cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Toilet??

ML
Explorer
Explorer
Am posting here because replacement toilet priorities may be different between full time RV'ers and part time or vacationers.

We have an older rig that has had issues with the toilet since we bought it. Our current unit is a Sealand Traveler various parts have leaked. We have had them repaired but getting tired of it and looking to replace it with a good quality unit.

If you replaced yours what did you choose?

Any toilet recommendations?

Has anyone had any experience with this unit:

Thetford Toilet TECMA Silence Plus Electric High Bone 38456
ML
19 REPLIES 19

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
My throne lasted about the same amount of time. I was going to fix the water valve again, but decided on new unit as the inside was showing some corrosion. Thought it was good time to do full replacement. The blade valve assembly issues could be more then replacing the whole unit.
before deciding on replacement, try it out first to see if it is comfortable and does not wobble.
I had the problem with the blade valve 2 years ago. When I removed the toilet and disassembled it I found the valve and surrounding encapsulation was caked with mineral deposits. I had to scrape it off with a putty knife. I was going to replace the seals while I had it apart but could not see how the blade seal came out so I reassembled it and put water in it and it held overnight in my garage. I realized even with a new seal it would never hold water with the buildup of the mineral deposits.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My throne lasted about the same amount of time. I was going to fix the water valve again, but decided on new unit as the inside was showing some corrosion. Thought it was good time to do full replacement. The blade valve assembly issues could be more then replacing the whole unit.
before deciding on replacement, try it out first to see if it is comfortable and does not wobble.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ML
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear Thetford lasted 18+ years. The cost of the valve sure makes sense vs a new toilet. Unfortunately not able to do the repairs our selves so will see what the repairman says. My only concern past potential water damage is the crack in the porcelain near the top of the bowl?? Could just be the surface glaze but if deeper may have no choice but to get new.
ML

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
turbojimmy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
This one is real nice.

I got that one and also had to get a kit to adapt my old bolt pattern to the new one. It only adds 1/4" of height on that Dometic. We love it. Well the women love it. I really don't care, except when the women are happy, so there you go.
I think I paid $50 for a new valve that was leaking in my 18 year old Thetford toilet. For $84 it makes more sense just to replace the whole toilet.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus with a ceramic bowl and water sprayer has served us well since 2008. When we bought our current coach last year, the Plus was promptly moved from the old coach to the new one. The seat height and style are identical to the residential toilet in our cottage.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
ML wrote:
Am posting here because replacement toilet priorities may be different between full time RV'ers and part time or vacationers.

We have an older rig that has had issues with the toilet since we bought it. Our current unit is a Sealand Traveler, various parts have leaked. We have had them repaired but getting tired of it and looking to replace it with a good quality unit.

We just spent yesterday replacing the ball, upper seals, spring cartridge, water valve, and flexible floor seal on ours, same model. Tedious job and took about 3 hours of our labor. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the already assembled lower unit instead of the various pieces. Don't want an electrical one - just one more electrical thing to develop gremlins. :E

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

horizon36
Explorer
Explorer
We installed this Dometic 510H several years ago. Like it.
Dometic 510H
Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
This one is real nice.

I got that one and also had to get a kit to adapt my old bolt pattern to the new one. It only adds 1/4" of height on that Dometic. We love it. Well the women love it. I really don't care, except when the women are happy, so there you go.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

ML
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this model on the camping world website: Sealand Concerto

The big difference seems to be a handle vs a pedal to flush?
ML

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I've found PEX tubing and pliers at both Home Depot and Lowes
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

ML
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips thanks for the help.
ML

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Yes I have. Go to camping world they usually have an entire aisle dedicated to toilets and all of them set up to and you will be able to see actual models of them all to choose from.

That said. Bought one that was taller than that fall down to sit low one all RV's come with.

Took my toilet out while at a CG no problem real easy to do.
BUT
I did buy the taller toilet and forgot that the water hoses to the new one would be too short. It is almost impossible to find pex and RV water hose at local stores. So I had to take it off and put the old one back on. :S

So if you do change it out for a taller one or add the pedestal to make your existing one taller. Don't forget to buy extra line and the connection fittings for it.

I just added a Sharkbite shutoff valve.
Now I can secure water to toilet for cleaning seal/ball etc. w/o having to turn water off to RV
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I used a lavatory stainless steel supply line to extend my water line. 1/2 pipe on both ends.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have. Go to camping world they usually have an entire aisle dedicated to toilets and all of them set up to and you will be able to see actual models of them all to choose from.

That said. Bought one that was taller than that fall down to sit low one all RV's come with.

Took my toilet out while at a CG no problem real easy to do.
BUT
I did buy the taller toilet and forgot that the water hoses to the new one would be too short. It is almost impossible to find pex and RV water hose at local stores. So I had to take it off and put the old one back on. :S

So if you do change it out for a taller one or add the pedestal to make your existing one taller. Don't forget to buy extra line and the connection fittings for it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.