Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1993 Safari continental 37' cracked frame, bad shock install

Psam
Explorer
Explorer
What a nightmare.

Did some front end work recently, noticed that both sides of my frame are cracked at the shock mounts connecting to the frame.

Who in their right mind uses a bolt without a washer or a back plate?!
Especially on a load bearing component.

Pioneer metal works in Washington state did this.

This is what they had to say:
"We put our product on in the original shock bracket position where the manufacturer had put the original shock bracket. We did not drill any additional holes that might weaken the frame. What we added did not add any additional stress to the frame. - Pioneer metal works

Clearly, they have relocated the shocks.

Thanks for reading, ill keep you updated.

Pictures:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1993-safari-continental-37-cracked-frame-from-a-botched-koni-shock-installation-471798.html
14 REPLIES 14

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck on your pending repairs. I have had to replace the stud that was welded to the frame several times on different RVs over the many years due to frozen or bent shocks that broke them off.

Bruce_Brown
Psam wrote:
The aftermarket koni shocks were installed by pioneer metal works, I have the invoice.
The coach had 1 shock per side from factory.
They changed the geometry of the front shocks, stressing the frame.
I got a quote last week at $7000 for the repair.
after some shopping around, got all the metal needed for the repair for $100
and got a good quote at $800-$1200 for the repair.
I am going to sandwich the cracked area with Channel frame steel and a fishplate on both sides.

The shocks and mount are lose to the touch due to the cracks.
The ride is ok, until 45MPH i hear a knocking sound and slight vibration.

Be sure to drill a hole at the ends of the cracks or they'll just keep growing.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Psam
Explorer
Explorer
I got this coach 2 years ago and have been remodeling the interior.
My reasons for buying this specific unit was it has a:
-mechanical 12 valve 8.3 cummins/6speed alison.
-Aluminum house frame
- One of the lightest class A's at 23000LBS with a powerful powertrain.
-floor plan.
-value for money.
Nothing even came close at $12k

Psam
Explorer
Explorer
The aftermarket koni shocks were installed by pioneer metal works, I have the invoice.
The coach had 1 shock per side from factory.
They changed the geometry of the front shocks, stressing the frame.
I got a quote last week at $7000 for the repair.
after some shopping around, got all the metal needed for the repair for $100
and got a good quote at $800-$1200 for the repair.
I am going to sandwich the cracked area with Channel frame steel and a fishplate on both sides.

The shocks and mount are lose to the touch due to the cracks.
The ride is ok, until 45MPH i hear a knocking sound and slight vibration.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
And when you are done looking at the pictures, scroll down to post #7 and read and comprehend the first sentence.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem isn’t the travel of the suspension. It’s the leverage those brackets are putting on the frame! If they were properly mounted to the frame with a bracket that attached the bottom of the bracket to the frame then it wouldn’t have that twisting motion. With it being mounted with 2 bolts at the top it’s acting like a pivot and stressing the frame which is what is causing the cracks. If it were mine I would extend the bracket so that it is bolted below it also it would eliminate the stresses on the frame!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you figure out how you are going to repair, ensure that you put in suspension travel limiters so that you do not over extend the travel of the shock.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You’ll need an expert or experts to prove your case. Is it worth that expense? You might, might get your costs back if you win. Twenty-six year old MH isn’t going to impress any judge or mediator.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the photos provided, your first photo needs to zoom out a little more to show more context. I can't tell for sure what's going on there, but, it's clearly been there for a while. (the cracks/corrosion) For sure, it's NOT an OEM/factory installation. Who did that is any ones guess. You could be blaming the wrong culprit. The bracket/spacer (I don't know) mounting bolts appear to be simple hardware bolts, a definite NO for structure/suspension work! Grade 8 or better only. So, . . . . . someone ADDED another front shock to each side and moved the top shock mount location? Yes? No? Please explain. A photo showing the complete suspension assembly would help clarify. Relax, IMO, it's not the end of the world, . . . . at least not yet.

Chum lee

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Well by the first picture the shocks have definitely been moved. In your second picture you can see the crack jumping across the old mounting hole. Cracks typically do not jump across holes so I would bet that the cracks were there at the old mount location and the installer moved the mounts to try to stop the issue and then the cracks spread.

Is the MH fairly new to you? Could the mounts been moved by the previous owner because of the cracks?

What I do find a bit concerning is that nobody called you and said there are cracks in your frame and here are the options we can come up with to fix it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pictures are not the same. Crack does not show thru and you have a brake line going thru one and not the other.

Explorer
Explorer
PICTURE HERE
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Psam
Explorer
Explorer
They were installed in 2010.
Yes, I bet the cracks appeared over the first pot hole after the installation.

Bad engineering.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pictures look like they have been in that position fo a very long time. And the shocks, hardware don't look new! The cracks in the frame have been like that for a while judging by the rust that is showing.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!