cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Relocation / Temp living in RV

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
We have been out of RV'ing since 2012 or so when we sold our Class C. Our previous RV was a mid 70's 22ft TT that my parents gave us when we relocated back from Germany (circa 2000). Ultimately we had an RV for both of our relocations and it was a great experience, especially with pets.

We are looking at a potential relocation from PA to FL in a year and know that an RV will make the whole ordeal a much better and simpler experience. With several cats, we doubt we will find temporary living options (hotel or corp apt.) accommodating. Plus an RV will remove the pressure of selling / buying a home before company funded temp living expires.

That said, we are trying to determine if a 5th wheel, TT or toy hauler of either variety is the best route. We are hoping to pick up a cheap (yes cheap) unit that can be quickly sold upon moving into new home. Thinking of a budget between $5-10k (cheaper if the market is better for selling). Thought process is that price range should also sell fast. However, Florida is a buyer's market, so I am uncertain if my logic holds true.

Long term RV plans include a truck camper that we can tow a Center Console boat around Florida, but this isn't conducive with full timing with pets, even for a short time.

Our F250 is set up for a 5th wheel and I even have a BD3 hitch (we were looking at moving to a 5th wheel when we sold the motorhome).

I figure classic travel trailers in the 22-30 ft class probably sell quickest in the $5k price range, but a 5th wheel will tow better and offer more room. I am not too concerned about taking a ~$2-3k loss on a unit, especially if we end up using it for 6 months.

What about a Park model? Years ago, FEMA trailers were cheap and were build for short term living.

Thoughts? Recommendations? We haven't been in the RV market for some time and I know things have changed a little.

Edit: I should add that it is just 2 of us now, our daughter is now grown and out of the house.

Thanks,
OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW
11 REPLIES 11

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Is moving to Florida a certainty. I mean moving to the Gulf Coast, Alabama or Mississippi might be a cheaper option, even East Texas.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on the area, you can find less expensive parks. Not many amenities, but if it's temporary, a place to park with hookups is all you should need. We use rvparkreviews.com and look by state/city. You can view the parks in the area , connect with their website if they have one, get an idea of the prices and amenities as well as reviews of the place. Very useful website.

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. The cost for long term stays are more than I expected. Our 2001 relo RV stay was $300 a month...prices seem to be $800-1500 plus electricity.

The wife is still committed so we are on the hunt. Iโ€™ve found some Carriage models that are a little more than my original price range, so we are considering spending more and actually keeping the unit. We believe we will travel more once we are back down south.

Now for the next question; can you get more for your money buying a used RV in the south (Florida) and make it worth ferrying up to PA?

Thanks again. All advice (for and against) are welcome. There is a LOT of experience here and you have made me think and understand the full scope of what we are planning.

Thanks
OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
For Florida, do check out the campsites. We found them expensive and small in general but it's a big state.

Otherwise, your budget is fine and you should be able to find a camper in your size range. Make sure to check it out well, especially for leaks and that everything works but very reasonable to do so.

As long as you don't buy a total lemon or trash it (several cats...???), it should be easy to sell once you are settled. Bumper Pull, 5th wheel or toy hauler shouldn't matter much in terms of being able to sell.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
research the sale market in where you may want to sell, then look at where you could buy. A toy hauler in NC or Pa. aint worth much resale in snowbird Fl.
What sells in Fl. for premium may be a bargain in other places.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest before you pursue this idea any further, you get out and look at RV's in the price range you are considering. You can start with your local dealerships right where you are at in Pennsylvania before dealing with private individuals. You'll get an idea real fast what your money is buying.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œbut a 5th wheel will tow betterโ€œ

Not relative for a one way, one time trip IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Temporary living in a RV has hidden costs you have not mentioned. Lot rent will be $500 plus depending on the location and quality of the park. You will pay for electricity on monthly lot rents, which will be $60 to $200 monthly. Trying to keep a RV comfortably cool in the summer in Florida may be a challenge. Feeding quarters into a coin laundry can add up quickly- expect about $10.00 weekly!

Unexpected repairs and maintenance issues on a very used RV can also add up quickly. You may be lucky and have nothing. An over burdened A/C unit that fails will be $800 to $1000. The same for the refrigerator and water heater.

Before you commit to a RV for temporary living, you should check with apartments, corporate housing, and other temporary housing options. You may find pets do not pose that much of an obstacle.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Know that "as is" means it's yours and don't believe any warranty statements. I would NOT put down a deposit. And truthfully consider that there may be no value when you sell and you will have spent maintenance dollars. Hopefully you will do better but ???
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It doesn't seem like a toy hauler offers anything you need for house hunting. So any of the 3 trailers based on price and condition.

And top of the list on condition consider: Flood damage, salt damage, unseen water damage and everything else associated with condition. I suspect that for 1 year you don't want high maintenance costs.

In your price range you will likely find a number of marginal units for various reasons. Certainly no fun to wake up with water dripping on you or discover a soft floor etc. Perhaps avoid slide outs, yes less living space but repairs can be very costly and for 1 year may be the best choice.

Before any purchase have YOUR own complete PDI and spend as much time as required. Dealers sometimes charge for their PDI to show you how to turn of the stove. And above all remove the purchase emotion and be prepared to walk on any purchase for any or no reason. ?? Check everything: refer, charger, HW, stove, etc. And for your area the A/C is very important.

By complete I mean up on the roof to check, underneath to check for rust and other issues, water damage everywhere like under a toilet or bed, walls, under cabinets. I would run from any RV with a Lipper frame if not other Lipper equipment as they seem to be the low cost and low quality supplier.

Check tire DOT dates and load range. And new tires don't mean they are adequate for the RV along with some junk brands available. Along with that check rig weights and tire maximum weight capability. Check that the trailer brakes actually work.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Craigslist in the area you are thinking about for cheap RV's
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller