cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to live FT in central NJ?

tolly
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a place I can live full-time in an RV near central NJ? I live near Denville NJ. The closest place I can find is the Costa Trailer Park in Lodi NJ. I wont be able to travel in an RV for another year or so, so I wanted to get one and live in one spot for the first year.
10 REPLIES 10

MilesandSmiles
Explorer
Explorer
With all due respect as a current NJ resident... Why would you want to FT here? We have some of the highest taxes and insurance rates in the nation, a high cost of living, and an estate tax that's close to highway robbery. If you want to be in this part of the country I'd seriously consider going over the river into Pennsylvania, which we Jersey folks call "The land of affordable housing."
Newly retired
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A
www.milesandsmiles.us

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
It's super cold every winter. fla net is right off of route 80/route 46/route206/ itc crossings mall/ international trade zone commercial and one exit to commuter rail line. Not what I would consider a campground but a commuter rest area/ apt. 3/4 of the year.

I live in PA and work in NJ. I know all about the racket.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are not meant for living in single digit temperatures. You can expect many problems with freezing water lines, holding tanks, and holding tank drains. The typical RV gas/electric refrigerator usually will not function at those temperatures. While it is possible for a very experienced RVer to survive RV living in extreme temperatures, it is not for the faint of heart or rookie. It could even be life threatening!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I would almost bet it would be cheaper to rent an apartment during the winter vs CG rent and what it will cost to heat your rig. In real cold weather you will be going thru a bottle of propane every couple days. Propane is $2.99/gallon where I'm at now. Heating with electricity will be real expensive too.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
tolly wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
How's the weather there now? I wouldn't think winters would be comfortable in an RV.

It's very cold! It was 4 degrees this morning. I think I would only spend 1 winter in NJ, after that I can probably go south.

Got to almost 10-below this morning in the Northwest corner of Morris County (near the campgrounds I mentioned). It's not "normal" for this time of year but it does happen occasionally. Got to a balmy 20 degrees by day's end, though.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

tolly
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
How's the weather there now? I wouldn't think winters would be comfortable in an RV.

It's very cold! It was 4 degrees this morning. I think I would only spend 1 winter in NJ, after that I can probably go south.

tolly
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
I don't know the rules in NJ, but I've seen full-time looking arrangements in several local campgrounds including:

FlaNet (Mt. Olive)
Great Divide (Newton)
Panther Lake (Byram)

-Jim

I drove over to FlaNet to see if they were really "closed" for the winter, and there were plenty of RVs there. I will try to call the owner and see if they have any openings for full-time people. Thanks!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
www.timberlanecampground.com
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the rules in NJ, but I've seen full-time looking arrangements in several local campgrounds including:

FlaNet (Mt. Olive)
Great Divide (Newton)
Panther Lake (Byram)

-Jim
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)