cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1990 Southwind Motorhome starting problem cont'd

april10
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of wks ago I wrote about a problem with our MH starting, but dying within 15 secs or so. My husband hasn't had a chance to look at it, but now that he's laid off, we need to fix it and hopefully, sell it. The story is this: It will start on the second try, run ok for about 15 secs, then spit and sputter and quit. We noticed gas on the butterflies in the throttle body, and white vapor coming from the engine manifold and exhaust when it quits. We're able to start it again, (on the second turn of the key) and the same thing happens again. It does'nt seem to be dying for lack of fuel or air, something else seems to be going on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to find out if you have a fuel, electrical or vacuum problem.

One easy test is spraying WD 40 or starter fluid (short squirts) into the throttle body as soon as it starts to see if will continue to run.

Usually vacuum problems will cause a bad idle and not shut down, fuel or electrical can cause the shut down.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
But is it fuel injection or Carb. My 1990 is a carb. I wonder if the ignition switch could be bad. I'd had a similar problem on mine where you could crank and crank but if you let off of the key it would start. but you could also wiggle the key and make it quit.
Click
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

april10
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks alot, we'll work on that later today and let you know.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
OK, wait one huge second. I think we have a different problem. If there is fuel on the butterflies, and some smoke, I would bet one or both of the injectors is sticking partially open. This is even more likely with the fact that this is an RV in that RVs often sit unused for extended periods of time. When you first turn the ignition on, the injectors pulse a little gas into the throttle body. There should be a mist that stops soon after turning on the key. If the injector drips after that, it is stuck. Try whacking the injector with the handle of your screw driver. You may even need to whack it, when the key is first turned on, to break it loose under power.

If you do not see a drip, and the fuel does mist when the key is first turned on, then I would go for electrical. Ignition coils can short out at the most opportune time. If the coil is partially shorted, you can probably get it to run temporarily by unbolting the coil from the engine and laying it on a piece of cardboard so it is electrically insulated from ground. I had this sort of thing bite me after an engine change in one of my Jeeps. I was sure I had not wired something correctly, but it turned out to be a partially shorted ignition coil. It would run for a short period and then die. I didn't find it, until I put an oscilloscope on the input of the coil. When coils short out, the normally short to the core, which is bolted to the engine. By unbolting it, you insulate the core, and it sort of works, or at least works well enough to conclude what is wrong.
IRV2

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same symptoms on a 1990 chevrolet van, it was the fuel pump,
A short rubber tube in the pump was split, once replaced it ran like new.
you may see fuel..but check the fuel pressure..
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

april10
Explorer
Explorer
when we first turn the ignition key, it just "clicks", on the second turn it will crank over and start briefly. With the air filter removed we saw fuel on the butterflies (it seems to be getting enough fuel)

april10
Explorer
Explorer
We bought and drove it home (2 hr trip) last Sept without a problem. We gave it a test drive about 3 wks ago, and it was just fine. We actually sold it, but it broke down 30 mins after new owners drove it away. We refunded their money, towed it home, and here it sits.

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
You need to nail down what is really going on, electrical or fuel. The fact that it doesn't start on the first crank is suspicious. I lean towards fuel.

I would try giving it a shot of ether down the intake right at the first crank. If it fires, then you have a fuel problem. If you can keep it running with short bursts of ether, again confirms a fuel issue.

Good luck, let us know how it progresses.

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
You likely need to change the fuel filter(s) You could also have a fuel pump problem ,and if the unit has a Carb ,that may require an overhaul.

How long has it been since this Old Gal had a Run? Old fuel can cause lots of problems with older rigs.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD