cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$12,000 to replace flooring??

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Went into a recommended shop to start the conversation of remodeling our Monaco Dynasty 2001. Just ballpark talk right now.
Said the flooring front to back (40') with 2 slides is in $12-15, 000 range because slides have to come out!?
Wow, that was quite the shock, I guess flooring isn't in the picture!
So 4 slide folks look at $20,000?

Anyone done this?
27 REPLIES 27

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
mike brez wrote:
nancyjerry wrote:
Went into a recommended shop to start the conversation of remodeling our Monaco Dynasty 2001. Just ballpark talk right now.
Said the flooring front to back (40') with 2 slides is in $12-15, 000 range because slides have to come out!?

Anyone done this?

Contact Erniee
He is in Texas and has rave reviews and has done a bunch of rvs

I have an Aunt and Uncle who had Ernie replace the carpet with wood flooring in their rv, and it turned out awesome. Slides did not have to come out and it was no where near $15k. This was on a 40'mh with 2 large slides from the front of mh up to the rear bedroom.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they don't want the job to me as well...shop around. You may get a "coach tax" similar to the "yacht tax" up here but it should still be more reasonable in the end.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Get at least two, and better three, quotes from shops with very good reviews. Then you will know better where you stand.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes shops and contractors will give a high quote because they really don't care to have the job--perhaps they have plenty of work already booked, or there's something inconvenient about the particular job. It's often thought to be better to give a high quote than to refuse to give any quote on a job they're actually able to do.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I changed the living area flooring of my Monaco coach with slides and had no problem installing laminate flooring without removing the slides.
Go to a local flooring company(NOT AN RV SHOP) and ask them about installing your flooring in your RV.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:

Anyone done this?

Contact Erniee
He is in Texas and has rave reviews and has done a bunch of rvs
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:

Anyone done this?

I would ask for a written scope of work. This might give you some idea as to why slides need to be removed etc... I have replaced tile flooring in a 3 slide TT 35" OAL at no where near that cost. What type of flooring are you asking to have put in ? there are some high end flooring today that would be quite expensive. If you are changing floor material be careful to stay within weight limits as a heavier floor will definately affect your CCC.
\I also wonder if your slide is deployed whether you can flip up the carpet that extends from the slide area and see how the current flooring is attached. Seems like alot but as they say sometimes the Devil is in the details.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Just had new carpet laid in our living room. 400 in labor plus the carpet. I think they did not want the job

so same size MH with two LR slides as the OP has asked about???

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:

Anyone done this?

flooring can be done in a coach and slides without removing slides
I did my allegro bus HOWEVER it depends on floor materials both existing and future wants

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
What type of flooring is there now, and what are you wanting to put down?
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Just had new carpet laid in our living room. 400 in labor plus the carpet. I think they did not want the job

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Beware of shops that estimate work so high. It usually means they don't really know what they're doing and are CYAing.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I have never done it, and I suppose the slides ride on the floor... but they slide in and out. Could they not be out almost to the outside, then lifted that tiny amount to take the load off the existing floor, remove it, and replace it, then lower the slide back down that tiny amount?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel