cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 dodge xplorer ac question need quick help please

sammy64
Explorer
Explorer
hi guys, moms out in the motorhome by herself about 600 miles from home and the rear ac (house) quit working it worked the other day and she fired up the generator and turned it on and it did nothing last night i had her check the breakers down by the floor BUT i dont know if there is any others? she cant find the plug end for the ac? i thought it was in the cabinet but she cant find it, ANY body give me some help i can help her over the phone with???? where extra breakers are or plugs??? its going to be in the 80s there and she needs the air, thanks,,,,,

PS everything else electric is working,
9 REPLIES 9

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for closing the loop with the answer. Now maybe this thread will benefit another Xplorer sometime in the future. Too many never respond back once they have the answer.

Jim, "My spirit animal is the gummy bear."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
So happy that she was able to work it out with your help. Ours does not have a breaker on the cord itself but I have tripped the breaker near the floor under the bed more times that I like to admit!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

sammy64
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE...... and fixed !!!!!

thanks for all the reply's,,,,,,

yes its a house ac in a cabinet overhead in the back, yes the plug is WAY in the back of the driver side cabinet.... AND the end of the cord has its own gfi type breaker in it ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž somehow when she put stuff in that compartment she must have hit the "test" button and tripped the plug ๐Ÿ˜ž i found the gfi plug info online and called her with it but she isnt able to climb up to get into that cabinet.... so she stopped at a garage and offered to pay the guy to check it for her, it was tripped he reset it and she has ac. good thing because its in the 90s where she is now ๐Ÿ˜ž NO charge from the garage for doing it so she slipped the guy a 20 and told him to have a good supper out ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I think some Xplorers had typical RV roof A/C's, and others had window-type units mounted thru a floor cabinet. Which are we dealing with here?

Regarding the indoor breakers, if she didn't actually cycle them off & back on, there's a possibility that one is tripped without showing it.

If the A/C doesn't even make a humming sound, I'd first suspect that it's not getting power (breaker of other issue), or that the thermostat or switch has gone bad. If the latter, it'll take more skill than a typical DIY'er to diagnose & fix.

If the microwave is working when running the generator, the issue is not the main breaker on the generator. But for future reference, and assuming it's on Onan of the Micro series, the main breaker is located inside the black service door. There's a start switch panel in the lower left corner, and the breaker is a small toggle handle on the right side of that that panel.

Jim, "My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Also, our plug is in the cabinet in the rear, driver's side, way, way, in the back.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2000 Xplorer gfi breaker is near the edge of the bed (underneath) on the passenger side.

govertime
Explorer
Explorer
Those rear window type AC units are often hard wired (plug cut off) directly to the breaker panel. The breaker panel is often near the floor by the bed (in the rear galley if its a twin bed setup).

sammy64
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
Have her check for a tripped GFI.

When she says 'everything else electric works', does that include any other _120 volt_ devices like the microwave? If not, and if the generator is a small Onan, there's a main breaker on the start panel in the Onan's box.

Does she know the difference between the 12VDC stuff and the 120VAC stuff?

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

hi, yes i had her check the microwave and test the gfi plugs, they all work, i had her open the cover on the generator but she couldnt find any breakers out there...... thanks for the help

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Have her check for a tripped GFI.

When she says 'everything else electric works', does that include any other _120 volt_ devices like the microwave? If not, and if the generator is a small Onan, there's a main breaker on the start panel in the Onan's box.

Does she know the difference between the 12VDC stuff and the 120VAC stuff?

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"