, drain lines (whether to holding tank or separate line directly to drain, etc.

Did someone tell you that this process was easy. Finding exactly what you want at the price you want to pay isn't easy, but if done right it will be worth it. If done wrong, you'll end up muttering and soon the whole experience will go south and you'll be back sitting and watching the weeds grow.

Personally, I wouldn't fulltime without a w/d. Yes, the loads are small - so what. It isn't like I have to sit and watch them go round and round. Start a load and go fix dinner, watch some TV, go to bed (often do towels overnight). Just make sure you have a balanced load (2 prs of jeans and 2 Tshirts, etc.) and soon you have clean dry clothes to put away without having to schlepp to a laundry room, and all of my undies are still their original colors.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
I did take a look at them, but I still think they are really confined and still think the 5er are the best bet.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Don't cross the toy hauler off your list, after all you don't need toys to have one. Turn the garage area into a real man cave or laundry room ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. To tell the truth when i was writing the information i did not see the two Messages ahead where you put your limit in lol. I am sure you will come up with something. Good luck.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestion. Terrible price lol. The 2011 Copper Canyon that I listed above is $21,300. Which is $1,300 past her limit, but I had to persuade her a lot to go that high to get this one with a lot of storage. Now, with that being said, is it possible still to find a nice sized one with a w/d capability? Doesn't have to include one, as long as I can have one installed; then that's fine. Thanks again!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Give a look at one of these.
Excel Winslow 31RSE Has a W/D Prep in the Fwd bedroom. Try to find a 3 year old unit with a installed W/D. Have a look at www.excelrvs.com/5th Wheels
See if it will work for you. Just a suggestion for you.
Good luck,
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
See, we're still new to everything. We were solely set on a travel trailer, then someone talked us into (fairly easily) into 5th wheels. They seemed to be better for full-time since they were bigger and about the same price range. I didn't know toy haulers were even an option as far as full-time and haven't even looked at them. I'm assuming the "garage" is all insulated and can be used as another huge room?

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Good response. Anything to persuade me not to have to keep looking forever for the right layout, price and one with a w/d hookup. There's about 30-50 5 wheel in my area on RV trader and I think I might have seen one or 2 with a w/d. They were either very small RV or just way too expensive. As like over $10-20k on our max price. The toy hauler is definitely a no though. We aren't traveling anywhere. We are staying in one spot for next 2.5 years then going from VA to FL and staying in one spot there. Not looking for a vacation or to haul a "toy" just looking so save loads of $$.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to search RvSearch.com and look at a few more units. Ask on Rv.net about how good a certain manufacture is for full timing, and who might have one, if they recommend them to friends or only people they don't like anymore.

If you find a 10 year old Horizon RV, it is made for full timers, and probably will be in excellent shape even after 15 years of full time living in one. Others are not so well built. If you find a Horizons, look for a large truck to pull it, like a F-450 or F-550.

Before buying the truck, make sure the trailer weight will be compatible with the truck, or if you have one, you are limited by it's cargo rating. Many write here "I have a new 2500 Duramax rated to tow 14,000 pounds, however I can not find a fifth wheel that has less than 1,200 pounds on the pin, so I am WAY over my cargo rating if I take the wife and kids along." Many answers include get a dually. The highest weight rating for many years with single rear wheels was the 2005 and newer F-350. 2004 and earlier where only rated at 9,900 GVWR, while the diesel 4X4 crewcab weight was nearly 8,000 pounds, so towing capacity was very low, cargo rating dismal. Fine with the 460" gas engine, and regular cab, curb weight around 5,500 pounds and could carry 4,400 in the bed and cab.

One of the toy haulers that I found had dual 100 gallon fresh water tanks, and only a 60 gallon grey tank. This is fine if you are in a campground, or base housing campground. In the desert, most places it is fine to water the plants, if there are not any adjacent campers. Hoowever it is frowned on in National Parks, and will carry a stiff fine. This trailer also has washer dryer hookup, lots of storage, bunk beds in the back you can lower and then fill with cargo while moving from one base to another.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com