cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1995 Conquest cruise control not working

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 1995 Conquest class c and on driving home I noticed cruise control not working. I have read where Ford had a recall on this problem. Has anyone had the problem and the best way to check and repair the cruise control ?
14 REPLIES 14

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Do not forget to check the switch on the brake pedal, it has to be closed making contact this is what turns the cruise control off when you step on the brake, it has an adjustment nut.

navegator

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
I drove the rv again today and the ABS light came on but when I would stop and turn the engine off the light would go off but would come back on when I restarted . Does that affect the cruise control ? I am in process of trying to see why the light comes on, I suspect a sensor somewhere ?

tiogaearl31
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem. All fuses good. Turned out to be clock switch. Ford repair shop indicated that this was a common problem.

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
I checked them with an ohm meter and all showed a circuit.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Your talking about a 21-22 year old MH with 6100 on the OD ... So do the simple things first... Are there more than one fuse panel too in it ??

As for checking the fuses , you said all were good . Question how did you check them ? If just visually looked at them and didn't see any blown ? Pull each individual fuse and reinsert it. I had come across a few where the customer had said the fuses looked good . Then only to find that yes the fuse was good and not blown , but the contacts were corroded enough to cause the open circuit so to say!
I've had on an occasion to actually take a bit of emery cloth and clean the fuse holder contacts from the corrosion build up then reinsert the fuses..

Just a thought ...

Kinda like when the TV remote doesn't work you take the cover off the back and roll the batteries and then it works fine ...

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all
I will run the test and let you know what I find. Right now I am trying to reseal everything so it want leak. Lot of places have dried out from where it has sat for most of the time.

ConnieP
Explorer
Explorer
We had a problem with our Ford also and it turned out to be the clock spring. My husband ordered one online and changed it and the problem was fixed. Hope this helps.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, look up thorssell. net. It has all the info needed for self testing. There is a wiring and parts diagram and a troubleshoot list. You don't have to pull a steering wheel to check the clock spring. There are checks at the cruise control amp that will let you know if all the switches work. Good luck

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
Found fuse panel under dash and checked all fuses, all good. Checked pressure switch on master cylinder, it is ok. I have a scanner that I am going to hook up to see if it throwing a code.

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
I might also add this rv has been sitting for quite a while. It belonged to to an older man that died and only has 6100 mile on it, that is one of the reason I bought it. It had only been on short trips less than 200 miles. Every thing else works as supposed too.

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
I have only driven it from where I bought it to home. I did have a ABS light most of the way home but it is gone out now. I could not get the cc to work coming home. Is the fuse panel located in dash or under hood ?

CaptainCal
Explorer
Explorer
Need more information. Does it work some of the time or not at all. Number one problem is the pressure switch on the brake master cylinder, could be speed sensors or PSOM in the speedometer.

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks j-d I am still trying to find the fuse panel. I will look up the test procedures, thanks again.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do a gOOgle search for test procedure. Your chassis, as 1994 or 1995 is NOT OBD-2 so you don't have a test port under your dashboard. The Cruise is tested separately from the underhood OBD-1 connector near the master cylinder. Once you find the Cruise test process AND the connecting point, it should blink out a code suggesting what's wrong. That said, here's what I've seen and heard about cruise failure on these:

Rear ABS (RABS) brake sensor called Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) mounted on the top of the differential. But if it's out, there's usually a Check Engine indicator and the transmission may not go into Overdrive.

IF you don't have a Driver Side Airbag (doesn't say "SRS" on the horn pad) THEN

Clean the Cruise switch contacts in the steering wheel spokes. I haven't done that but a neighbor did, and was successful fixing his.

Possibly the "Clock Spring" in the steering wheel hub has a bad connection to something for the cruise.

Again, DON'T mess with the Wheel if you have SRS!!!

If your Brake Lights work properly and no fuses are blown, I don't think the Ford recall (switch on master cylinder) will help. You can visit a Ford dealership with your VIN and they can tell you what applies and if it was ever done.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB