cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trading home for RV.

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about going full-time, but want to get rid of our house so we don't have a lot of overhead while travelling. I was thinking about doing a trade for an RV from someone who wanted to give up RV'ing, and go back to bricks and sticks.

Any suggestions on where would be a good place to advertise that?
16 REPLIES 16

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
In this area, homes don't appreciate. I'd rather rent in another state than own a house in Oklahoma. If my health or my wife's goes bad, we can settle down somewhere else.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I might think long and hard before making a choice such as that. What will your house be worth when the economy improves in say 5 to 7 years and what would even a new MH be worth in the same amount of time? What happens when one of you has health that turns bad and you have to come off the road? We are going thru that even now and it is tough trying to get back to even short trips.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
I've found a few in Texas for that amount, they are older models, but I can deal with that. I don't want another gasser. The suspension sucks on them, and I need something that rides well, and has room for us not to feel totally cramped. I'm also saving money, too, so that will offset the costs.

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck finding a good DP with only 40,000. If you were able to find one it will probably be a much older model and make sure that everything is working because you will incur a lot of $$$ trying to keep things up.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
About $440 per month rent and $100 purchase option at the 10 year mark should do it for rent to own.
Tenant must pay all taxes, insurance and maintenance.
If tenant moves before 10 years, no credit. Clean it up and find a new tenant.

This seems more used Class C zone than DP.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure you would find a decent DP for 40K anyway.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Think long and hard. An appreciating asset traded for a depreciating asset?

X2

X3 bumpy

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
I live in an area where housing is cheap, and I've already tried selling the house, and only get offers to rent to own...bunch of poor rednecks here. I figure if I could get a straight across trade for a good used diesel pusher, I would get a better deal money wise than trying to sell. My home is appraised at 40k, but it would take a LONG time to get that. Renting is not an option, as I don't want to deal with the hassles of a rental, and need a better RV than what I have now to start full-timing.

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we're selling the house..this year..lock..stock..barrel...took us a while to decide..
we don't want maintenance on 2 things.
look @ barter pages...good luck..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 on the rental. And get a used RV unless money is easy.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pangaea Ron wrote:

X2
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rick_flor
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:

It seems like it would be hard to get back in the game if the full-time thing didn't work out. I know that lots of folks make it work, but I'd not be comfortable with that.

Would the house have to be overhead? Could you rent or lease it out? I've not done the actual calculations, so this may be questionable advice?

i would recommend getting a real estate company to take care of your property and rent it out. this will not only give you some peace of mind it will also keep your asset for the future.

my experience tells me that is the way to go, since i own a few, and that is my income until i retire in 16 years.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Sell your house and hold back enough money to buy or lease a s.& b. If full timing isn't for you.

I would take money from the house sale, less my escape money, then buy a rig for cash. You'll get a much better deal buying outright rather than trading. Ask any dealer.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer

It seems like it would be hard to get back in the game if the full-time thing didn't work out. I know that lots of folks make it work, but I'd not be comfortable with that.

Would the house have to be overhead? Could you rent or lease it out? I've not done the actual calculations, so this may be questionable advice?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L